hybrid 1080ti's. Can you add that to a custom WC loop?

Selah

I'm working on building the mount and frame for a wall-mounted rig update. Is it possible to use a 1080ti hybrid (the evga one for example) and add it to a wc loop? I like the looks of it quite a bit more than most blocks available and tbf it'd look really neat mounted vertically.

It won't work well, check out the hydrocopper from evga if you like the style

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I mean you could in theory (DON'T), but why? As Damascus said, check out the Hydrocopper.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

if you remove the hybrid cooler and put a regular waterblock YES, you don't want to add AIO based units to regular loops, you WILL MIX METALS and that will cause it to ROT internally.

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

It won't work well, check out the hydrocopper from evga if you like the style

hydrocopper looks like every other waterblock to me... Just a slightly larger shroud. I like the hybrids since it still uses a fan.

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I mean you could in theory (DON'T), but why? As Damascus said, check out the Hydrocopper.

Because i'm going for aesthetic not maximum overclock. Right now with my 1080 I don't max out the thermals (main games played are r6s, ffxiv, various indie games, minecraft, cs:go. so i'll never REALLY worry about vrm being a thermal limiter. I like the hybrid design because of it's increased core clock potential but I enjoy the blower fan style.

I'd want to replace the soft tubing with hard tubing connected to a 360mm and 120mm wc loop that has either 2 neo res/pumps or redundant pumps and 2 helix res's. I'm running a strawpoll with my discord rn for decision on the pump/res combos and only need to decide on which video card to get.

46 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

if you remove the hybrid cooler and put a regular waterblock YES, you don't want to add AIO based units to regular loops, you WILL MIX METALS and that will cause it to ROT internally.

That's not the question at all.

1 minute ago, Selah said:

Because i'm going for aesthetic not maximum overclock. Right now with my 1080 I don't max out the thermals so i'll never REALLY worry about vrm being a thermal limiter. I like the hybrid design because of it's increased core clock potential but I enjoy the blower fan style.

I'd want to replace the soft tubing with hard tubing connected to a 360mm and 120mm wc loop that has either 2 neo res/pumps or redundant pumps and 2 helix res's. I'm running a strawpoll with my discord rn for decision on the pump/res combos and only need to decide on which video card to get.

then ABSOLUTELY NO, you can't adapt soft tubing to hardline, there is NO WAY to connect hardline to the block on the hybrid unit.

1 minute ago, Selah said:

That's not the question at all.

so you are just gonna ignore something that will destroy your entire loop because it "wasn't the question"?

22 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

then ABSOLUTELY NO, you can't adapt soft tubing to hardline, there is NO WAY to connect hardline to the block on the hybrid unit.

so you are just gonna ignore something that will destroy your entire loop because it "wasn't the question"?

That's not scientific at all.

And here's some science.

Whenever you mix different types of metals, there will be an ion exchange that could could potentially corrode your waterblocks and even cause the coolant to become electronically charged. When it comes to mixing Copper/Nickel/Bronze, the effect is negligible. The only time this is really important is when you're using Aluminum components. Mixing Copper/Nickel/Bronze with Aluminum is a terrible idea.

The evga hybrid block appears to be sourced by the same units corsair uses... so a copper/nickel hybrid. How's that mixing improper metals?

fyi, i wouldn't be using an adapter to hardtubing. I'd replace tubing entirely. I cannot find any source of a completely deconstructed evga hybrid card so I cannot find out what kind of connectors they use for the pump-tubing.

15 minutes ago, Selah said:

That's not scientific at all.

And here's some science.

Whenever you mix different types of metals, there will be an ion exchange that could could potentially corrode your waterblocks and even cause the coolant to become electronically charged. When it comes to mixing Copper/Nickel/Bronze, the effect is negligible. The only time this is really important is when you're using Aluminum components. Mixing Copper/Nickel/Bronze with Aluminum is a terrible idea.

OK you want SCIENTIFIC, if you MIX the ALUMINUM used in the Hybrid cooler block/pump with the COPPER of a custom loop kit you WILL GET GALVANIC CORROSION, also it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CONNECT HARDLINE to the lines on the HYBRID BLOCK

you could try something like this https://forums.evga.com/980ti-Hybrid-to-custom-loop-m2416827.aspx

but I don't know how much of the shroud will fit if at all.

23 minutes ago, Selah said:

I'd want to replace the soft tubing with hard tubing connected to a 360mm and 120mm wc loop that has either 2 neo res/pumps or redundant pumps and 2 helix res's. I'm running a strawpoll with my discord rn for decision on the pump/res combos and only need to decide on which video card to get

That won't work, the aio coldplates don't use g 1/4" fittings but instead run on built in barbs 

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

OK you want SCIENTIFIC, if you MIX the ALUMINUM used in the Hybrid cooler block/pump with the COPPER of a custom loop kit you WILL GET GALVANIC CORROSION, also it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CONNECT HARDLINE to the lines on the HYBRID BLOCK

Calm down, OP clearly plans on discarding the aluminum 120mm radiator.

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Calm down, OP clearly plans on discarding the aluminum 120mm radiator.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it possible to connect the barbing to an adapter to 1/4th fittings? Would that be possible with custom machining or is that not necessarily feasible in the real world?

edit: I did a google search and could not find info on the built in barbs. Do you have documentation or a photo I could look at.

I GAVE you a solution that was used for a 980ti which gives you the closest thing to what you want.

5 minutes ago, Selah said:

Is it possible to connect the barbing to an adapter to 1/4th fittings? Would that be possible with custom machining or is that not necessarily feasible in the real world?

