HP ZBook X2: A Quick Look at the Ridiculously Powerful (and Pricey!) Detachable

PlayStation 2

Original article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/18/hp-zbook-x2-hands-on/

Also this: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations-x2/index.html

img-9607e-1.jpg

HP claims to have made the "world's most powerful detachable." The company is unveiling its ZBook X2 convertible at the Adobe Max conference today, which is appropriate since this device is designed for people who use Adobe's pro software suite. Specifically, people who use apps like Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator and need a capable tablet that can keep up with demanding graphics editing on the go.

Shipping with a 3840x2160 display, a Core i7-7500U (base model, higher end ones go up to the 7600U and a refresh in 2018 will bring in quad-core Coffee Lake i7s), an Nvidia Quadro M620, 8GB of RAM up to 32GB of RAM, a year of Adobe Creative Cloud and a nice assortment of ports, HP seems to aim for this to be used in applications like Photoshop, Premier and Illustrator, which would explain the specs used in this machine. Among all this, all models appear to ship with an actual keyboard base, unlike other unnamed tablets!

The tablet's cut-off corners and the vents on its side add a rugged aesthetic. Under the vents lie the device's dual-fan cooling system. This helps prevent overheating of the X2's powerful processors: a seventh-generation Intel Core i7 CPU that reaches a clock speed of 4.2GHz in Turbo Boost, along with an NVIDIA Quadro M620 graphics card. The tablet's 32GB of RAM should also make for smooth multitasking even with multiple canvases open. In addition to premium internal components, the ZBook X2 also sports a slew of ports like USB-A, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3 and an SD card slot. To keep your investment safe from falls, the device is also designed to meet MIL-STD-810G durability standards.

The rest of the ZBook's features are relatively straightforward. It has a fingerprint sensor and a 720p webcam that supports Windows Hello's facial recognition technology for convenient logins. HP estimates the ZBook X2 can last up to 10 hours, and that it can recharge to 50 percent in 30 minutes.

All in all, if it weren't for the starting price tag of $1750, it would sound like it'd have potential, but even then, I'm not sure how practical this would be. What's your thoughts on this... uhm, thing?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Bla bla Core i7-7500U  bla bla  32GB of RAM  ,  Quadro M620  bla bla

For 1750 USD why don't go for a quad core cpu :/ you putt 32GB of ram and a good quadro But a F*** quad core cpu. na na.

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

1 minute ago, Swealteek said:

For 1750 USD why don't go for a quad core cpu :/ you putt 32GB of ram and a good quadro But a F*** quad core cpu. na na.

Probably because a 7700HQ wouldn't have been feasible?

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

HP claims to have made the "world's most powerful detachable."

Isn't the Surface Book 2 considered a detachable too?

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The 8th gen U series uses 4 cores with hyper threading enabled. So practically a 7700HQ with lower clocks and TDP. (There are more differences but still)

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

As in, Cooling i gas, But your targeting pro summers. So fotoshop video editing , drawing ect. and on the subject of cooling ware talikng about a 15watt cpu thare ar I7 that have a TDP of 15 watts

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/128509/intel-zet-details-over-zuinige-15w-quadcores-voor-laptops-online.html

(Or just pull a apple and just give them a 4 core option with no good cooling)

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

Just now, tjcater said:

Isn't the Surface Book 2 considered a detachable too?

The 8th gen U series uses 4 cores with hyper threading enabled. So practically a 7700HQ with lower clocks and TDP. (There are more differences but still)

Ehh... I'd consider it more of a laptop. 

On the latter, I was going based more off of Kaby Lake or whatever than Coffee Lake.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Ehh... I'd consider it more of a laptop. 

On the latter, I was going based more off of Kaby Lake or whatever than Coffee Lake.

Well you can detach the display and it is using the Coffee Lake series too. Just wanted to call HP out on their claim. (That is if HP claimed that and not engadget putting words into their mouth)

Edited by Guest
there -> their

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Feasible to have a 4770HQ in the Viao Z Canvas and the 7700HQ in the MacBook Pro.

