HiFiMan HE-4XX Review, Planar Magnetics you can drive with a cellphone for $170

Wolf_Lbh

tl;dr: If you're looking for open headphones for $200 or less, buy these. End of story.

Sound:
The word immaculate comes to mind. I've previously used the akg k7XX extensively which are reference quality headphones and work amazingly but I found they sometimes added a bit of a harshness to the audio. If I had to express how it sounds with words I would describe it as a "surgical precision" like a scalpel making an exact cut. The HiFiMan HE-4XX are similar in that I in no way doubt the audio they provided is exactly the way it was intended to sound but I never noticed any harshness, perhaps it is because of the planar magnetic drivers but the feel I get from these is an absolutely flawless listening experience that is still always fun without coloring the sound.

I've tested these with an "all purpose" use in mind. Everything from youtube vids, music from a variety of genres with focuses varying from metal to edm to acoustics to vocals, podcasts, and of course gaming.

Comfort:
The first thought I had upon putting these on my head was that this must be what it is like to be a dog and live your life with ears made of velvet because holy balls are these focus-a pads some of the most comfortable things I've ever had on my ears. And the padding under that velvet (Disclaimer: material is actually velour) is freaking perfect in terms of firmness and thickness. The second thought I had was that this must be what (Game of thrones tv spoilers) Oberyn Martell felt like because the clamping pressure on these puppies out of the box is like the Mountain is trying to crush my skull. (Disclaimer: I have a large skull so I get hit worse than most people by excessive clamping pressure.) 24 hours of use and some bending later and they have broken in nicely and have a completely comfortable amount of pressure. The headband is covered in leather which is also extremely comfortable. For reference in addition to the Akg K7xx I've also owned Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Pros and I sewed an extra padding strip on both of those headbands but felt no need to add anything extra to these.

Aesthetics:
Leather, metal, velour, black, and ...midnight blue? Okay I guess I should be glad because the massdrop picture looked like this awful purple was used to accent these headphones but why not just go black on black instead of black and a shade of blue that is one notch away from black? It is a small nitpick because 99% of people seeing these would probably not notice or even think about it but I'm ocd and batman is my god damn spirit animal so give me the darkness my inner edgy emo craves. I like my headphones black just like my metal.

Build quality:
Fantastic. Spring steel headband wrapped in leather, metal pivots (blackened to match the aesthetic), velour pads with perfect foam, easy to drive planar magnetic drivers, and an easily replaceable cable that terminates in 2 3.5mm plugs and not some god awful proprietary alien looking connector!

Impedance:
That's correct. My Galaxy S7 edge powers these things to "seriously uncomfortably loud" at max power which is a step or two under "screaming" on my scale. My comfortable listening volume is a notch under the 3/4ths mark (So about 65-70% volume). Ladies and gentlemen, these are planar magnetics you can take with you on the go! Why you would take open backed full sized headphones out instead of sound isolating iems remains a mystery to me but at the very least you can use these at home without an amp if you so choose.

Price:
At a $170 price tag I honestly can't think of any other headphone on the market I would want to own more. Even the Sennheiser HD 6XX costs $30 more and the HiFiMan HE-400i I'm told this model is based on costs $50 more and has a seriously inferior headband. Anything else I would consider buying over this is in the $500+ range.

Cons:
The stock pads get warm and in the summer I'm certain these are going to be some real ear sweaters. Luckily they are easily swapped.
The adjustment slider doesn't click into place. It has a firm grip and I've done the headshake test and had 0 slippage but I thought I should mention that is the only compromise I can notice that has been made on the massdrop version of the product. (But the headband is massively improved so I'd call that a more than fair trade for $50 off, also 3.5mm jacks are used on the massdrop version which is a huge improvement over the stock HiFiMan 400i model's weird prong things)

Overall:
I give these a 9.5/10 and are making these my recommended buying headphones. (Combine these with a Schiit Fulla 2 and you've got the best bang for your buck budget setup on the market. Or a Mayflower Arc if you want to run a mod mic on these suckers.(The sides don't have a good attachment point unless you want to go high and use the adjustment clamp for the sliders but the bottom is thick enough))

Wow that is a glowing recommendation... I would be curious to hear if anyone else has experience with them

especially considering this:

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.35c1357fed139c3cb17917294e92a8e7.PNG

I looked them up and this seems to me like a pretty wild rollercoaster xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Or a Mayflower Arc if you want to run a mod mic on these suckers

You don't need a Arc to run a Mod Mic. The Arc was made for mic like the Vmoda Boompro where the headphones and mic share the same cable. If you plugged the headphones into an Amp and the mic part into your PC you get a ground loop and it creates massive feedback and popping. Since the Mod Mic has it's own totally separate cable you don't have this issue and you can plug right into your PC, so you don't need the Arc.

