Lower FPS than expected

lior1111
Go to solution Solved by CrippledROBOT,
Just now, lior1111 said:

hehe yeah i was just worried that something is wrong with some of my other parts except the cpu.. im gonna give all my previous parts to my older brother as he likes games but only got a shitty laptop for school , i think he will be happy with an r9 390 and an i7 4790 :) 

If I didn't have a PC, I sure would be! 

If you're not overclocking and just want a quick fix, the i7 7700 will serve you well. You can (and I personally would because I love to overclock) go with an i7 7700k system, but this will require a high end cooler, Z-class motherboard, etc. If you don't want to bother with overclocking, I think you're on the right track friend :)

Just now, lior1111 said:

well i dont REALLY wanna deal with overclocking anyway tbh... so theres no reason for me to go K cpus

yes there is, for example a 7700k even if you don't overclock it has a 4.5ghz single core boost.

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

That's a great deal! If you have the money for the DDR4 (which you WILL need), then that's the best route. Sell off your old parts on Craigslist or whatever online service that you use! :)

hehe yeah i was just worried that something is wrong with some of my other parts except the cpu.. im gonna give all my previous parts to my older brother as he likes games but only got a shitty laptop for school , i think he will be happy with an r9 390 and an i7 4790 :) 

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

yes there is, for example a 7700k even if you don't overclock it has a 4.5ghz single core boost.

maybe in the future dude.. if the upgrade from 4790 to 7700 wont help my frames , so will 7700 to 7700k i would assume...

Just now, lior1111 said:

If you're not overclocking and just want a quick fix, the i7 7700 will serve you well. You can (and I personally would because I love to overclock) go with an i7 7700k system, but this will require a high end cooler, Z-class motherboard, etc. If you don't want to bother with overclocking, I think you're on the right track friend :)

Just now, lior1111 said:

maybe in the future dude.. if the upgrade from 4790 to 7700 wont help my frames , so will 7700 to 7700k i would assume...

the 7700 will get you closer to 200. if you want 250 you will need a 7700k or better.

ill come back and contact you when i get into overclocking ;) thank you so much

Just now, lior1111 said:

It'll help for sure, but if you're REALLY going to overclock the i7 7700k, you need a good cooler. Kaby Lake gets very warm and will need a decent cooler (unless delidding). If you go i7 7700k for the overclocking, expect an additional 70-120 bucks for a decent cooler (on top of overpriced RAM). 

It'll help for sure, but if you're REALLY going to overclock the i7 7700k, you need a good cooler. Kaby Lake gets very warm and will need a decent cooler (unless delidding). If you go i7 7700k for the overclocking, expect an additional 70-120 bucks for a decent cooler (on top of overpriced RAM). 

yeah the RAM prices are really BS right now.. feels like it goes up hand in hand with the freaking bitcoin -_-.. ive never felt like overclocking could help me , but when it comes from you guys i might actually consider it. ill see if i can get an 7700k , my friend actually begged me to take a 7700k for same price but i told him im not interested in overclocking xD 

Just now, lior1111 said:

yeah the RAM prices are really BS right now.. feels like it goes up hand in hand with the freaking bitcoin -_-.. ive never felt like overclocking could help me , but when it comes from you guys i might actually consider it. ill see if i can get an 7700k , my friend actually begged me to take a 7700k for same price but i told him im not interested in overclocking xD 

Get the fucking 7700k even if you don't overclock now, just take it. 

Just now, TrigrH said:

Get the fucking 7700k even if you don't overclock now, just take it. 

haha alright dude , ill see what i can do about it .. thanks for the help! i didnt know overclocking can help that much

4 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

Oh overclocking can make a world of difference in many titles (and applications)! I can't give you exact percentages off of the top of my head, but in some use cases, you can expect up to like 30% performance bumps. It's wild! Though in more GPU oriented tasks and games, you can expect much less (unless you overclock the GPU of course!)

THOUGH, you need a strong cooler to reach those performance gains. 

Just now, lior1111 said:

haha alright dude , ill see what i can do about it .. thanks for the help! i didnt know overclocking can help that much

Normally at 60 fps it doesn't matter a lot, but every frame your graphics card puts out has to be processed by the CPU, as the frame rate goes up, the stress on the CPU is greater, thats why you need high clock speed i7s to get the higher frame rates.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Normally at 60 fps it doesn't matter a lot, but every frame your graphics card puts out has to be processed by the CPU, as the frame rate goes up, the stress on the CPU is greater, thats why you need high clock speed i7s to get the higher frame rates.

Exactly. Hence why many people will overclock their CPUs to help alleviate their CPU "bottlenecking" their GPUs. In this scenario, the GPU effectively "waits" for the CPU to pump out data. When you overclock the system, it reduces this delay (the CPU is running data more quickly and feeding it to the GPU more quickly), allowing your GPU to rise to its normal speed

2 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Exactly. Hence why many people will overclock their CPUs to help alleviate their CPU "bottlenecking" their GPUs. In this scenario, the GPU effectively "waits" for the CPU to pump out data in a CPU bottleneck. When you overclock the system, it reduces this delay, allowing your GPU to rise to its normal speed

Oh godamn, and I've always told my non technologic friends how slim the over clock gains are xD.. My bad world! Ill see what i can do about getting a 7700k, thanks a bunch you two! 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=119&sort=price&m=7,8,18,27

Pick something with a few phases on it like the: ASRock Z270 Extreme4 for example.

Ignore anything with a low phase count. And I recommend getting something with an intel NIC.

9 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I second this! Good call @TrigrH

Okay, ill be getting the 7700k, any recommendations on cooling? I have never overclocked and.. Now i might when I get it hehe

12 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I second this! Good call @TrigrH

will 8700 (not k) would be a better option than 7700k?

9 hours ago, lior1111 said:

Okay, ill be getting the 7700k, any recommendations on cooling? I have never overclocked and.. Now i might when I get it hehe

6 hours ago, lior1111 said:

will 8700 (not k) would be a better option than 7700k?

The i7 8700k will smoke the i7 7700k. HOWEVER, they are in limited supply in most places. It'll also require a 300 series motherboard. However, the 8700 is pretty good and in some cases may be better than the i7 7700k and may be worse. It all depends on the games (this is assuming that you overclocked the i7 7700k very high so the clock per core is significantly higher than the 8700 (and that STILL may not be enough in some circumstances). 

I'd pop for the i7 7700k and get an H100i V2. Solid cooler!

On 11.12.2017 at 10:19 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

The i7 8700k will smoke the i7 7700k. HOWEVER, they are in limited supply in most places. It'll also require a 300 series motherboard. However, the 8700 is pretty good and in some cases may be better than the i7 7700k and may be worse. It all depends on the games (this is assuming that you overclocked the i7 7700k very high so the clock per core is significantly higher than the 8700 (and that STILL may not be enough in some circumstances). 

I'd pop for the i7 7700k and get an H100i V2. Solid cooler!

Alright well, i ordered the 8700, its not because im afraid of overclocking but its more like i would rather not to if i could, plus i think the 8700 would be better for me anyway, and also buying a super expensive cooler is not an option for me right now.. Thank you for the help! 

8 hours ago, lior1111 said:

Alright well, i ordered the 8700, its not because im afraid of overclocking but its more like i would rather not to if i could, plus i think the 8700 would be better for me anyway, and also buying a super expensive cooler is not an option for me right now.. Thank you for the help! 

You bet! Thanks for the follow-up! Glad I could help. That's a killer CPU. I am sure you'll notice some serious performance improvements!