Overclocking through Virtual Machine

Hello everyone

I've got a decent PC with the following specs:

- i7-6700K OC CPU

- 16 GB DDR4 RAM

- 250 GB SSD

- 850W Gold PSU

- Z170 Pro Gaming MoBo

However, I have 4 x 2TB HDDs + 1 x 2TB SSHD + multiple external HDDs. Shuffling between them is getting difficult. I use my PC for different things, especially CAD/CAE, and least is gaming.

Therefore, I thought about turning my machine into a NAS server, and run Windows through VM on unRaid. 

I use Asus AI Suite & Corsair Link to handle OC of my CPU. However, I do not know how well a virtualized system would do compared to a local system:

1 - I do not know if a VM would provide me direct access to the hardware like that for monitoring and control or not.

2 - Is Windows going to detect my Hardware normally, or at least provide the necessary drivers through Windows update, or do I have to cherry pick the drivers I need from the vendors' websites just like in the old days ?!

3 - Linus configured the VM to startup with the system, however, how well the system would do in terms of VM restarts when system reboot is needed.

4 - I have no experience with VMs, so are my files stored on the VM going to disappear if the VM fails for some reason, or worse, whenever the VM is shutdown ?

In conclusion, is it worth it to use my current machine, or build a dedicated set for the NAS ?! 

Especially that I am not a computer collector. 

Cheers

Why not just use snapraid and drive pool in windows. You get a very similar pooling solution and can easily make shares in explorer.

I don't see a reason to use vms here, it will just make your system harder to use and more complicated. 

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not just use snapraid and drive pool in windows. You get a very similar pooling solution and can easily make shares in explorer.

I don't see a reason to use vms here, it will just make your system harder to use and more complicated. 

Thanks for the reply mate.

The point of having a NAS box, is that I HDDs in enclosures in the mean time, and managing data between them is getting messy. Therefore, making use of all them with the added benifit or redundancy in a NAS box sound like a good solution, since I will have:

- Redundancy

- Ability to access the data from multiple computers (my desktop and two laptops)

I have an option to pay the price of a new build, or use my current build for dual purpose. The second option is better in terms of space efficiency and cost, but I do not know how reliable it could be in terms of needs. 

One challenge is building the array while I have the data on drives already, since I am not in support of buying new clean drive, while I have enough drives that are already in a fair condition. That's off-topic here.

cheers

I have no experience with unRAID but if the OS requires that the disk be formatted into a unRAID specific format then from there it's injected into the VM and then allows you to put your NTFS partition in that then no, you will not be able to unplug the drive, stick it in any PC, and read the NTFS partition.

In this instance if I have virtualized OS's on a server I have their NICs on the same local network. I then open drive sharing over the network. It then lets me offload all the data on disk from within the VM to outside the VM then I can eject the disk, clean it and reuse it for something else or copy the data back with a native NTFS partition.

Edit: Watching the video Electronics Wizardy linked I think it's a better solution than using unRAID. The DrivePool software essentially creates a JBOD volume with whole files stored on each drive then the snapraid software dedicates one drive to parody for redundancy. I would opt to do that over virtualizing my OS.

Just now, Amyrro said:

Thanks for the reply mate.

The point of having a NAS box, is that I HDDs in enclosures in the mean time, and managing data between them is getting messy. Therefore, making use of all them with the added benifit or redundancy in a NAS box sound like a good solution, since I will have:

- Redundancy

- Ability to access the data from multiple computers (my desktop and two laptops)

One challenge is building the array while I have the data on drives already. 

snapraid and drivepool lets you keep the data on the drive.

The desktop would work as a nas, it just wouldn't use unraid, it would use windows.

You can share files in windows. This setup will also have redunancy and the same pooling as unraid.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

snapraid and drivepool lets you keep the data on the drive.

The desktop would work as a nas, it just wouldn't use unraid, it would use windows.

You can share files in windows. This setup will also have redunancy and the same pooling as unraid.

In this regard, I've got a question, since I run a dual OS machine (Windows/Linux). If I log into Linux, how am I going to access my data on the disks ? Are they going to appear like normal drives connected. 

