Will my laptop run a 4K monitor?

akirivan

Ok, so I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 520 laptop for school. It has 16GB RAM, a dual-core Core i3 7100U processor (2.4GHz) with Intel HD Graphics 620. Unfortunately, the screen has a resolution of only 1366x768, so I really want to buy an external monitor for when I work at home. Will it run a 4K monitor or should I just go for 1080p? I don't do much gaming, if any so that's no issue. Also, is there a way to check whether my HDMI port is 2.0 or not? 

I think 1440p is much better especially at 27inches it is nice not to need display scaling.

15 minutes ago, akirivan said:

Ok, so I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 520 laptop for school. It has 16GB RAM, a dual-core Core i3 7100U processor (2.4GHz) with Intel HD Graphics 620. Unfortunately, the screen has a resolution of only 1366x768, so I really want to buy an external monitor for when I work at home. Will it run a 4K monitor or should I just go for 1080p? I don't do much gaming, if any so that's no issue. Also, is there a way to check whether my HDMI port is 2.0 or not? 

The only way to check the spec of the hdmi port is either in the manual or the companies website. I would recommend against running a 4k monitor for well anything as with an i3 and integrated graphics it may bog down the computer quite a bit. I would go for a 1080p screen unless you are planning to use the 4k screen with a different computer in the future. 

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg7k2R

A nice 4k IPS display to keep for the better half of the decade.

I'm pretty sure it is able to drive the display at 4k, and probably do something, but nothing gaming related, at all.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.