Core i9 7940X vs. Ryzen 1950X?

Good evening, I just wanted to ask, before I commit to a Threadripper build, does the Intel Core i9 7940X have any advantages over the 1950X, aside from a slightly higher over clock that I should consider? Thank you in advance, and here is the build I have in mind: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Isabella_Shiri/saved/G6WvVn

FWIW, the two WD Reds will be running in a raid 1 configuration. Sorry, I forgot to mention that the main purpose will be for music and video production. 

1 minute ago, Zic05 said:

Ryzen

Thank you very much, I'm really looking forward to doing my first Ryzen build. 

there's some intel exclusive stuff such as thunderbolt and optane, but do you really need/want those and have to pay extra?

on amd you get extra pcie lanes and nvme raid for free, while on intel you need to pay for nvme raid.

intel's clockspeed may be higher but in games for example it doesn't matter, it's just 2 or 3 fps difference. Productivity-wise, depends on the program, but usually 1950x wins due to extra cores.

so unless you need intel's few exclusive stuff, then just take the 1950x

2 minutes ago, The Viking said:

there's some intel exclusive stuff such as thunderbolt and optane, but do you really need/want those and have to pay extra?

on amd you get extra pcie lanes and nvme raid for free, while on intel you need to pay for nvme raid.

intel's clockspeed may be higher but in games for example it doesn't matter, it's just 2 or 3 fps difference. Productivity-wise, depends on the program, but usually 1950x wins due to extra cores.

so unless you need intel's few exclusive stuff, then just take the 1950x

Thank you very much, I pretty much thought the same thing. I can afford an Intel build, but why pay extra? I'd really love some thunderbolt 3, but I'm getting a Mac Pro later, and really want to go with Ryzen for my daily driver. 

I would change the ram to 2 quad channel kits vs all those dual channel kits.The odds are 2 dual kits to work as a quad channel is 50/50.With a quad channel kit its been tested all 4 ram sticks work together and happy.Like said i9 vs threadripper the threadripper wins but for clock speed besides that id take the threadripper over the i9.

4 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

I would change the ram to 2 quad channel kits vs all those dual channel kits.The odds are 2 dual kits to work as a quad channel is 50/50.With a quad channel kit its been tested all 4 ram sticks work together and happy.Like said i9 vs threadripper the threadripper wins but for clock speed besides that id take the threadripper over the i9.

Thank you very much, I didn't know the ram came matched up like that. I will absolutely go with quad channel ram now that I know. 

And whatever motherboard you use look up the ram compatibility chart for that board and buy ram from that list helps cut down ram problems.

4 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

Something to watch

Thank you very much, I'm gonna watch it now. 

8 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

And whatever motherboard you use look up the ram compatibility chart for that board and buy ram from that list helps cut down ram problems.

Thank you very much, I usually plan builds out on PC Part Picker just for that reason. 

Pc part picker only scans by ram speed the board will take.The ram compatibility chart will show you the part number of the kits they have tested and shown to fully work good.

8 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

You really don’t need to, just update your BIOS to the pastes version.

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

Be carefull about the mobo though, seems a few manufacturers haven't made them very well and some of them have failing ram channels. Check the reviews on amazon or youtube/reddit just to make sure there aren't issues with the board.

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

Be carefull about the mobo though, seems a few manufacturers haven't made them very well and some of them have failing ram channels. Check the reviews on amazon or youtube/reddit just to make sure there aren't issues with the board.

Thank you, I've seen the reviews, and the Taichi seems to get the highest marks. 

Just now, Ripper7620 said:

Thank you, I've seen the reviews, and the Taichi seems to get the highest marks. 

X399 Taichi?

I have X370 Taichi, pretty good overall :D 

Post some pics of the build later on maybe :) 

Just now, The Viking said:

X399 Taichi?

I have X370 Taichi, pretty good overall :D 

Post some pics of the build later on maybe :) 

Definitely. 

• 1 month later...

update?

No doubt TR is a potent platform.Comparing with 7940x today cost wise AMD will be cheaper, not less than 300 USD. Performance wise 7940x has edge almost on all fronts.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-7940X, Motherboard: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK AC, Ram: 64 GB G Skill Ripjaws 16gb x 4, Graphics Card: GTX 1070 8gb, Storage: Samsung Evo 850 Seagate Baracuda 2tb x 2, Display: LG 27ud68p-b 4k.

Let there be light I Cinebench: 3208https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/vcGNP3