Plus, in this case, I believe when Windows and SnapRaid & DrivePool are not running, the data will not be accessible on other computers. 

These are the disadvantages I see for such a configuration, which is not totally bad. 

6 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

1 - I do not know if a VM would provide me direct access to the hardware like that for monitoring and control or not.

probably not - the whole point of a virtual machine is to NOT have direct access to the host hardware. at least not to the CPU and RAM - if you are passing thru a PCI card (like the graphics card for example) that card should be directly accessible by the guest OS

7 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

2 - Is Windows going to detect my Hardware normally, or at least provide the necessary drivers through Windows update, or do I have to cherry pick the drivers I need from the vendors' websites just like in the old days ?!

i think so. the "virtual hardware" provided by the VM host software is usually pretty basic stuff - every windows since XP should have drivers included.

if the the real hardware (PCI cards and such) is passed thru correctly then it should just detect like it would on a non virtual system

15 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

3 - Linus configured the VM to startup with the system, however, how well the system would do in terms of VM restarts when system reboot is needed.

if you shut down the host system, all VMs go down of course but you can restart the virtual systems as many times as you like without affecting the host system. and if you plan to run a NAS on the same system - just don't restart or shut down the host system to keep the NAS accessible

18 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

4 - I have no experience with VMs, so are my files stored on the VM going to disappear if the VM fails for some reason, or worse, whenever the VM is shutdown ?

VMs typically use a "virtual disk image" - all your virtual systems "harddrive" is stored in one large file somewhere on the host machine. it will be like a normal harddrive to the virtual system

if your VM refuses to boot for some reason you can mount its "virtual disk" in another VM and back your files up - just like you could take your computers harddrives out and plug them into another computer if your computer fails to boot

25 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

In conclusion, is it worth it to use my current machine, or build a dedicated set for the NAS ?! 

i'd just put larger drives into my computer or have an independent NAS on a fast network connection - i would put all my files there and use the usb drives as a "cold" backup (that means, back up everything, unplug the drives and put 'em somewhere safe)

1 minute ago, Amyrro said:

In this regard, I've got a question, since I run a dual OS machine (Windows/Linux). If I log into Linux, how am I going to access my data on the disks ? Are they going to appear like normal drives connected. 

Plus, in this case, I believe when Windows and SnapRaid & DrivePool are not running, the data will not be accessible on other computers. 

These are the disadvantages I see for such a configuration, which is not totally bad. 

In linux they will just show up as standard ntfs drive. You can make anouther pool in linux aswell.

Id suggest just using linux in a hyper0v vm though.

59 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

VMs don't have direct access to the hardware. That's the whole point. VMs only have access to what the hypervisor gives it, and even then, only under the hypervisor's terms.

If you're talking about the guest OS, that depends on what the hypervisor offers. Most of the time the hypervisor emulates common hardware for the guest OS. If you need more, you'll have to install something either on the guest OS or the hypervisor itself. For instance, VirtualBox has Guest Additions that you can install on the guest OS to make the VM/host transition less painless. It also has extensions to enable more hardware options like USB 3.0 emulation.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you need to restart the host machine, then obviously the VMs would have to shut down. And then you'll have to wait for the VMs to boot up in addition to the host OS and/or the hypervisor starting. If you need to reboot the VM, you can do that without affecting the other VMs.

All VMs store their data in a virtual hard disk file. The only way for a VM to "fail" is if either the hypervisor crashes (which to the VM itself,  would act as a sudden power loss) or the virtual hard disk file gets mangled (outside of what the VM might've done). If you want peace of mind about what happens on your VM, you can back up the virtual hard disk file once in a while.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

VMs don't have direct access to the hardware. That's the whole point. VMs only have access to what the hypervisor gives it, and even then, only under the hypervisor's terms.

If you're talking about the guest OS, that depends on what the hypervisor offers. Most of the time the hypervisor emulates common hardware for the guest OS. If you need more, you'll have to install something either on the guest OS or the hypervisor itself. For instance, VirtualBox has Guest Additions that you can install on the guest OS to make the VM/host transition less painless. It also has extensions to enable more hardware options like USB 3.0 emulation.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you need to restart the host machine, then obviously the VMs would have to shut down. And then you'll have to wait for the VMs to boot up in addition to the host OS and/or the hypervisor starting. If you need to reboot the VM, you can do that without affecting the other VMs.

