What kind of specs do I need for programming?

I am a CS major just starting my last two semesters and I can honestly say the only time I have noticed a difference between my 2nd gen i3 laptop and my 4770k when running programs I developed myself was back in my Data Structures class where we wrote a program to learn about Hash Tables and we were running through millions of calculations. I wouldn't spend much unless you have some other reason to do so.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

a $1700 build will give you more than enough power to code on.

The only advice I would give is:

Get good peripherals, and a comfy chair.

I'm a software developer myself, and I find the most important things to me in a computer are:

8GB of ram -> I usually have 5-6 different programs open that can range from Virtual Machines to IDE's or just a web browser with 3847384738478348734 tabs open...

Some reasonably fast processor, personally I prefer a quad-core i7 with a high clock speed...  My reasonings here are as follows:

• High clock speed -> Since the programming I do is mainly scientific calculations and usually require a Hemi...
  • Hyperthreading -> This is extremely nice for the multi-threaded programs I write often, however you may not really need this...

Finally, a SSD is usually pretty nice just because of the overall system responsiveness.

Since you are just getting into programming I would suggest the following for your system:

CPU - i5 K series processor (can be anything like a 2500K, 3570K, 4670K) -> this will give the raw horsepower you will need for some more hardcore computational programming that C++ can really do well.

RAM - 8GB -> I wouldn't go less here... it really is nice to have for productivity... not so much for the programs you write but instead for the tools you use to write them...

2+ Monitors -> Once you get 2+ monitors you will never use anything less for programming... it saves so much time not having to swap between windows, programs, etc...

Hope this helps...

Also, as a side note... I am pretty well versed in many different programming languages so if you get stuck or need some tips just hit me up! :D

If you really have 1700 to spend I would put about 1000 of it towards the the Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor (P2815Q) when it comes out early 2014. Screen space is so nice when coding.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

a $1700 build will give you more than enough power to code on.

The only advice I would give is:

Get good peripherals, and a comfy chair.

This!

If you really have 1700 to spend I would put about 1000 of it towards the the Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor (P2815Q) when it comes out early 2014. Screen space is so nice when coding.

or spend the same amount on multiple nicer looking monitors 0.o

or spend the same amount on multiple nicer looking monitors 0.o

Such as?

It doesn't get much nicer than Dell for consumer grade workstation monitors, and 4K is going to be awesome for getting work done.

I personally have a PLP setup with 2 Dell 2007FP flanking a Dell U3011 and love it. Also have a Samsung monitor mounted above the U3011.

SSD Firmware Engineer

Such as?

It doesn't get much nicer than Dell for consumer grade workstation monitors, and 4K is going to be awesome for getting work done.

I personally have a PLP setup with 2 Dell 2007FP flanking a Dell U3011 and love it. Also have a Samsung monitor mounted above the U3011.

My point is, he can get multiple IPS panels that add up to or near a similar resolution for cheaper...

If i'm not mistaken... I thought that panel wasn't IPS...

Man, I can't wait for the 24" 4K IPS monitors to come down to like $500. Once they do I am in for 3.

SSD Firmware Engineer

Oh ok, I heard someone say that it really helps to have a i7 and 16gb of ram.

I was coding C++ with a sandy bridge i3 laptop with the onboard graphics just fine. Multiple monitors would help a ton though, i recommend it

Praise Duarte!

I was coding C++ with a sandy bridge i3 laptop with the onboard graphics just fine. Multiple monitors would help a ton though, i recommend it

Sure it's doable. But when mark or $ deadlines approach, the extra power helps.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Sure it's doable. But when mark or $ deadlines approach, the extra power helps.

IMO raw clock speed is really nice to have... but moar ram and moar monitors I've found to be the most important :D

IMO raw clock speed is really nice to have... but moar ram and moar monitors I've found to be the most important :D

Agreed.

you need patience, time, a geeky mind and some real passion for that kind of stuff

speaking of hardware, you will need

- a book (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list)

- a computer that can run minesweeper at 15+ fps

- this http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-12-Cup-Switch-Coffeemaker/dp/B002MVJQPA/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1387891314&sr=1-4

you need patience, time, a geeky mind and some real passion for that kind of stuff

speaking of hardware, you will need

- a book (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list)

- a computer that can run minesweeper at 15+ fps

- this http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-12-Cup-Switch-Coffeemaker/dp/B002MVJQPA/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1387891314&sr=1-4

I lol'd @ the third one... cause its soooo true xD

As many have already stated, programming doesn't really require high end hardware. Though, when you are sitting in front of the screen for five hours after work or school, I bet you want something good. My PC costs 1000 euros, but my peripherals cost about twice that plus my ridiculous expensive desk and my 400 € chair. 

In the end of the day, you will appreciate that you can go to bed withouth your neck being sore or your wrists aching.

As many have already stated, programming doesn't really require high end hardware. Though, when you are sitting in front of the screen for five hours after work or school, I bet you want something good. My PC costs 1000 euros, but my peripherals cost about twice that plus my ridiculous expensive desk and my 400 € chair. 

In the end of the day, you will appreciate that you can go to bed withouth your neck being sore or your wrists aching.

You raise a very good point. Chair & desk really are important. Especially locating keyboard and mouse at ergonomically correct heights and orientations. Programmers often develop carpal tunnel and related injuries when these factors are ignored.

You raise a very good point. Chair & desk really are important. Especially locating keyboard and mouse at ergonomically correct heights and orientations. Programmers often develop carpal tunnel and related injuries when these factors are ignored.

Yea. Now when I can set my desk to the right height as well as adjust the seat depth, chair back height and angle etc I have no problems sitting here for the whole day. Also, I used to get my right wrist, the one I use mouse with, to ache but now when I invested in a good mouse I haven't had any problems. Though it is very hard to find the right one for you, I remember reading reviews and trying a lot of mice before I found the right one.