10 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

At a $170 price tag I honestly can't think of any other headphone on the market I would want to own more. Even the Sennheiser HD 6XX

Also how do you know this? Have you tried the 6XXs?

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow that is a glowing recommendation... I would be curious to hear if anyone else has experience with them

especially considering this:

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.PNG.35c1357fed139c3cb17917294e92a8e7.PNG

I looked them up and this seems to me like a pretty wild rollercoaster xD

That FR graph doesn't look unusual

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@spwath posted a brief review here:  (He might have done a mode detailed one later that I didn't see)

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

You don't need a Arc to run a Mod Mic. The Arc was made for mic like the Vmoda Boompro where the headphones and mic share the same cable. If you plugged the headphones into an Amp and the mic part into your PC you don't a ground loop and it created massive feedback and popping. Since the Mod Mic has it's own totally separate cable you don't have this issue and you can plug right into your PC, so you don't need the Arc.

I prefer using the Mayflower Arc with my mod mic because otherwise I am using it at a usb hub so this way it only takes up one usb slot for both my mic and headphones but you do make a fair point for anyone with a mic input available.

9 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

That FR graph doesn't look unusual

Well it's like +/- 10 dB from what I can see which just seemed a bit high to me

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I said "Even the HD 6xx cost $30 more" just to be clear. The way you quoted it makes it look like I was saying that I prefer the HE-4xx over them. I simply mentioned the HD 6xx because they are competition for it and priced similarly.

And no I have not tried them, however I trust Linus' ears and he claims the HD 600s are virtually the same as the akg k7xx which I am familiar with and largely prefer the HE-4xx over.

10 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Exactly! I have a number of higher end cans, including the HE560 and HE1000 v1, and the HD6XX holds its own even against them. I'm NOT saying it beats them, just that for a 200USD pair of cans, it certainly hits above its weight class....and no, Linus isn't that good when it comes to audio.....but I'd take his opnion over Z.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

6 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

and no, Linus isn't that good when it comes to audio.....but I'd take his opnion over Z.

No come on, I know Z isn't a by the books reviewer, but he does get a lot of stuff right, he's that guy who just doesn't care about what everything or everybody says and is just 100% with what he hears and thinks. Linus has basically no clue what he's talking about with a lot of audio stuff. I was cringing so hard when he reviewed that sound card a few weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I said "Even the HD 6xx cost $30 more" just to be clear. The way you quoted it makes it look like I was saying that I prefer the HE-4xx over them. I simply mentioned the HD 6xx because they are competition for it and priced similarly.

And no I have not tried them, however I trust Linus' ears and he claims the HD 600s are virtually the same as the akg k7xx which I am familiar with and largely prefer the HE-4xx over.

Not even close. The K7XXs and HD600s are massively different.

25 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Exactly! I have a number of higher end cans, including the HE560 and HE1000 v1, and the HD6XX holds its own even against them. I'm NOT saying it beats them, just that for a 200USD pair of cans, it certainly hits above its weight class....and no, Linus isn't that good when it comes to audio.....but I'd take his opnion over Z.

