whitetea

Help Please! Fan Controller and AIO

Posted · Original PosterOP

In my pc build I am planning, I have recently found that my motherboard does not have enough fans for my case. I will also have an AIO 240 front mounted water cooler. So my question is does anyone know of a fan controller that will control not only my case fans, but also my AIO front fans and hopefully automatically change speeds depending on cpu temps and gpu temps. I have heard of the NZXT Grid + and Corsair Link but I’m not sure which one is right or if there are others to consider. Thanks for the help!

6 minutes ago, whitetea said:

In my pc build I am planning, I have recently found that my motherboard does not have enough fans for my case. I will also have an AIO 240 front mounted water cooler. So my question is does anyone know of a fan controller that will control not only my case fans, but also my AIO front fans and hopefully automatically change speeds depending on cpu temps and gpu temps. I have heard of the NZXT Grid + and Corsair Link but I’m not sure which one is right or if there are others to consider. Thanks for the help!

What is your mobo?

3 minutes ago, Docretier said:

What is your mobo?

Not 100 % sure yet on the choice but I’m in between the Asus 7270-E Strix Board, or the Asus Maximus Code motherboard.

Just now, whitetea said:

Not 100 % sure yet on the choice but I’m in between the Asus 7270-E Strix Board, or the Asus Maximus Code motherboard.

I think the Strix has enough, but the prices have been going up recently

21 minutes ago, whitetea said:

In my pc build I am planning, I have recently found that my motherboard does not have enough fans for my case.

Your MB does not have fans, usually.

It has fan headers.xD

You know each fan header can power 2 fans?

i7-6700k

Asetek 550LC  120mm AIO

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Corsair LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, PNY CS2211 960GB, 850 EVO 500GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 4TB

MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 4GB Armor 2X

Antec HCG M 750W

Creative Labs Z to Home Theater

Antec HCG M 750W

NZXT S340 (Black/White)

BENQ GW2765HT. Samsung S22B420BW

--------------------------------------------

i3-6100

CRYORIG - C7 

ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming

Corsair LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

DREVO X1 PRO 128GB SSD, Barracuda 1TB, PNY - CS1211 240GB

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB

Antec HCG 620W

Thermaltake P3 White

LG - 27MP37HQ-B 27.0", LG L1952TX-SF

--------------------------------------------

G4560

MasterAir G100M RGB

Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI 

ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400

Intel - 600p Series 256GB, WD Blue 1TB

Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD, Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2

EVGA 750 BQ 

Corsair - Air 540

13 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Your MB does not have fans, usually.

It has fan headers.xD

You know each fan header can power 2 fans?

Sorry I though headers was given, and no I didn’t, do I need a splitter

4 minutes ago, whitetea said:

I though headers was given, and no I didn’t, do I need a splitter

Each header can handle up to 1A of current. That doesn't always equal 2 fans. Check the fan spec and aim for .8A total draw at 100% fan speed per header, to be safe.

If you have that many fans, I'd go with a fan controller. I use the Link in 2 computers and it's finicky to configure and has it's fair share of bugs, but it does work per your requirements.

An exernally powered PWM fan splitter would be your best bet if you don't want the headache of a fan controller. You connect it to any fan header on your motherboard and that PWM signal will control all of the fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IF6R4C8

2 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

Each header can handle up to 1A of current. That doesn't always equal 2 fans. Check the fan spec and aim for .8A total draw at 100% fan speed per header, to be safe.

If you have that many fans, I'd go with a fan controller. I use the Link in 2 computers and it's finicky to configure and has it's fair share of bugs, but it does work per your requirements.

An exernally powered PWM fan splitter would be your best bet if you don't want the headache of a fan controller. You connect it to any fan header on your motherboard and that PWM signal will control all of the fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IF6R4C8

The link sounds like a good idea. Do you have a link for the specific one you have? 

Just now, whitetea said:

Thanks so much for the help!!!

You're welcome.

I also drive around 10 LED strips, which was a huge selling point for me at the time.

Be warned of the following:

The Commander Mini does not come with LED strips.

The LED on the Mini will blink yellow and green when communicating over it's USB header connector.

It only comes with 3 4-pin fan extensions even though it can drive 6 fans.

It uses a SATA power connector

The software is buggy so if you're using this with LEDS and you set a fan profile of quiet/performance your fans will flash at you on a cycle. I've mentioned this years ago on their forums and there is no resolution.

Just now, Tiberiusisgame said:

You're welcome.

I also drive around 10 LED strips, which was a huge selling point for me at the time.

Be warned of the following:

The Commander Mini does not come with LED strips.

The LED on the Mini will blink yellow and green when communicating over it's USB header connector.

It only comes with 3 4-pin fan extensions even though it can drive 6 fans.

It uses a SATA power connector

The software is buggy so if you're using this with LEDS and you set a fan profile of quiet/performance your fans will flash at you on a cycle. I've mentioned this years ago on their forums and there is no resolution.

I don’t plan on using led initially but maybe 

After a few months idk

The bottom right of the case is where I have the Commander Mini. I had to order additional fan extensions so they matched. I also connected it to the Corsair PSU iLink and my Corsair H80i CLC... and I just realized how much Corsair gear I use...

11 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

The bottom right of the case is where I have the Commander Mini. I had to order additional fan extensions so they matched. I also connected it to the Corsair PSU iLink and my Corsair H80i CLC... and I just realized how much Corsair gear I use...

That looks really sick! I can see the Commander and it looks worth it definitely. I’m gonna add it to my list rn.

PWM Fan splitter: https://www.amazon.com/Evercool-EC-DF001-Braided-Splitter-Multiple/dp/B009D3KQ54

I use two of these in my large Tower 900 build and they work amazingly well with fan control via bios (using the cpu temp).

Desktop: MSI Z370M Gaming Pro | 8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengence 3000 | 1080 Ti | 2x 960 Pro 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Acer Predator X34 | 2x Dell U2415

Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 | i7-7820hq | 16GB | P3000 | 1080P | 1TB 600P | 500GB 850 EVO

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9343 | i5-5200u | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 4k Touchsceen

Laptop: HP Elitebook Folio G1 | M7-6Y75 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 600p 512GB SSD | FHD Touchsceen

Server(ESXi): Supermicro | 2x E5-2640v2 | 128GB DDR3 ECC 

Server(ESXi): Tyan | 2x E5-2640v2 | 128GB DDR3 ECC 

Nas: QNAP TVS-EC880 | E3-1246v3 | 16GB | 8x 3TB RAID6 | 2x 128GB SSD (system)

Nas: QNAP TS-EC1679U-RP | E3-1225v2 | 32GB | 8x 2TB 850 Pro RAID6 | 4x 60GB SSD RAID6 (system)

Nas: QNAP TS-451+ | J1900 | 8GB | 4x 4TB RAID6 (offsite backup)