Garage Computer Scrapyard Build

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

So being an evolutionary upgrader (maybe I made that up) I have stockpiles of parts that have come out of my systems over the last 15yrs of computer building plus a spare laptop with a mostly dead keyboard.  I wouldn't mind having a machine for my garage to look up car parts on or watch a YouTube video of how to take something apart.

I've got a spare monitor, keyboard, and mouse so I'm not really worried about that on either system.  Which combo (or subtle variation) would you pick of my scrap pile for a computer that at most does surfing and excel spreadsheets?

Paraplegic Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1545 (https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-1545-15-6-p-t4200-vista-home-premium-3-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/specs/) with a mostly dead keyboard.  It's up and running on Windows 10 but I've had to hard reset the system a few time in the past as its been a backup laptop for years.  It's got enough IO and a monitor out to work with some adapters.  Also has an optical drive.

Scrapyard Micro-ATX: Basically the guts of my old system since I'm going Coffee Lake with some of the original stuff I have pulled out over the years

CPU: i5-2500 with stock Intel copper core cooler

MoBo: Intel P67 with one bad DIMM slot (why I'm going Coffee Lake)

RAM: 2x4Gb DDR3

GPU, Got a choice here since P67 has no integrated graphics: GTX-260 Core 216 or a GTX-450 with a hacked together cooler after the original fan died

Case: Ancient Micro-ATX system from when I build an Athlon 64 system back in 2003, requires micro-ATX power supply which I have though it needs a new 24 pin connector

HD: I'd steal the one from the Laptop with Windows 10 already on it.

If I used the laptop I'd just sell the core, i.e. CPU and RAM, of the old system (doubt anyone would buy the MoBo but I'd throw it in free with the CPU which someone might buy)  for cheap on craigslist.  If I went with the Scrapyard system I'd just e-Waste what I didn't use to stop cluttering up my shed with parts that are well beyond even scrape together usage.

General thoughts?

I'd do the desktop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Desktop, but I'd get a new case and PSU... They are pretty cheap these days as I wouldn't trust that ancient PSU.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

9 hours ago, JDE said:

Desktop, but I'd get a new case and PSU... They are pretty cheap these days as I wouldn't trust that ancient PSU.

Good point on the power supply.  The one I have would probably run that GTX-450 but I doubt it would handle the 260.  I have a full ATX 500W power supply that I pulled earlier this year to get an 80+ Gold unit in there.  Would just need to find a cast off case capable of handling the bigger supply.  I did check if I could cludge it into the micro-ATX case I didn't see a way I could without having to leave the side panel off for airflow to it.

Related question:

GTX-450 or GTX-260?

Got a free ATX case from a friend which had some stuff in it but amazingly it's even older than what I have for a scapheap system.  I tossed my spare power supply in there, moved my main system over to the new Z370 Extreme4 with an 8600K and some new DDR4 and moved the old micro-ATX board over complete with RAM and tossed a working (but I forgot I hadn't registered) copy of Windows 7 in there and tossed in my passively cooled GTX-430! and it's running though windows is beating me up about making it valid and since this is a license off of the scrapped laptop, it might not like it till I get it working in the laptop and then mess with moving it over.  We'll see if I can get it working.