In the audio world opinion/personal taste is basically equally as important as anything the audio setup is doing when it comes to how someone will value a product so I don't take "word of mouth" for very much but I've heard many people say the HD 6xx were amazing so I simply mentioned them to say that they are available competition if you want to spend $30 more for something that may offer the same or slightly worse performance. (I don't expect anything to beat the HE-4xx honestly, especially if someone can't tell the difference between it and the akg k7xx)

9 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

(But the headband is massively improved so I'd call that a more than fair trade for $50 off, also 3.5mm jacks are used on the massdrop version which is a huge improvement over the stock HiFiMan 400i model's weird prong things)

In what way is it 'massively improved'? As for the 3.5mm jacks on the HE4XX, the HE400i does have the same 3.5mm connectors as well. Only the older versions of it as well as my HE560, have that 'weird prong things' aka SMC connectors. Soundwise, there is no difference though. In all honesty, I read through your impressions with some amusement since you were throwing hyperbole all over the place, and while I agree that for 170USD, the HE4XX is an awesome deal, I'd not describe it as 'immaculate' Don't get me wrong, I love HiFiMan (owner of the HE1000 v1, HE560, HE-4, HM901s, Dock-1), but even I'd not describe any of them as 'immaculate'.....though I do appreciate your enthusiasm.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

11 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

In what way is it 'massively improved'? As for the 3.5mm jacks on the HE4XX, the HE400i does have the same 3.5mm connectors as well. Only the older versions of it as well as my HE560, have that 'weird prong things' aka SMC connectors. Soundwise, there is no difference though. In all honesty, I read through your impressions with some amusement since you were throwing hyperbole all over the place, and while I agree that for 170USD, the HE4XX is an awesome deal, I'd not describe it as 'immaculate' Don't get me wrong, I love HiFiMan (owner of the HE1000 v1, HE560, HE-4, HM901s, Dock-1), but even I'd not describe any of them as 'immaculate'.....though I do appreciate your enthusiasm.

The 4XX headband isn't improved at all. That's the worse old style Hifiman headband. The 4XXs are HE400i drivers in the old style Hifiman body, like the HE6s.

14 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

The old headband is not comfortable at all. It is a thin strip of fabric over metal wires and I actively despise it, a lot of others that own it feel the same. The new spring steel band wrapped in leather is very comfortable and not a constant annoyance. I count that as a massive improvement.

I was unaware the connectors had been updated on newer models.

You're free to describe the sound as you wish but my impression was that it was incredibly accurate without casting a harsh light on material that was originally recorded poorly. I find them very fun to listen to and even bobbed my head to a few songs I've never done that to before.

I did make some colorful comparisons for the sake of making it an entertaining read, but I made no deceptions about the heart of what I was saying. For example, my skull was in no danger of literally being crushed but the original clamping pressure was extremely strong until it was broken in.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

The 4XX headband isn't improved at all. That's the worse old style Hifiman headband. The 4XXs are HE400i drivers in the old style Hifiman body, like the HE6s.

Yeah, I was looking at pics of the HE4XX, it has perhaps somewhat thicker padding than the old HE400/HE4/etc, but certainly not as good as the bands on the HE400i and up. I guess he's real enthusiastic about it, can't blame him though.

3 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Yeah, I was looking at pics of the HE4XX, it has perhaps somewhat thicker padding than the old HE400/HE4/etc, but certainly not as good as the bands on the HE400i and up. I guess he's real enthusiastic about it, can't blame him though.

I really can't believe you like the 400i headband design. Everyone I've talked to about it has universally hated it with me up until now lol.

I have to say the spring steel band wrapped in leather is many times more comfortable that the 400i imo. I could not get the latter to feel comfortable on my head no matter what I did. It was just a very strange and awkward way of suspending the headphone.

How does this headset compare to the AQ Nighthawk?

6 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I really can't believe you like the 400i headband design. Everyone I've talked to about it has universally hated it with me up until now lol.

I have to say the spring steel band wrapped in leather is many times more comfortable that the 400i imo. I could not get the latter to feel comfortable on my head no matter what I did. It was just a very strange and awkward way of suspending the headphone.

Likewise, I can say I can't believe you like the HE4XX headband design....remember, you're expressing just an opinion, you don't have to imply I'm a liar. I simply prefer the HE400i/560 headband over the 'immaculate' HE4XX's headband, am I not entitled to my own opinion and preferences as well?

47 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Likewise, I can say I can't believe you like the HE4XX headband design....remember, you're expressing just an opinion, you don't have to imply I'm a liar. I simply prefer the HE400i/560 headband over the 'immaculate' HE4XX's headband, am I not entitled to my own opinion and preferences as well?

