Is buying gaming laptop a good idea?

Hello.

Just a simple question.

Since i might travel a lot in the future and i want to be able to play my games anywhere.

I know that gaming laptop is more expensive than a pc but i understand.

So what are the pros and cons of getting a gaming laptop?

And what should i avoid or is there something that i should be aware of?

Thank you

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Weight, battery life, and price are the biggest cons of a gaming laptop IMO. Others may disagree. For lighter games, I'd suggest an XPS 13. I believe it's the newest ones that have an MX150 GPU in them, which is comparable to a GT 1030, and therefore can handle light games with ease.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Weight, battery life, and price are the biggest cons of a gaming laptop IMO. Others may disagree. For lighter games, I'd suggest an XPS 13. I believe it's the newest ones that have an MX150 GPU in them, which is comparable to a GT 1030, and therefore can handle light games with ease.

I am not planning to get it now.

But if i want to get one for now it should be at least with the power of 1080 or ti and adaptive sync ips 144hz 1080p/2k monitor.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I am not planning to get it now.

But if i want to get one for now it should be at least with the power of 1080 or ti and adaptive sync ips 144hz 1080p/2k monitor.

That's going to easily set you back $2000+ USD and it may either be the size of a boat anchor or be thin and have okay to crappy thermals and terrible battery life.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's going to easily set you back $2000+ USD and it may either be the size of a boat anchor or be thin and have okay to crappy thermals and terrible battery life.

Well i mean its obvious hehe but its okay since i never put a laptop in my lap anyway especially a gaming laptop.

As long it has a good battery life and power hardware i dont mind the bulkiness

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Well i mean its obvious hehe but its okay since i never put a laptop in my lap anyway especially a gaming laptop.

As long it has a good battery life and power hardware i dont mind the bulkiness

Also just so I'm not trying to bring up a hope spot, gaming laptops will degrade significantly in performance if they run on a battery.

So when I say terrible battery life on those thin high performance laptops, I mean they can't last 2 hours browsing the internet.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Also just so I'm not trying to bring up a hope spot, gaming laptops will degrade significantly in performance if they run on a battery.

So when I say terrible battery life on those thin high performance laptops, I mean they can't last 2 hours browsing the internet.

Oh yes i also knew that.

With such a hardware its no surprised that it wont last long.

So what is it again?

Watchout for battery life,More expensive,Bulky = better temperature,thats it?

What about the longevity? will it last long as a gaming desktop?

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

You'd want to stay plugged in because battery life and storage which can be added later, also It can get hella hot and your gonna want a mouse,

but pro

You can game pretty much anywhere, You can use it to hook up to tv so if you want Netflix, crunchy roll, YouTube etc on tv, if your pc ever is not working you aren't stuck without a gaming capable laptop, and portability.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Hiya! said:

What about the longevity? will it last long as a gaming desktop?

I know Some laptops are pretty good I keep my old laptop alive for like 5 years before it died 

this video I think made some good point in general.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I know Some laptops are pretty good I keep my old laptop alive for like 5 years before it died 

this video I think made some good point in general.

Usually when someone suggested me or other people to get alienware it always got me triggered

But i'll buffer it later cause i am on data right now heheh

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Usually when someone suggested me or other people to get alienware it always got me triggered

But i'll buffer it later cause i am on data right now heheh

I not recoomending an Alien ware just the video made good points about older laptops in general :D

With the series of GTX 10 Pascal GPUs on laptops, they're now at least head-to-head in terms of graphical performance (only about 5-10% performance difference between notebook version and desktop version) so I believe performance shouldn't be that much of an issue if you travel a lot and need a somewhat powerful machine. However, battery life takes a hit powering those components, especially if they don't come with switchable graphics capability (the ones with G-Sync capabilities mainly) to switch between iGPU and dGPU. Only a few number of gaming laptops have quite a long battery life such as Gigabyte Aero 14 (has GTX 1060 and a whopping 94Wh battery) and Dell Inspiron 7567 (up to GTX 1050 Ti with 74Wh battery).

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

54 minutes ago, ErrystioT said:

Only a few number of gaming laptops have quite a long battery life such as Gigabyte Aero 14 (has GTX 1060 and a whopping 94Wh battery) and Dell Inspiron 7567 (up to GTX 1050 Ti with 74Wh battery).

And Alienware 13/15/17 without sync, Gigabyte Aero 15/15X

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I not recoomending an Alien ware just the video made good points about older laptops in general :D

Your Avatar is soo creepy just sayin.

It got me cringe dude wth linus?

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

3 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Your Avatar is soo creepy just sayin.

It got me cringe dude wth linus?

yeas.