Corsair K70 LED problem still exists? Calling all K70 owners

lufihengr

I have got mine for like 9 months and my first LED started failing after 2 months and the count started to rise exponentially as time went on. At the moment the count is 27 failed LEDs, tough i might have gotten one of the earlier ones.

Corsair k70 mx reds, silver with blue LEDs.

I am not going to buy another corsair keyboard again, even if they do better quality control now: I am not going to spend anthoer 130€ or even more on the RBG ones on a company that releases/released half baked products like this.

I've had my K70 for about a month now, no issues so far. I use the lowest brightness and full lighting mostly. 

I have mine for 6 months now. Still nothing unusual that's happening. Hopefully nothing bad happens.

Still nice to look at and performs really well.

K70 MX Brown switch

EDIT: My LED has just started to fail. My number "6" key just died and expecting to see more. I'll be waiting for the RGB keyboards now before RMA-ing in hopes to get the new RGB keyboards rather than the old faulty ones.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

• 2 weeks later...

K70 blue MX switches. 13 dead blue LEDs after 6 months.

Love the action of the blue MX switches, mechanics and general build quality of the K70.. but why have Corsair used such poor LEDs?

I got my K70 from Scan in the UK. They no longer sell K70 with blue LEDs....

Like rohver.. lowest lighting, all LEDs on most of the time.

I've had mine for about a month with no issues, I have the black one with red switches / red LEDS. Only issue I had was the scroll lock flashing and windows lock stopped working. I managed to fix this with a firmware update.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the Brown-switch/Blue-LED K70 since January '14, and just recently have one dead key (Q) and two dimming (F3 & A). I use the lowest brightness, all keys on most of the time. Occasionally I just have a few selected on for gaming, but not often. I love this keyboard thus far, so I'm probably going to RMA if more keys start to die out. 

Linus said the LED's go out due to ESD problems because of the way they're typicall mounted on the PCB. The RGB keyboards will have the LED's in the switch themselves which will virtually eliminate the ESD issue. Being that Corsair knows the ESD issue is something that is still ongoing I wonder if there's a way to minimize it in the K70 Vengences.

after 8 months, I count a total of 11 dead LEDs. I'm just waiting for the RGB keys so when I RMA the board, I'll sell it then buy the new RGB ones

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200

Linus said the LED's go out due to ESD problems because of the way they're typicall mounted on the PCB. The RGB keyboards will have the LED's in the switch themselves which will virtually eliminate the ESD issue. Being that Corsair knows the ESD issue is something that is still ongoing I wonder if there's a way to minimize it in the K70 Vengences.

Was just about to mention this. I am hoping this will not happen with the RGBs 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Was just about to mention this. I am hoping this will not happen with the RGBs 

In Linus' preview video he says the leds will not be mounted to the pcb but inside the switch. This is incorrect, the leds are soldered to the pcb first and then the switch is soldered to the pcb second sandwitching the led between the pcb and the switch. (the led is also much smaller, a smd-led)

So the led isn't exposed like the old K70, hopefully that makes the difference.

• 1 month later...

I've got the K70 brown with blue LED and have had it for about 6 months. Just today two LEDs have stopped working and some seem dimmer than the rest.

As a follow up 7 LEDs died and I sent it back last week and got credited back the purchase.

i5 3570K @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 670, 16GB 1600 Ram, 128 GB Vertex 4, 480GB M500, 2TB RAID 0, 2 x 24" Monitors

As a follow up 7 LEDs died and I sent it back last week and got credited back the purchase.

Are you going to go for the RGB?

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

It was only the first few production runs that had the bulk of the dead LED problems. My K59, although LED modded, works great with no dead LED's

It was only the first few production runs that had the bulk of the dead LED problems. My K59, although LED modded, works great with no dead LED's

That's weird. I ordered mine a month before they stopped production and I still have 20+ dead LEDs and counting :(

Are you going to go for the RGB?

I would but only if it came with brown switches.

i5 3570K @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 670, 16GB 1600 Ram, 128 GB Vertex 4, 480GB M500, 2TB RAID 0, 2 x 24" Monitors

4 months and 0 problems and get rubber rings they are must need especialy of cherry mx red and cost almost nothing comparing to kayboard:D

I've had the Corsair K70 (Black w/ Red Switches) for almost a year now, not a single flaw nor LED failure. I think it was only a certain batch that Corsair sorted out.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What about the k95 black version? the problem still exists?

Intel i5 4440 @ 3.10Hz • GA-Z97X-SLI • GTX 970 G1 • x2 Hyper X 8GB 1866MHz • SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB • NZXT S340 Elite • Thermaltake 750W smart series • Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) • Logitech G502 | Razer deathadder 2013 (Died in battle) • Sennheiser HD58X • Audio-technica ATH-M50X • Hyper X Cloud 2 • Samsung 24'' CFG70 Curved Gaming Monitor •

The problem even exist with the k70 black version with red leds, just in the blue leds version.

Intel i5 4440 @ 3.10Hz • GA-Z97X-SLI • GTX 970 G1 • x2 Hyper X 8GB 1866MHz • SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB • NZXT S340 Elite • Thermaltake 750W smart series • Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) • Logitech G502 | Razer deathadder 2013 (Died in battle) • Sennheiser HD58X • Audio-technica ATH-M50X • Hyper X Cloud 2 • Samsung 24'' CFG70 Curved Gaming Monitor •

Yes i just got a dead TAB Led

What's your k70 color?

What's your k70 color?

I had a blue led's with brown switches. Did an RMA so now I got blue switches with red led's. 

Oh man I just bought the last one from my local BestBuy, k70 cherrymx red, black with red leds. I am now afraid of the led thing, I thought this was an isolated problem with the blue led models. Should I return it then?

• 1 month later...