Its possible, though it would look super jank and likely ruin the look you want.  I recomend a universal waterblock + Evga FE card with a bit of judicious modding.  Replace the vapor chamber with the block, cut out an exit for the tubing or terminal and you have a solid hardline option.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2014/11/18/2014-universal-gpu-block-roundup/12/

I would go with this one, with accompanied heatsinks.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/watercool-heatkiller-gpu-x-core-lt.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=EK+supremacy+vga

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/vga-blocks/universal-vga-waterblocks

members, please use some civility towards others of the community.

and we do not ask others not to post on the forums.. got troubles, use the report function located on the bottom of all comments.

@Daniel644 calm down man, you misunderstood OP and reacted poorly, no need to report when they respond like with like.  Giving an answer while also screeching about something thats a non issue isn't very helpful.

11 minutes ago, Selah said:

edit: I did a google search and could not find info on the built in barbs. Do you have documentation or a photo I could look at.

Not really, though its something I can garuntee with 99.9% certainty.  If you take a look at the tube spacing on any aio its always too close to be anything but built in barbs.

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:

@Daniel644 calm down man, you misunderstood OP and reacted poorly, no need to report when they respond like with like.  Giving an answer while also screeching about something thats a non issue isn't very helpful.

I didn't consider how janky it'd look, though looking back on it now I see how it's possible with further googling but it'd be a trial and a half to make it look right.

Your recommendation sounds the best. Would I encounter any issues you think ensuring wiring is setup properly so the fan still operates as normal when I place the shroud/top back on? I'd be removing the entire Vapor chamber correct? Looking at diagrams of the showcased heatkiller block and the stock FE card I'd be removing most of the internals for the shroud/chamber. Without comparing side by side would it even be worth it to try and route/mill that precisely or just get rid of it entirely?

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

nothing in his original post said anything about hardline tubing, he asked if it was possible to use the pump/block (and with it the rest of the parts of the hybrid cooler that physically mount to the card, so that he could maintain the blower fan shroud because he likes the look) with a custom loop, which as you even explained is not viable.

I even went out of my way to look and find a method he could use to keep the shroud and linked it.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

nothing in his original post said anything about hardline tubing, he asked if it was possible to use the pump/block (and with it the rest of the parts of the hybrid cooler that physically mount to the card, so that he could maintain the blower fan shroud because he likes the look) with a custom loop, which as you even explained is not viable.

I even went out of my way to look and find a method he could use to keep the shroud and linked it.

Tbf you did, first time I read your response I completely missed it.  It was very similar to my own recomendation but was overshadowed by you "yelling" about mixing metals.

5 minutes ago, Selah said:

Your recommendation sounds the best. Would I encounter any issues you think ensuring wiring is setup properly so the fan still operates as normal when I place the shroud/top back on? I'd be removing the entire Vapor chamber correct? Looking at diagrams of the showcased heatkiller block and the stock FE card I'd be removing most of the internals for the shroud/chamber. Without comparing side by side would it even be worth it to try and route/mill that precisely or just get rid of it entirely?

If you go with the heatkiller block you would need to heavily modify evgas thermal baseplate thing

The ek mini version would work with far less modification due to its diminutive size

And no worries on the fan, you could do the whole mod without touching it in all likelyness.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Tbf you did, first time I read your response I completely missed it.  It was very similar to my own recomendation but was overshadowed by you "yelling" about mixing metals.

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Not really, though its something I can garuntee with 99.9% certainty.  If you take a look at the tube spacing on any aio its always too close to be anything but built in barbs.

Thanks for that link. Helped me understand more of what I was trying to conceptualize.

How about getting a poesidon and call it a day. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

How about getting a poesidon and call it a day. 

imho poseidon looks like a kids idea of a computer with fans on a spaceship, so I don't really want it. Oh, and I despise Asus since they have always been faulty ime.

I don't have time to read everything, but I'll say something- even if you like the aesthetics of the EVGA Hybrid, there are no normal parts inside it. And if you decide to add a water block, the beautiful cover is just discarded. Lol. Therefore, you can get EK-MLC components and with some squeezing, keep the looks. But it won't actually be water cooled. If you want backplate design, then you'll have to check a couple of options from various sellers. 

7 hours ago, ReyazJunior said:

I don't have time to read everything, but I'll say something- even if you like the aesthetics of the EVGA Hybrid, there are no normal parts inside it. And if you decide to add a water block, the beautiful cover is just discarded. Lol. Therefore, you can get EK-MLC components and with some squeezing, keep the looks. But it won't actually be water cooled. If you want backplate design, then you'll have to check a couple of options from various sellers. 

You probably should have read everything. If you did you'd know I like the shroud and don't care about The backplates aesthetics. Damascus showcased and discussed a very reasonable way to keep my Fan and shroud while watercooling the core and vrm.

Do you understand that adding a watercooled block if only to the core (which all suggested viable solutions include the core and vrm) makes the card watercooled even if there is a fan? Because water will be used to cooldown the temperatures....

On 1/1/2018 at 12:57 AM, Damascus said:

If you go with the heatkiller block you would need to heavily modify evgas thermal baseplate thing

The ek mini version would work with far less modification due to its diminutive size

And no worries on the fan, you could do the whole mod without touching it in all likelyness.

I think i'm set on the heatkiller since tests show it performs best and I'd still be able to cool more than just the core. Thanks for all of the assistance Damascus, you've been a real help. The build will be logged in 1-2 months (depending on when my desk is finished), I'll be sure to give you a shoutout then.