Router security options...

MyName13

Is my router properly configured?As far as I know WPA shouldn't be used anymore (I have only recently realised that it was turned on along with wpa2-psk).Is wpa2 with AES encryption better than AES+TKIP?

net.jpg

Yeah, looks alright. Not directly as a reply to the OP, but in case someone else stumbles upon this thread: WPA2 mixed-mode, ie. allowing both AES and TKIP should be avoided, and so should just WPA2 TKIP. WPA2 TKIP/mixed-mode is a compatibility-option for older clients, but it's also vulnerable. (Then again, as per today's CVE-reports, WPA2 itself is now also vulnerable and requires patching on routers/access-points and all the devices connected)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

it's the best you can do with the equipment you have :).

don't know what password you entered but I assume you picked a good one, what i personally do lately is just have a hashed string as my password (something I can remember in case i would really lose everything) and then make a QR code for connecting to my network, as most devices nowadays have a camera anyways so you can just make them scan the QR code to connect to the network.

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Yeah, looks alright. Not directly as a reply to the OP, but in case someone else stumbles upon this thread: WPA2 mixed-mode, ie. allowing both AES and TKIP should be avoided, and so should just WPA2 TKIP. WPA2 TKIP/mixed-mode is a compatibility-option for older clients, but it's also vulnerable. (Then again, as per today's CVE-reports, WPA2 itself is now also vulnerable and requires patching on routers/access-points and all the devices connected)

With the new vulnerability, anything with TKIP or AES+TKIP can have traffic injected into the network, but anything using AES only can only snooped on. So TKIP, the attacker can join your network, AES they can only listen to traffic. Still scary, but even more reason to never use TKIP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: