Tips on becoming a touch typist?

Ningeal

Hey, I recently purchased a Noppoo Choc Mini with a ANSI layout.

I have been using the computer ever since I was little and have developed a "unique" style of typing (German ISO layout).

Now since I have to sorta get used to a completely new layout, I thought I might aswell learn to type properly aswell.

I am currently using TypingStudy.com and been doing for two days now. I hope I can show my progress at the end of the year.

Do you guys think this website is any good or do you have other preferances / methods?

Try not to use special software to do it as i found it very boring and frustrating, try playing pc games instead like fps's or rpg's as thats what i did and i just ended up touch typing one day i didnt even realise i was doing it

Let me put it this way; when I was but a wee boy of ~10, Runescape was out -- this was like 2003.

RuneScape used to force you to type your entire "buying steel armor" to get anything ever. It took a ridiculously long time, and you easily typed 10K+ words a day.

The reality is, because I used to type the same thing over and over and over, I got quick at typing. Now, 10 years later, I can type 85-90 words a minute without error.

My advice? Don't try to type in a way that you're "supposed" to type in. I type with my two forefingers mostly, I use my thumb for spacebar etc... but my fingers are a blaze on the keyboard. The easiest way to learn is to just type a LOT.

Here's a good idea; try to write at least 25 posts on Linus Tech Tips per day helping people with builds and whatnot, and you'll quickly become faster :)

Download / Get typing of the dead... And play over and over and over. Then do some 10fastfingers...

Or you could do it the more cheap way and buy either blues or browns (any mechanical keyboard that makes some noise whenever the key is registered and sound like you are typing 2 times as fast as your for real are.)

Thanks for all the replies. Of course I do know that I have to pratice like a mad man, I rather wanted to know wether the website I mentioned was any good.

Download / Get typing of the dead... And play over and over and over. Then do some 10fastfingers... Or you could do it the more cheap way and buy either blues or browns (any mechanical keyboard that makes some noise whenever the key is registered and sound like you are typing 2 times as fast as your for real are.)

In fact, I recently bought a new keyboard with browns, lol.

I find it easier to type quickly when I am thinking of what to type, when I am reading text I tend to misread it and mess up (I am kinda dyslexic). As every one has already said the main way is to do lots of typing.

Since you have a mechanical keyboard, get some blank keycaps. That way when you look down you get no help. I've done it and it keeps me from looking down. I left the symbols on for now, so just letters and the ?:"{} keys are blank as well,