My silent Xserve case mod

Although I have been lurking around a lot on this forum, I was never an active member. As a welcome post I would like to show you the case mod I just completed.

The Xserve 1,1 I bought off the local Craigslist was not exactly what I had hoped for. Unbearable noise and extremely difficult to update it to at least something like El Capitan. Lion, the last officially available update was unbearable to someone who is already on High Sierra. 

Click here for the original Xserve Noise levels. Spoiler. 52-53dB at idle, 70-71dB at full blast. 

Instead of filling up the forum's space with pictures, I ll post the imgur post I made here 

The post mod video can be found here

I m glad to answer any questions regarding the project. Hope this gives everyone some food for thought. 

xserve.jpg

Edited by Antonismac
syntax

The server inside is a dual QC Xeon L5520 Dell R410 with 16gb of ram and 2x1TB hot swappable hard drives. Basically I wanted a 1u server I could keep in the living room. It idles at around 95W in total with those ancient Hitachi drrives it has currently installed.