How many fans per system fan header?

Docretier

It depends on the motherboard and the fans you are using. Usually the recommended amount is no more than three standard fans (so no Noctua Industrials).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Without asking the manufactured directly best you can do is guess. However I once did ask a while back on an ASRock HD81M-HDS and got this replay

Please refer the following to get the Maximum amps of each header of the motherboard.

- 1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin)  -> 0.8A
- 1 x Chassis Fan Connector (4-pin)  -> 0.8A
- 1 x Power Fan Connector (3-pin)  -> 0.5A

Same applies to fans, they will differ. However I expect you will finf most fans draw less the 0.1A. Although if you look at something like a Noctua industrial fan it draws 0.18A.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Most case fan headers are rated for 1A of total power draw. Meaning you can connect up to 4 fans, depending on how much they draw power. Generally 2-3 is suitable. Some newer mobos have high amperage headers with 2A or 3A rating. Naturally those can take more.

1 hour ago, keskparane said:

Same applies to fans, they will differ. However I expect you will finf most fans draw less the 0.1A. Although if you look at something like a Noctua industrial fan it draws 0.18A.

Usually fans use 0.2-0.35A. Noctua Industrials go up to 0.67A.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Most case fan headers are rated for 1A of total power draw. Meaning you can connect up to 4 fans, depending on how much they draw power. Generally 2-3 is suitable. Some newer mobos have high amperage headers with 2A or 3A rating. Naturally those can take more.

Could you please explain how to work it out? Because Noctua say 0.18A. Why is that number incorrect?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 hour ago, keskparane said:

Could you please explain how to work it out? Because Noctua say 0.18A. Why is that number incorrect?

I seem to have remembered wrong. Highest is 0.33A. For 24V iPPC 3000rpm. I said up to. Meaning that there's fans that demand lower amps also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2018 at 7:14 PM, LogicalDrm said:

if you run the fans at sub 1000rpm then 4 should alsways work, correct?

4 minutes ago, 45HardBall said:

if you run the fans at sub 1000rpm then 4 should alsways work, correct?

I can't answer that since I haven't tested how amps change on any fans. Besides, system will boot with all fans at full speed. Are you willing to overload header just because of that?

Also, make your own thread, this one is 2 years old. Locked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv