cluelessgenius

HDR and Dolby Vision

Posted · Original PosterOP

so im about to build my home theater setup. getting a new tv, planning to do some diy ambilight stuff, new receiver new speakers the whole deal.

the question is if i connect my pc to the tv via hdmi would hdr and dolby vision from netflix and amazon work?

now if i connect my pc to my receiver and from there to my tv does the receiver have to support hdr and dolby vision as well ?

same for hdmi splitter?

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX770 TF 2GB  SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Custom IN WIN 901

4 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

the question is if i connect my pc to the tv via hdmi would hdr and dolby vision from netflix and amazon work?

If Windows detects the display as an HDR capable one, then yes.

now if i connect my pc to my receiver and from there to my tv does the receiver have to support hdr and dolby vision as well ?

Yes. It has to support at least HDMI 2.0 or whatever

same for hdmi splitter?

If it's passive, no.

Edited by M.Yurizaki
7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If Windows detects the display as an HDR capable one, then yes.

wow thanks -.- the question is will it detect or do i need to look for some certified splitter/receiver 

Yes. It has to support at least HDMI 2.0 or whatever

If it's passive, no.

no here are some answers i can work with thanks.

so the receiver im looking at does seem to support it (say so duh, couldve noticed that earlier)

for the splitter im not sure it seems to be a hit n miss even among so called hdmi 2.0 splitters oh yeah and most of those i lokked at are active if that means the are powered

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX770 TF 2GB  SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Custom IN WIN 901

Spend more on a fancier receiver and it will have dual simultaneous outputs for tv and projector. You decide what to do with them.

netflix and amazon require a Kaby Lake or newer processor.

HDR support is a god damn joke. I wouldn't be worried about it at all. 

man this whole thing is so complicated i havent looked into tv and al this stuff for years all these standards and handshakes.

so i saw these projects where people made their own ambilight with raspberry pi and led strips and thought that was really cool since it was higher res than the oem ambilight some tvs have but now with 4k and HDR i need a 4k splitter that also passes through HDR, Dolby Vision and HDCP and then from there i need a 4k to composite converter in hope it will dumb it down anough for the composite to usb grabber connected to the pi. jesus christ. most dificult is dolby vision. its hard to find information wether or not a product supports it.

also maybe i was naive but i thought a splitter would just 1 to 1 split the signal no mattter the signal. didnt know it had to support all the standards as well.

all of this would be way easier with standard full hd but noohh my stupid ego and me wanting to be up to date isnt letting me.