Can Pull fans restrict airflow?

Khory

Is there any situation where push/pull would result in less airflow on the other side of a radiator? My situation is a front mounted radiator set up as intake. Temps are decent but I'm looking into  getting better fans to get a little more flow into the case and maybe a little less noise. I know that pull fans aid in pulling air across the radiator, but do they affect the volume of air that comes out the other side? I imagine they'd help but I'd like to be sure.

Adding the same fans in pull will only raise static pressure and not airflow. Adding fans in pull can lower airflow if they're spinning slower than the fans in push.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Adding the same fans in pull will only raise static pressure and not airflow. Adding fans in pull can lower airflow if they're spinning slower than the fans in push.

I'd use matching fans at the same speed. Wouldn't the increase in static pressure allow more of the rated airflow to come through the radiator?

If you replace the fans just use identical high static pressure optimized fans and you can't go wrong.

Adding a pull fan should help in almost all instances, except if you use a seriously slower one than the pushing fan. The thicker the rad, the higher the benefit from push pull will be.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

On 12/8/2017 at 1:52 PM, Khory said:

I'd use matching fans at the same speed. Wouldn't the increase in static pressure allow more of the rated airflow to come through the radiator?

Yes, that's what static pressure is for.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.