9 minutes ago, tjcater said:

That very likely stays close to its base clock due to power draw limitations of the U skus.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Theodore Cartman said:

There will be a quad core option in 2018. This on the product page http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations-x2/index.html on the quick specs sheet

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 4.53.48 PM.png

@Dan Castellaneta This might be good to add as an update to the post. Still curious how the Quadro M620 compares with the GTX 1050/1060 in CAD and the like, I know the GTXs would still be far better at gaming though.

With those buttons and stylus, I wonder how well it stacks up for artists and creatives when compared to a Surface Book or other competitor. Besides the dual core, if I was an artist, I would find this very appealing, though I don't know how well it compares with other solutions.

49 minutes ago, tjcater said:

With those buttons and stylus, I wonder how well it stacks up for artists and creatives when compared to a Surface Book or other competitor. Besides the dual core, if I was an artist, I would find this very appealing, though I don't know how well it compares with other solutions.

This reminds me

The lag is evident that's why most creative professionals like cartoonists and animators still use the Wacom Cintiq line. Perhaps HP, Microsoft and others can do a similar thing on what Apple did with adaptive refresh rate up to 120 Hz of the iPad Pro 10.5" to reduce lag. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

The lag is evident that's why most creative professionals like cartoonists and animators still use the Wacom Cintiq line. Perhaps HP, Microsoft and others can do a similar thing on what Apple did with adaptive refresh rate up to 120 Hz to reduce lag. 

I hope that with Apple using it in some devices, other OEMs will begin rolling it out soon. The first I would expect to do so would be Microsoft since they are now trying to make "Hero" devices but we will have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I hope that with Apple using it in some devices, other OEMs will begin rolling it out soon. The first I would expect to do so would be Microsoft since they are now trying to make "Hero" devices but we will have to wait and see.

I wonder if the current Surface Book 2 has GSync since it uses mobile NVIDIA GPUs at least for the higher end models. https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/06/nvidia-announces-g-sync-for-laptops-reveals-low-level-tech-details/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I wonder if the current Surface Book 2 has GSync since it uses mobile NVIDIA GPUs at least for the higher end models

That is a good question, I would imagine Optimus since they are bragging about the battery life and all, but the "hot swapping" of the GPU makes it harder to say which would be more likely as my knowledge in how the two work is limited.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Feasible to have a 4770HQ in the Viao Z Canvas and the 7700HQ in the MacBook Pro.

But the Viao Z canvas doesn't have a dGPU while the MacBook Pro (15") is a larger form factor :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But the Viao Z canvas doesn't have a dGPU while the MacBook Pro (15") is a larger form factor :P 

So instead of putting in a decent CPU, HP decided to suppliment a dGPU worse than the integrated graphics on the 7700HQ.

As per Technical city, the M620 is marginally better than the M1000m, which is a fair bit worse than HD 630.

And the MBP's size goes a significant way towards battery.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

18 minutes ago, tjcater said:

That is a good question, I would imagine Optimus since they are bragging about the battery life and all, but the "hot swapping" of the GPU makes it harder to say which would be more likely as my knowledge in how the two work is limited.

Optimus is used in conjuction with hot swap GPU.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So instead of putting in a decent CPU, HP decided to suppliment a dGPU worse than the integrated graphics on the 7700HQ.

As per Technical city, the M620 is marginally better than the M1000m, which is a fair bit worse than HD 630.

And the MBP's size goes a significant way towards battery.

Lemme just put this here :) 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HD-Graphics-630-vs-Quadro-M620_7652_7708.247598.0.html

Edit: Ah shit, forgot to answer the part regarding the MBP size :P 

76WHr (MBP 15) vs 70WHr, say what now? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

cool but il never get to even see one probably lol. pricetag is honestly understandable for that, looks sweet and packs pretty good specs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016