Need help on a good psu

adzygamer15

Hey guys, i'm currently building my first pc and i have the parts but needed some help on a psu (power supply), i currently have a corsair cx750m but it has that green logo so i want something more powerful and worth while. i would still be happy to buy a corsair power supply but i just need some recommendations. i was looking at/got told the corsair tx550M, tx650M or tx750M but i was unsure if this was good enough or for the same price get a better one. i'll list my parts below but if you can recommend something good to do some major overclocks and to game on quite regularly, cheers

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BTDLr6

This is a PSU tier list, it should show the quality of most PSUs, though I dunno how trustworthy it is. I don't know anything much about PSUs as I've had problems with mine (corsair vs series) but if you are unsure about the PSU, type the name of it and then add "Jonny Guru" at the end for a professional review. He reviews PSUs and tells you if they are quality enough. One thing though, always look out for some Japanese capacitors in your PSUs, you don't want them exploding. 

EDIT: your PSU is a Tier 2, not sure how good that is but yeah.

25 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

This is a PSU tier list, it should show the quality of most PSUs, though I dunno how trustworthy it is. I don't know anything much about PSUs as I've had problems with mine (corsair vs series) but if you are unsure about the PSU, type the name of it and then add "Jonny Guru" at the end for a professional review. He reviews PSUs and tells you if they are quality enough. One thing though, always look out for some Japanese capacitors in your PSUs, you don't want them exploding. 

non-Japanese caps are far from the ancient garbage they used to be, they're not uncommon on T3 units that we generally recommend.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

non-Japanese caps are far from the ancient garbage they used to be, they're not uncommon on T3 units that we generally recommend.

Hey, it's you again. Also, I've heard that Corsair had CWT make their PSUs, and they have bad soldering on some of them.

21 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Hey, it's you again. Also, I've heard that Corsair had CWT make their PSUs, and they have bad soldering on some of them.

what other brand would be good

46 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Yes and the only reason for them is Marketing because People believe strongly in Capacitors that are made in China for a japanese company.

43 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Yes, if they didn't change much and you know where to look, you find some rather ugly parts...

Mostly its the hand made parts...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, adzygamer15 said:

Hey guys, i'm currently building my first pc and i have the parts but needed some help on a psu (power supply), i currently have a corsair cx750m but it has that green logo so i want something more powerful and worth while. i would still be happy to buy a corsair power supply but i just need some recommendations. i was looking at/got told the corsair tx550M, tx650M or tx750M but i was unsure if this was good enough or for the same price get a better one. i'll list my parts below but if you can recommend something good to do some major overclocks and to game on quite regularly, cheers

Your PSU is fine.  There's not much difference between the old 750's and 850's and the new ones.  It's the lower wattage versions that were significantly revised.

Of course, a TX-M would be even better.  That's a very good PSU.

7 hours ago, AskingForAFriend said:

You should post when you can say "I know" instead of "I've heard".

CWT makes some of Corsair's PSUs.  Including the CX-M.  Not the TX-M, however.  PSUs from any factory can potentially have bad soldering.  Like @Stefan Payne said, it's typically where a PSU is hand soldered.  But whether or not that has to do with the life span of your PSU has little impact.  I'm more concerned with PSUs with cold solder joint issues, which can cause SMT components to pop off the PCB without any warning.  That's not a problem I've seen with CWT because they do their own in-house PCBA.  Can't say the same by many of your list's "tier 1" PSUs.

9 hours ago, adzygamer15 said:

Your CX750M is fine, don't replace it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

CWT makes some of Corsair's PSUs.  Including the CX-M.  Not the TX-M, however.  PSUs from any factory can potentially have bad soldering.  Like @Stefan Payne said, it's typically where a PSU is hand soldered.  But whether or not that has to do with the life span of your PSU has little impact.  I'm more concerned with PSUs with cold solder joint issues, which can cause SMT components to pop off the PCB without any warning.  That's not a problem I've seen with CWT because they do their own in-house PCBA.  Can't say the same by many of your list's "tier 1" PSUs.

CWT seems to be way better than many might think. 
They have their problems and their soldering depends on what line you use, some are pretty good, some are not so good. 
The Additional PCBs leave a bit room for improvements. 

But that's just nitpicking right now...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Your PSU is fine.  There's not much difference between the old 750's and 850's and the new ones.  It's the lower wattage versions that were significantly revised.

Of course, a TX-M would be even better.  That's a very good PSU.

You should post when you can say "I know" instead of "I've heard".

6 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Your CX750M is fine, don't replace it.

so if i keep my cx750m it will be safe and nothing is dangerous about using it in this new build? if i have to i will be happy to get the tx750m but just need to know the difference between the cx and tx

15 hours ago, adzygamer15 said:

so if i keep my cx750m it will be safe and nothing is dangerous about using it in this new build? if i have to i will be happy to get the tx750m but just need to know the difference between the cx and tx

The TX is better in every way. You’re CXM isn’t worth replacing though.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The TX is better in every way. You’re CXM isn’t worth replacing though.

oh okay cheers, why are people saying to replace the CXM though?

20 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

Who has said that?

:)

3 hours ago, adzygamer15 said:

Most people are referring to the lesser CX's of old, the ones lesser than 750W. The 750W and 850W are a different platform from the rest and are fine.

Most people are referring to the lesser CX's of old, the ones lesser than 750W. The 750W and 850W are a different platform from the rest and are fine.

okay cheers, so i'll keep my psu but if i have spare money i'll buy a tx750 or tx650, so this is my list now, https://pcpartpicker.com/user/adzygamer15/saved/bW42RB , is this good?

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

is their a main difference between the tx 550, 650 and 750? besides w

1 hour ago, adzygamer15 said:

Nope.

PCPP says that your list uses 350W, however it is a little conservative I've found.

650W would be a comfortable size, allowing for upgrades as well.

Please don't upgrade your power supply though, it's a waste of money when you already have something solid that works.

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

9 hours ago, adzygamer15 said:

The TX750W is minutely better, but don't buy it unless you plan to use dual GPUs or some HEDT CPU overclocked.

8 hours ago, BenR31415 said:

Nope.

PCPP says that your list uses 350W, however it is a little conservative I've found.

650W would be a comfortable size, allowing for upgrades as well.

Please don't upgrade your power supply though, it's a waste of money when you already have something solid that works.

51 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The TX750W is minutely better, but don't buy it unless you plan to use dual GPUs or some HEDT CPU overclocked.

okay cheers!