All VMs store their data in a virtual hard disk file. The only way for a VM to "fail" is if either the hypervisor crashes (which to the VM itself,  would act as a sudden power loss) or the virtual hard disk file gets mangled (outside of what the VM might've done). If you want peace of mind about what happens on your VM, you can back up the virtual hard disk file once in a while.

2 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

probably not - the whole point of a virtual machine is to NOT have direct access to the host hardware. at least not to the CPU and RAM - if you are passing thru a PCI card (like the graphics card for example) that card should be directly accessible by the guest OS

i think so. the "virtual hardware" provided by the VM host software is usually pretty basic stuff - every windows since XP should have drivers included.

if the the real hardware (PCI cards and such) is passed thru correctly then it should just detect like it would on a non virtual system

if you shut down the host system, all VMs go down of course but you can restart the virtual systems as many times as you like without affecting the host system. and if you plan to run a NAS on the same system - just don't restart or shut down the host system to keep the NAS accessible

VMs typically use a "virtual disk image" - all your virtual systems "harddrive" is stored in one large file somewhere on the host machine. it will be like a normal harddrive to the virtual system

if your VM refuses to boot for some reason you can mount its "virtual disk" in another VM and back your files up - just like you could take your computers harddrives out and plug them into another computer if your computer fails to boot

i'd just put larger drives into my computer or have an independent NAS on a fast network connection - i would put all my files there and use the usb drives as a "cold" backup (that means, back up everything, unplug the drives and put 'em somewhere safe)

Thanks a lot dear :) !

On 3/3/2018 at 8:12 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

In linux they will just show up as standard ntfs drive. You can make anouther pool in linux aswell.

Id suggest just using linux in a hyper0v vm though.

I see.

Correct me if I am wrong please. You are saying that:

- Linux would detect the Raid array as normal drives attached to the system. Thus, I can access my data on them normally, but about the parity drive ?!

- The same drives can be utilized in a pool created in Linux, which would keep NAS functionality up and running even when I switch from Windows to Linux and vice versa. 

So, as a result, two pools created in different systems, would use the same drives. However, if I create two arrays using the same drives, wouldn't there be some mess, or would be fine if I select the parity drive to be same in the two pools in both systems ?!

- Does SnapRaid support mounting a pair of SSDs in Raid 1 as Cache for the pool ?!

22 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

I see.

Correct if I am wrong please. You are saying that:

- Linux would detect the Raid array as normal drives attached to the system. Thus, I can access my data on them normally, but about the parity drive ?!

- The same drives can be utilized in a pool created in Linux, which would keep NAS functionality up and running even when I switch from Windows to Linux and vice versa. 

So, as a result, two pools created in different systems, would use the same drives. However, if I create two arrays using the same drives, wouldn't there be some mess, or would be fine if I select the parity drive to be same in the two pools in both systems ?!

- Does SnapRaid support mounting a pair of SSDs in Raid 1 as Cache for the pool ?!

Its not a raid array, its a pool of drives with a file level parity.

You can see all the data on the drives in linux as there just ntfs drives with files. 

It would be much easier to just always run windows and use hyper-v in windows for the linux use. Id suggest against dual booting here.

-No cache here, But what are you doing here, It will be faster than unraid due to how its doing the parity.

3 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

In this sense, there would be no chance to monitor the CPU using Corsair Link, or configure anything about OC from within the OS using Asus AI Suite (I have to refer BIOS whenever any change is needed).

If I have my Virtual Machine terminated, would I have the files saved the VM folder you described deleted with the termination of the host OS ?!

Regarding having the disks in my PC, I usually highly prefer to keep my data on external storage, in case the system fails or suffers from malware infection. More importantly, I access my data from multiple computers. Thus, a NAS sounds like an ideal solution to me. Having a pool of drives using SnapRaid sounds like a good solution, however, it does not provide independence for my storage from my computer, although it save me the money of a new build.

