Any good routers ?

PandaDroid
Go to solution Solved by Levisallanon,
2 hours ago, PandaDroid said:

Yes, right. I need a more powerful router than the one i have right now

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 15.34.03.png

don't forget wifi works both ways, so your rooter might be able to reach the phone but the phone doesn't have a big antenta so it can't reach the router. that's why you probably need to go for a 2 router setup to make sure it doesn't have to penetrate the walls.

1 minute ago, Levisallanon said:

if you can't move the router then you will probably need an extra one. Picking up a new router might give you better range in the rooms you have wifi already, but I doubt it will be able to reach the room in the bottom right corner.

Your best option would be to move the router to the central room/hallway, but if that's not an option I would personally see if you are able to have a wire go to the room above the bottom right room and install a second Access point here. this should give you coverange in all your house. Especially if you are able to move the other router a bit more to the bottom right corner of the room it is in now.
You want to put a network cable (cat5e or higher) in one of the LAN ports (yellow ones) of your current router and run this cable to the new router. You can choose if you put it in the WAN port, if you do this you need to set up a different DHCP range and you can isolate it from the other AP, I don't think you want this. So you can put it in bridge mode (that's how it's often called, it could also be called access point mode) and then probably it needs to be inserted in the LAN ports on this router, but that depens on the device itself. It doesn't really matter that much which router you pick, you can even search for access points which often are a bit cheaper.

If running a network cable doesn't work for some reason you could see if you can use Ethernet over Power, where you use your powerlines to cary the signal to another wall output and pick it up again here. These devices do have a speed limitation (the high end ones I believe go up to 500 mbit) so if you are reliant on a fast internal network (for example if you are using a nas etc) you might want to look into running that cable anyways.

I only need wifi in the other end of the room near mine.

1 minute ago, PandaDroid said:

I only need wifi in the other end of the room near mine.

Ah new info again :).
well then try to place the router closer to the wall. that should do the trick just fine.
Is there any reason you can't move the router?

Just now, Levisallanon said:

Ah new info again :).
well then try to place the router closer to the wall. that should do the trick just fine.
Is there any reason you can't move the router?

coax cable not long enough. I cant move it in the center room because it is currently under the external part of the wall, and the isolation is over it.

1 minute ago, PandaDroid said:

coax cable not long enough. I cant move it in the center room because it is currently under the external part of the wall, and the isolation is over it.

ah you've got a router/modem combo.
would you be able to run a ethernet cable to the other side of the room?

it's not a combo, already tried that with 2 different routers, one was borrowed from a friend. still no wifi coverage in the next room. 

Just now, PandaDroid said:

it's not a combo, already tried that with 2 different routers, one was borrowed from a friend. still no wifi coverage in the next room. 

then why is it connected with a coax cable?
you have the coax cable going into your modem and then an ethernet cable going into your router right?

with this setup you have some coverage in the room already but not enough you said. Or are we talking about the room on the right where you need the signal to get to?

2 hours ago, PandaDroid said:

don't forget wifi works both ways, so your rooter might be able to reach the phone but the phone doesn't have a big antenta so it can't reach the router. that's why you probably need to go for a 2 router setup to make sure it doesn't have to penetrate the walls.

If this helps, I recommend utilizing the Netgear DM200 (EU and US are precisely the same, I had already verified this) wired modem/router (If you are a VDSL consumer), running LEDE (yes,I realize there is no official "stable" version out for it yet) in conjunction with the Xiaomi Mi 3 Router, running Padavan (you'll have to compile the firmware yourself though, what I had compiled is not suitable for everyone (I remove what I don't need)).

We have a house that has thicker walls than the usual for our country (which already uses concrete), and the Mi 3 Router has extremely great coverage in relation to our previous routers (~80% reception where we previously had ~20%-40% on 2.4GHz, and ~50%-60% reception where we previously had 0%-20% on 5GHz, plus it supports up to ~300Mbts on N (2.4GHz), up to ~600Mbts on N (5GHz) and up to ~866Mbts on AC, as opposed to ~150Mbts on N (2.4GHz) ~300Mbts on N (5GHz) on our previous modem/router.

The only drawback is that both the DM200 and the Mi 3 Router only have 100Mbts ethernet ports.

Update: At least on the router side, I now recommend the Mi 3G Router over the Mi 3 Router (after flashing Padavan, of course), due to it's dual core 880Mhz CPU, DDR3 RAM, 256MB of storage, and Gigabit WAN and LAN ports, and USB3.0, as opposed to the Mi 3's single core 580Mhz CPU, DDR2 RAM, 128MB of storage and 100 Megabits WAN and LAN ports, and USB2.0 (all else is the same).

23 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

You were right. Tried a brand new router. Same thing. Two router setup is the only solution