HDR and Dolby Vision

cluelessgenius

so im about to build my home theater setup. getting a new tv, planning to do some diy ambilight stuff, new receiver new speakers the whole deal.

the question is if i connect my pc to the tv via hdmi would hdr and dolby vision from netflix and amazon work?

now if i connect my pc to my receiver and from there to my tv does the receiver have to support hdr and dolby vision as well ?

same for hdmi splitter?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

4 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

the question is if i connect my pc to the tv via hdmi would hdr and dolby vision from netflix and amazon work?

If Windows detects the display as an HDR capable one, then yes.

now if i connect my pc to my receiver and from there to my tv does the receiver have to support hdr and dolby vision as well ?

Yes. It has to support at least HDMI 2.0 or whatever

same for hdmi splitter?

If it's passive, no.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If Windows detects the display as an HDR capable one, then yes.

wow thanks -.- the question is will it detect or do i need to look for some certified splitter/receiver 

Yes. It has to support at least HDMI 2.0 or whatever

If it's passive, no.

no here are some answers i can work with thanks.

so the receiver im looking at does seem to support it (say so duh, couldve noticed that earlier)

for the splitter im not sure it seems to be a hit n miss even among so called hdmi 2.0 splitters oh yeah and most of those i lokked at are active if that means the are powered

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Spend more on a fancier receiver and it will have dual simultaneous outputs for tv and projector. You decide what to do with them.

netflix and amazon require a Kaby Lake or newer processor.

HDR support is a god damn joke. I wouldn't be worried about it at all. 

man this whole thing is so complicated i havent looked into tv and al this stuff for years all these standards and handshakes.

so i saw these projects where people made their own ambilight with raspberry pi and led strips and thought that was really cool since it was higher res than the oem ambilight some tvs have but now with 4k and HDR i need a 4k splitter that also passes through HDR, Dolby Vision and HDCP and then from there i need a 4k to composite converter in hope it will dumb it down anough for the composite to usb grabber connected to the pi. jesus christ. most dificult is dolby vision. its hard to find information wether or not a product supports it.

also maybe i was naive but i thought a splitter would just 1 to 1 split the signal no mattter the signal. didnt know it had to support all the standards as well.

all of this would be way easier with standard full hd but noohh my stupid ego and me wanting to be up to date isnt letting me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you're exactly going to watch in HDR10 or Dolby Vision. There is barely any content. And while movies are coming out very slowly with support, I am not sure if it's really worth it at this time.

Truthfully, HDR, in general, is about five years too soon. I keep repeating... it's not worth getting excited over just yet. A nicer display, in general, is worth much more than the silly stickers, logos, and non-standardized standards.

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

I'm not sure what you're exactly going to watch in HDR10 or Dolby Vision. There is barely any content. And while movies are coming out very slowly with support, I am not sure if it's really worth it at this time.

Truthfully, HDR, in general, is about five years too soon. I keep repeating... it's not worth getting excited over just yet. A nicer display, in general, is worth much more than the silly stickers, logos, and non-standardized standards.

ok so if i were t ignore all that do you hso upscales ve any specific suggestion for a good 55" tv?

i get that content is like non existent right now but as i understand it the better the certifications the better it also upscales standard content and the better it lookes in general. e.g. the sony 55XE9305 is one the brightest panels out there und look georgous and happens to support all the hdr standars but in terms of rice its a bit too blose to oled but then againg oleds tend to be a bit darker...

On 1/24/2018 at 2:57 AM, cluelessgenius said:

-snip-

I would stick to a brand name for a television. After $1,000 to $1,200 USD you are pretty much chasing hopes and dreams with incremental improvements. I've had good luck with Samsung over the years. I am not certain about LG or Sony.

With CES over, the older models are surely to go on a reasonable sale. Last year's models are nothing to scoff at either.

My time frame for a television is 7 to 10 years. OLED burn in or aging LED dimming... you will eventually buy another one. Televisions don't last forever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 5:57 AM, cluelessgenius said:

ok so if i were t ignore all that do you hso upscales ve any specific suggestion for a good 55" tv?

i get that content is like non existent right now but as i understand it the better the certifications the better it also upscales standard content and the better it lookes in general. e.g. the sony 55XE9305 is one the brightest panels out there und look georgous and happens to support all the hdr standars but in terms of rice its a bit too blose to oled but then againg oleds tend to be a bit darker...

What is your budget (and in what currency)?

The "hierarchy" of TV's (this is with Media consumption in mind, not gaming per se) is generalized into this:

1. OLED - pretty much the best. LG seems to be the king here, but Sony makes some also

2. Quantum Dot/Quantum Crystal: Samsung's QLED TV's are goddamn great - they have higher brightness over OLED but worse blacks. Sony's XBR E900 series are also Quantom Dot tech, and are similar, yet generally slightly below, Samsung's QLED's - the XBR's tend to be a bit cheaper.

3. Other LED LCD TV's - there's still a wide range of quality here, but they're generally all below Quantum Dot tech.

I personally have a Plasma, which is kickass, but hey, they stopped manufacturing them back in 2014.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)