Panasonic GH5 Speedbooster + Canon lenses autofocus speed

A friend of mine is deciding on what camera to choose to step up from his Canon 6D.

He wants something better for video, but it must be good at stills also.

He is considering a GH5 with Speedbooster (so he can use it with his Canon glass, mainly Sigma primes).

His main concern is autofocus for photography, (no sports shooting, just casual portraits and street photography)

so if anyone has any experience with it, it would be greate if you share.

Thx!

ASUS ROG Strix GL502VM

i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 128GB SSD+1TB HDD 5400 RPM | 1080p IPS G-Sync 

I’d probably chose Sony instead if you want a step up in both video and images. The GH5 is probably great at images, but it is probably no where as good as the 6D considering its a Fullframe vs a m4/3. 

It really depends what you are most focusd on and what budget you have. The A7r ii is said to work well with Canon EF lenses AF wise with a Sigma Mc-11 adapter for example (and has good video features). Same goes for the a6300 and a6500 which both are well suited for video. (1080p 120fps, 4k 30fps, XAVC-S and log profiles)

The GH5 is very good for video yes, but I think it lacks quite a bit on the photo and AF side compared to the Sony’s imo. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

8 hours ago, damianisko said:

A friend of mine is deciding on what camera to choose to step up from his Canon 6D.

He wants something better for video, but it must be good at stills also.

He is considering a GH5 with Speedbooster (so he can use it with his Canon glass, mainly Sigma primes).

His main concern is autofocus for photography, (no sports shooting, just casual portraits and street photography)

so if anyone has any experience with it, it would be greate if you share.

Thx!

Speedboosters are better suited for video use, and for performance look online (e.g. Facebook GH5 users group) and ask how other people who use them feel about performance.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Speedboosters are better suited for video use, and for performance look online (e.g. Facebook GH5 users group) and ask how other people who use them feel about performance.

ok, thanks for the suggestion

and thanks for your answer too @xQubeZx

ASUS ROG Strix GL502VM

i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 128GB SSD+1TB HDD 5400 RPM | 1080p IPS G-Sync