Jump to content
Hiya!

Is buying gaming laptop a good idea?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello.

Just a simple question.

Since i might travel a lot in the future and i want to be able to play my games anywhere.

I know that gaming laptop is more expensive than a pc but i understand.

So what are the pros and cons of getting a gaming laptop?

And what should i avoid or is there something that i should be aware of?

 

Thank you

 


Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love dark souls lore and Mice ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weight, battery life, and price are the biggest cons of a gaming laptop IMO. Others may disagree. For lighter games, I'd suggest an XPS 13. I believe it's the newest ones that have an MX150 GPU in them, which is comparable to a GT 1030, and therefore can handle light games with ease.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: i5-750 Motherboard: Dell G3HR7 RAM: 2x4gb DDR3 1333MHz Corsair XMS3 GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB Storage: WD Blue 1tb PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Dell Studio XPS 8100 Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

 

IMPORTANT CAT GIFS

https://www.mediafire.com/#m2qjl98zn2i38

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Weight, battery life, and price are the biggest cons of a gaming laptop IMO. Others may disagree. For lighter games, I'd suggest an XPS 13. I believe it's the newest ones that have an MX150 GPU in them, which is comparable to a GT 1030, and therefore can handle light games with ease.

I am not planning to get it now.

But if i want to get one for now it should be at least with the power of 1080 or ti and adaptive sync ips 144hz 1080p/2k monitor.

 

 


Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love dark souls lore and Mice ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I am not planning to get it now.

But if i want to get one for now it should be at least with the power of 1080 or ti and adaptive sync ips 144hz 1080p/2k monitor.

That's going to easily set you back $2000+ USD and it may either be the size of a boat anchor or be thin and have okay to crappy thermals and terrible battery life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's going to easily set you back $2000+ USD and it may either be the size of a boat anchor or be thin and have okay to crappy thermals and terrible battery life.

Well i mean its obvious hehe but its okay since i never put a laptop in my lap anyway especially a gaming laptop.

As long it has a good battery life and power hardware i dont mind the bulkiness


Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love dark souls lore and Mice ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hiya! said:

Well i mean its obvious hehe but its okay since i never put a laptop in my lap anyway especially a gaming laptop.

As long it has a good battery life and power hardware i dont mind the bulkiness

Also just so I'm not trying to bring up a hope spot, gaming laptops will degrade significantly in performance if they run on a battery.

 

So when I say terrible battery life on those thin high performance laptops, I mean they can't last 2 hours browsing the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Also just so I'm not trying to bring up a hope spot, gaming laptops will degrade significantly in performance if they run on a battery.

 

So when I say terrible battery life on those thin high performance laptops, I mean they can't last 2 hours browsing the internet.

Oh yes i also knew that.

With such a hardware its no surprised that it wont last long.

 

So what is it again?

Watchout for battery life,More expensive,Bulky = better temperature,thats it?

 

What about the longevity? will it last long as a gaming desktop?


Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love dark souls lore and Mice ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd want to stay plugged in because battery life and storage which can be added later, also It can get hella hot and your gonna want a mouse,

 

but pro

 

You can game pretty much anywhere, You can use it to hook up to tv so if you want Netflix, crunchy roll, YouTube etc on tv, if your pc ever is not working you aren't stuck without a gaming capable laptop, and portability.


Jake paul said dab on the haters but Ajit Pai won't stop, I need halp. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hiya! said:

 

What about the longevity? will it last long as a gaming desktop?

I know Some laptops are pretty good I keep my old laptop alive for like 5 years before it died 

 

 

this video I think made some good point in general.

 


Jake paul said dab on the haters but Ajit Pai won't stop, I need halp. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I know Some laptops are pretty good I keep my old laptop alive for like 5 years before it died 

 

 

this video I think made some good point in general.

 

Usually when someone suggested me or other people to get alienware it always got me triggered

But i'll buffer it later cause i am on data right now heheh


Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love dark souls lore and Mice ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hiya! said:

Usually when someone suggested me or other people to get alienware it always got me triggered

But i'll buffer it later cause i am on data right now heheh

I not recoomending an Alien ware just the video made good points about older laptops in general :D


Jake paul said dab on the haters but Ajit Pai won't stop, I need halp. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the series of GTX 10 Pascal GPUs on laptops, they're now at least head-to-head in terms of graphical performance (only about 5-10% performance difference between notebook version and desktop version) so I believe performance shouldn't be that much of an issue if you travel a lot and need a somewhat powerful machine. However, battery life takes a hit powering those components, especially if they don't come with switchable graphics capability (the ones with G-Sync capabilities mainly) to switch between iGPU and dGPU. Only a few number of gaming laptops have quite a long battery life such as Gigabyte Aero 14 (has GTX 1060 and a whopping 94Wh battery) and Dell Inspiron 7567 (up to GTX 1050 Ti with 74Wh battery).


Daily drivers:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit

 

Other devices:

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- OG Nintendo 2DS

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ErrystioT said:

Only a few number of gaming laptops have quite a long battery life such as Gigabyte Aero 14 (has GTX 1060 and a whopping 94Wh battery) and Dell Inspiron 7567 (up to GTX 1050 Ti with 74Wh battery).

And Alienware 13/15/17 without sync, Gigabyte Aero 15/15X


The guy who wants a gaming rig but ends up with nothing a gaming laptop

My PC: Lenovo Legion Y520 (My Review)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 7300HQ 2.5GHZ Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133MHZ RAM Seagate 1TB 5400RPM HDD Nvidia GTX 1050 2GB
(FAREWELL) 4GB DDR4 2400MHZ Samsung RAM

My Ultra Budget Peripherals: (About 68 USD)

Mouse - Logitech G102 Prodigy (Mercury sensor), MYR 70 (17 USD)

Keyboard - Tecware Phantom TKL (white backlit, mechanical brown switch), MYR 139 (33 USD)

Headphones - SonicGear Vibra 5 (no mic), MYR 50 (12 USD)

Speakers - SonicGear Quadro 2 mini speakers, MYR 26 (6 USD)

Mostly active in 'Laptops and Pre-built Systems' subforum
Gaming Laptop Buying Guide For Malaysians (best price for the specs)

Spoiler

In case you're wondering my in game settings:

CSGO
bots setting: 128 tick, 130 FPS cap
1280X960 (4:3) stretched, brightness 1.6, fullscreen, multicore enabled, X4 MSAA, x16 anisotropic filtering
low shadow, texture, effect, shader
FXAA, VSync, motion blur disabled

Dota 2
70 FPS cap (due to shutter when in high FPS, thanks Valve for making this game broken)
1920X1080, exclusive fullscreen, 150% brightness, fastest preset EXCEPT animate portrait on, render quality 100%

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I not recoomending an Alien ware just the video made good points about older laptops in general :D

Your Avatar is soo creepy just sayin.

It got me cringe dude wth linus?


Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love dark souls lore and Mice ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×