So, now I have to make my mind between unRaid and running Windows and any other OS on VM, or having a stable installation of Windows and running a pool with SnapRaid+DrivePool, which is going to collapse whenever I have an issue with my system or decide to format. 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its not a raid array, its a pool of drives with a file level parity.

You can see all the data on the drives in linux as there just ntfs drives with files. 

It would be much easier to just always run windows and use hyper-v in windows for the linux use. Id suggest against dual booting here.

-No cache here, But what are you doing here, It will be faster than unraid due to how its doing the parity.

Can I share the pool I create in Windows wirelessly through an ethernet connection to a wireless access point/router or a client ?!

I know that a client would receive the wireless signal and provide that through ethernet to the device. But I am not sure if the storage would be recognized as part of the network through the client's ip or not. This works for repeater bridges & WDS from my experience. 

1 minute ago, Amyrro said:

Can I share the pool I create in Windows wirelessly through an ethernet connection to a wireless access point/router or a client ?!

I know that a client would receive the wireless signal and provide that through ethernet to the device. But I am not sure if the storage would be recognized as part of the network through the client's ip or not. This works for repeater bridges & WDS from my experience. 

You can share the pool in windows like any other nas using cifs. This will be mountable in other systems. You can also have other programs like plex or nextcloud if you want.

Wifi will be slow, use wired if at all possible.

Storage is just like anyother traffic, it you can see that pc on the network, they you can use the storage on it.

18 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Regarding restart, I was referring to having the configurations of Windows update and software installation set after rebooting the VM as in teh case with the local OS reboot.

Furthermore, if I shutdown the VM on unRaid, I would be left with nothing to access, other than the unRaid page which is pretty much useless. So, how would I launch the VM again without referring to another computer and use the unRaid webpage control panel ?!

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can share the pool in windows like any other nas using cifs. This will be mountable in other systems. You can also have other programs like plex or nextcloud if you want.

Wifi will be slow, use wired if at all possible.

Storage is just like anyother traffic, it you can see that pc on the network, they you can use the storage on it.

I would like to use wired connection, however, I have a single ethernet port on my MoBo, and it may not be practical to have a very long cable to drag with me allover the house. I guess 5Ghz would provide bearable speeds, and I can switch to wired connection, whenever I am in my room. 

9 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

I would like to use wired connection, however, I have a single ethernet port on my MoBo, and it may not be practical to have a very long cable to drag with me allover the house. I guess 5Ghz would provide bearable speeds, and I can switch to wired connection, whenever I am in my room. 

You plug your computer/nas into the switch. Then eveything else plugs into the switch. You don't directly go the pc. If you want wireless, the switch goes to your wireless access point and then goes over wifi.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You plug your computer/nas into the switch. Then eveything else plugs into the switch. You don't directly go the pc. If you want wireless, the switch goes to your wireless access point and then goes over wifi.

That's an idea.

Another thing about SnapDrive+Drivepool. Does this support 2 parity drives ?! I may like getting some extra protection here, even by sacrificing one drive, and having the peace of mind. 

Also, if I have 4 x 2TB connected drives, can you please explain how would 1 x 2TB drive hold data as a parity drive for the other 3 x 2TB (6TB total) drives ?!

8 hours ago, Amyrro said:

That's an idea.

Another thing about SnapDrive+Drivepool. Does this support 2 parity drives ?! I may like getting some extra protection here, even by sacrificing one drive, and having the peace of mind. 

Also, if I have 4 x 2TB connected drives, can you please explain how would 1 x 2TB drive hold data as a parity drive for the other 3 x 2TB (6TB total) drives ?!

yep you can have upto 6 parity drives.

the parity has to be the same size as biggest data drive. It works by using reed solomon slgrothrms to be able to restor data on any drive.

easy way to think abou it.

drive 1: has a 101, drive 2: 111: drive 3 001.

lets add this all up and we get 011.  Now if any drive dies can can take the parity and subtract the data from the rest of the drives and we will have the data again.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the parity has to be the same size as biggest data drive. It works by using reed solomon slgrothrms to be able to restor data on any drive.

lets add this all up and we get 011.  Now if any drive dies can can take the parity and subtract the data from the rest of the drives and we will have the data again.