I was in no way implying you are a liar, and I certainly didn't mean to make you think that. I simply meant I couldn't believe you held that opinion, not that I doubted the validity of your opinion. I meant to express surprise not scrutiny.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:02 AM, GamerDude said:

I'm not OP, but I also have a pair of HE4XXs. I was very worried about comfort after reading a lot of negative opinions about the older style HifiMan headband, however I am very happy to say that after a few days of heavy use while gaming and listening to music (4+ hours a day) that I have not felt any discomfort from them. In fact this is one of my more comfortable pairs. I know what an uncomfortable pair of headphones feels like, after using my Grado sr325is for 4  years, and also having owned a pair of AKG Q701s (THE FUCKING BUMPS ON THE BAND), I also know what a pleasure to wear the AKG K7XXs are. I'd say they don't top the K7XXs though. 

4 minutes ago, duplissi said:

I'm not OP, but I also have a pair of HE4XXs. I was very worried about comfort after reading a lot of negative opinions about the older style HifiMan headband, however I am very happy to say that after a few days of heavy use while gaming and listening to music (4+ hours a day) that I have not felt any discomfort from them. In fact this is one of my more comfortable pairs. I know what an uncomfortable pair of headphones feels like, after using my Grado sr325is for 4  years, and also having owned a pair of AKG Q701s (THE FUCKING BUMPS ON THE BAND), I also know what a pleasure to wear the AKG K7XXs are. I'd say they don't top the K7XXs though. 

The earpads on the akg k7xx were probably better, they were light and felt good but didn't overheat my ears, meanwhile these feel amazing but a little too toasty. I wasn't that fond of the headband on the akg k7xx either though, but I managed to get it perfect by sewing in a cheap padding strip:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XBOM9QU
On the other hand I felt no need to modify the headband on the HE-4xx.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... so I had to register just to post this... and to warn people about your "review". Your opinon seems like you have just fell in love with your new cans... as someone stated already, even Linus, and experienced reviewed seems not to know much about audio besides probably having tried every possible expensive gear.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:06 PM, Wolf_Lbh said:

In the audio world opinion/personal taste is basically equally as important as anything the audio setup is doing when it comes to how someone will value a product so I don't take "word of mouth" for very much but I've heard many people say the HD 6xx were amazing so I simply mentioned them to say that they are available competition if you want to spend $30 more for something that may offer the same or slightly worse performance. (I don't expect anything to beat the HE-4xx honestly, especially if someone can't tell the difference between it and the akg k7xx)

You are again implying the 6XX may offer the same or worse performance.. and then that you don't expect anything to beat the HE-4XX.... while me and many are considering the HD650 such a great scaling headphone that is rivaling many more expensive ones (I do like it more than my Shure SRH-1840 which is 

You have never heard the HD6XX/HD650 but you just state this are the end game for 200 USD cans which is plain missleading. Also, you cite the K7XX as having sheers of detail while the most important aspect of those cans is the amazing soundstage, the rest is not outstanding at al.

The 4XX doesn't have the same musicality as the 6XX. With the HiFiMan you get more instrument separation, less bass, a more crude representation, more fatigue... For me there is something piercing in the 4XX representation that's nowhere in the 6XX. The 4XX is also much more in your face sound.

Here it's a comparison with some of my gear, excuse there is no 4XX but HE-400 will give an idea, you can see the huge drop in the upper midrange compared to others:

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B0

What's your DAC/Amp? What type of music have you tested?

Reference: I do have the 4XX, the K7XX and the 6XX along with Shure SE535, Shure SRH-1840, V-Moda M-100, Denon MM-400, HD598 and have tried a fair share of cans. I also pair them with Burson Audio HA-160D, Dragonfly V1.2 and Dacport LX.

I found the HE-4XX to have timbre issues especially with the mids, IMO I find the HE-400i a better buy since the prices are so low now.

I don't agree that these are better than the HD6XXs. Less timbre issues, a smoother FR and more detail. Only thing I felt was worse was bass extension.

1 hour ago, seduce_me said:

I found the HE-4XX to have timbre issues especially with the mids, IMO I find the HE-400i a better buy since the prices are so low now.

I don't agree that these are better than the HD6XXs. Less timbre issues, a smoother FR and more detail. Only thing I felt was worse was bass extension.

Right. I feel the he-4xx are very good for $170, but the hd6xx are amazing for $200.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."