swapping Xbox One X HDD for SSD

I am looking to replace the internal hard drive in my Xbox one x with a smaller SSD for faster boot times and a few most used games. then i will have a RAID 0 hard drive array for mass storage through USB 3.0. I am having a problem cloning the operating system to a smaller SSD, I don't want to buy a 1TB SSD I would like to use my 256GB 850 EVO. does anyone have any advice for this? I feel that this would help many people who want faster storage. I have no worries about the warranty. it looks as though i am unable to clone without doing a forensic clone in the research i have done wich i cant do with a smaller storage drive. there is a lot of empty space though and I am sure it can be done.

Just now, andrewwadeofcanada said:

I am looking to replace the internal hard drive in my Xbox one x with a smaller SSD for faster boot times and a few most used games. then i will have a RAID 0 hard drive array for mass storage through USB 3.0. I am having a problem cloning the operating system to a smaller SSD, I don't want to buy a 1TB SSD I would like to use my 256GB 850 EVO. does anyone have any advice for this? I feel that this would help many people who want faster storage.

well, you'd definitely void the warrantee  

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

What trouble exactly are you having? What tool are you using to clone the OS?

@michelin_boi=much moto, very wow
need best cpu cooling? add 2 stroke oil (but no, really don't)
5 things newegg doesn't want you to know:

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

32 minutes ago, andrewwadeofcanada said:

I am looking to replace the internal hard drive in my Xbox one x with a smaller SSD for faster boot times and a few most used games. then i will have a RAID 0 hard drive array for mass storage through USB 3.0. I am having a problem cloning the operating system to a smaller SSD, I don't want to buy a 1TB SSD I would like to use my 256GB 850 EVO. does anyone have any advice for this? I feel that this would help many people who want faster storage. I have no worries about the warranty. it looks as though i am unable to clone without doing a forensic clone in the research i have done wich i cant do with a smaller storage drive. there is a lot of empty space though and I am sure it can be done.

If it is like the original xbox the serial number is stored in the bios of the system and wont work with another internal device.

You won't get noticeable improvements. I've seen a few people saying that its equal or even worse, the Xbox seems heavily optimized around the existing storage setup (1TB HDD + 4GB cache).

If you want best load times, get an external SSD. The speed of USB 3.0 and SATA 3 are almost the same (5Gb/s vs 6Gb/s). There is no advantage (aside from not having an external box) to putting an SSD inside. 

OS is already as fast as it can be. Mine already boots up way faster than my TV can turn on. 

i have also seen the reports of slower performance, this is I believe due to the cloning of an HDD to an SSD without trim or optimization for SSD's. as for not needing to put an SSD in a console, i am looking for a boot drive, I have a RAID 0 array for externals.

I know you can with SSD's that are the same size or larger with forensic cloning of the drives, but I know that there are some empty sectors and I was hoping to take advantage of the fact that the Xbox system only takes about 40GB. also, i would like to get an image file of the hard drive without opening mine, as this does void the warranty, and i would not want to unless there are good odds of this mod working.

20 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

You won't get noticeable improvements. I've seen a few people saying that its equal or even worse, the Xbox seems heavily optimized around the existing storage setup (1TB HDD + 4GB cache).

If you want best load times, get an external SSD. The speed of USB 3.0 and SATA 3 are almost the same (5Gb/s vs 6Gb/s). There is no advantage (aside from not having an external box) to putting an SSD inside. 

OS is already as fast as it can be. Mine already boots up way faster than my TV can turn on. 

@andrewwadeofcanada ... There's a 2015 article over at HowToGeek that comments on replacing XB1 drives with SSD....

https://www.howtogeek.com/236371/how-to-make-your-playstation-4-or-xbox-one-faster-by-adding-an-ssd/

I'm not going to chide you about voiding your warranty. Hell, I'd probably do the same. I had an obnoxious 3TB Buffalo external drive that I plugged into the USB ver. xyz at the back of the console... and then moved as many of my unused games over to it. It made boot times peppier (in my case).

I like @DOGC_Kyle 's idea of getting an external SSD & plugging it in. It makes sense.  If/when my Buffalo goes tit's up, I'll grab one from my local CC.

Just my 2 cents worth...  Happy tinkering, eh.

On 2.12.2017 at 11:09 PM, Himommies said:

I would not recommend 256 gb on a console

I won't

Thats around 3 Games or so...

500GB should be the bare minimum!

1TB preffered, if possible.

Either way:
How do you install the OS on the XBox one HDD?

I've seen HDD swapped, yes. But they never showed how to do it on the software side.

It has to be done somehow....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

34 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Either way:
How do you install the OS on the XBox one HDD?

I've seen HDD swapped, yes. But they never showed how to do it on the software side.

It has to be done somehow....

If you cant do a direct system swap through file transfer / software (I know you cant), then it cant be done. The Xbox One is designed for external drive use not modifying the internal drives. Unless things have changed, the SN of the drive is hard encoded into the BIOS so it will only boot with a specific drive.

Just now, lieder1987 said:

Unless things have changed, the SN of the drive is hard encoded into the BIOS so it will only boot with a specific drive.

Oh dear.

What do you do when you don't have no warranty and the original drive dies?!

And the drive is very likely the first thing to go...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh dear.

What do you do when you don't have no warranty and the original drive dies?!

And the drive is very likely the first thing to go...

You do what all big companies want you to do when you still want something and its old. You buy it again.

• 11 months later...

So much wrong information, a few guys clone their drive (which you should not do) to an SSD and it was either slower or no different because it was done completely wrong. Word spreads by people that have never even attempted this.

Let's clear this up shall we.

I use powershell and a script to partition the drive and put the update system on a flash drive, I'm not going into the whole process.

Anyone saying that the HDD in the Xbox One X is just as good as my 2Tb Samsung 860 Evo is just following the crowd.

Everything is faster, games load faster, textures load faster, I can respawn faster than anyone in my party, the difference is very noticeable IF the drive is done properly. 

No matter how much the HDD is optimised it will never beat the speed of an SSD. 

Everywhere I go, I see this wrong information, there are even videos and graphs now proving this. 

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you still have warranty or if you don't know what you are doing and please, never try and clone the drive, you would be better plugging in an external. I could of gone down that route but I wanted to see the results for myself. 

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

What is an HHD??

Sorry, HDD

On 12/9/2017 at 8:33 PM, lieder1987 said:

You do what all big companies want you to do when you still want something and its old. You buy it again.

Or just upgrade / replace the Hard Drive

Something on the SSD side, theres a gb min spec for putting games on. I thought I was being clever putting a 120gb SSD in a usb 3.0 external I had lying around, Xbox says no storage needs to be 480gb minimum, so I bought a cheap one on sale. Its well worth the money having one for the better load times.