Sounds good. 

Other things that came to my mind are:

1- Since the drives are going to hold different files, instead of strips of files as in the case of FreeNAS & Raid:

- Is it possible to treat the drives as separate disks, by mounting them as separate volumes and organize how and what files I want to save on each of them ? This may help in data organization, as well as volume sharing over the network.

- How can I distinguish drive is holding a certain file or certain group of files ? (don't know if this is possible on unRaid, but I know that it keeps different files on different drives)

- Is it possible to take out one drive and mount it to another computer and still use the files in it (that's assuming it is possible to control and distinguish which file is saved on which drive).

2- unRaid offers the chance of prolonging my possession of the drives by spinning them only when a file on them is called, otherwise, it spins down the drives, which gives a longer life for the drives compared to FreeNAS.

OFF-TOPIC:(my main HDD has been a WD 2TB Green for almost 7 years, give or take, and according to crystal-disk-info, it is still in a good condition. Other guys had similar drives later than, but already failed. I believe, part of it has to do with the feature of the WD Green that it spins down the drive when not used for a long time to save energy, besides my usage style, as I switch on the enclosures when the drives are needed).

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Another thing regarding SnapRaid+DrivePool

How does it behave when it comes to drive defragmentation ?!

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Amyrro said:

Sounds good. 

Other things that came to my mind are:

1- Since the drives are going to hold different files, instead of strips of files as in the case of FreeNAS & Raid:

- Is it possible to treat the drives as separate disks, by mounting them as separate volumes and organize how and what files I want to save on each of them ? This may help in data organization, as well as volume sharing over the network.

- How can I distinguish drive is holding a certain file or certain group of files ? (don't know if this is possible on unRaid, but I know that it keeps different files on different drives)

- Is it possible to take out one drive and mount it to another computer and still use the files in it (that's assuming it is possible to control and distinguish which file is saved on which drive).

2- unRaid offers the chance of prolonging my possession of the drives by spinning them only when a file on them is called, otherwise, it spins down the drives, which gives a longer life for the drives compared to FreeNAS.

OFF-TOPIC:(my main HDD has been a WD 2TB Green for almost 7 years, give or take, and according to crystal-disk-info, it is still in a good condition. Other guys had similar drives later than, but already failed. I believe, part of it has to do with the feature of the WD Green that it spins down the drive when not used for a long time to save energy, besides my usage style, as I switch on the enclosures when the drives are needed).

1. Yep all the drives are mounted with their own letter. Drive pool just makes one big pool so its easily to manage. You can not use drive pool and just threat them as separate drives. But your normally better off using the pool and making folder for organization.

- The drives are in a pool, you should basically never look at the drives them selves, but you can look at the contents of the drive in explorer if you want to know whats on it.

- Yep you can mount the drives on any other system, there just ntfs drives.

2. Yep windows does spindown. But this often doesn't make the drives last longer, its mainly there to save power. Having the drive spinning doesn't hurt life much, and doing spin up and spin down will hurt it a bit.

- The wd greens do head parking, not spindown, and if under heavy on/off load they can wear out. Also a drive that is 7 years old is near the end of its life anyways and slower so id keep it out of the main array.

35 minutes ago, Amyrro said:

Another thing regarding SnapRaid+DrivePool

How does it behave when it comes to drive defragmentation ?!

Thanks 

There just ntfs drives, so you can defragment them with any defragmention program. But normally with media files, you don't have do defrag them as there big files not moved very often. I wouldn't worry about defragging them.

44 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There just ntfs drives, so you can defragment them with any defragmention program. But normally with media files, you don't have do defrag them as there big files not moved very often. I wouldn't worry about defragging them.

Hi again 

Thanks for the reply

I have been checking some threads on different forums. 

Interestingly, I have found some, including this one, which refer to a shortcoming in SnapRaid, the it does not provide real-time protection. 

https://hardforum.com/threads/unraid-or-snapraid-not-sure-which-one-to-go-with.1801222/

The turn-around suggested by the guy called "saiyan" is to set a windows scheduled task to get the realtime action of the parity drive. 

Any thoughts ?!