Hp Omen 27" 165Hz 1440p G-sync monitor review *UGH*

Silentsoul

So, let me start off by saying these are my results and may not be indicative of every sample.

Aesthetically I personally like the design. The almost bezel-less design and matte finish of the monitor and housing are fantastic in my opinion. The exterior build quality feels excellent as well. The base is very sturdy. Tilt and height adjust feel very smooth as well. The monitor arm has a built it headphone holder which I probably wouldn't use myself but is a nice bonus feature. The LED under the monitor is also changeable to a handful of standard colors.

sad.jpg.87ff066007dffe4cdf4c8b45c4658006.jpg

Now, My issues. So, lets start at the beginning. The first one of these I purchased had a weird flickering issue. Mainly in lowlight moving images. Enough though that you could easily pick out that something wasn't right. I tried a new display driver and it did not help. The second thing I noticed on the first monitor which is also present on the second monitor is that every single time I would let the display (just display) go to sleep and resume it will turn on for a slit second, flicker then power cycle back on. 

After the initial issues I returned the first monitor and purchased a second one. Lets just say things did not get any better. Here is an image of a video I took a screenshot of. Below is another image of what it should look like.

Picture taken of the screen while a video is playing. Looks a little worse from the photo than on the screen but all the pixilation and smearing is definitely present.

What this image should look like on screen.

test.png.cc09aaa86649d52e1661d730a7f00139.png

Image on OMEN 27 via phone capture

20171013_234417.thumb.jpg.293948bc7e14c99747ac83bd765cd700.jpg

The Backlight bleed *WOW*

20171013_235243.thumb.jpg.28bd942b2de61470d24b9fb1fcada090.jpg

After I initially noticed the pixilation and smearing during a review video I was watching of the Omen X35 I started doing some more testing. This is not present on all dark scenes but enough of them.

For the out of the box color, it was okay but the gamma and contrast were very high. Almost eye piercing whites. Not a deal breaker because I could get the colors calibrated to an acceptable level. On that topic though, the monitor does NOT have adjustable contrast via the OSD. Really? The buttons are somewhat hard to reach as well being behind the monitor on the bottom side.

Conclusion:

I took a gamble purchasing this monitor in the first place because I couldn't really find any solid reviews about it online. Most of the reviews on amazon weren't even referring to this model. They were referring to the 32" model which are very different. Aesthetically I genuinely like this display. I am sad the results (for me) turned out the way they did. As mentioned earlier I hope these results are not indicative of all of the samples. I am currently in the process of returning this monitor for the second time and I already have an Asus pg279q being shipped.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

8 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

How much did you pay for this?

They are $799

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

3 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

well damn no wonder why you're pissed I would be too 

Right, there should be a lot better quality control on products of this price! My Asus monitor should be here on Monday!

• 1 month later...

@Silentsoul I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but I had to ask. Do you think this monitor would be great for gaming if picked for cheap? (say $370) I wish I had found your review before I made the purchase (kinda late to turn it back now). But was wondering, since it seemed like you have had such a bad experience with it.

Edited by Lightz
Grammar

@Lightz I purchased this monitor from someone off craigslist and I'm absolutly loving it. Have had no issues at all. Think OP just got screwed

• 7 months later...

I picked this monitor up the other day on Amazon as a refurbished for $370.... I think I did pretty good... so far the monitor is performing excellent!!