Disaster!!

So I bought the cheapest 3D printer on Amazon (that was fulfilled by Amazon because the returns policy), it was one of those things where you just click buy without really thinking about it. It turned out to actually be an Anet A8, which I was not expecting, the instructions were surprisingly easy to follow

I created a quick print last night (well, technically this morning as it was 4am by the time I had finished building it, peeling the plastic off took most of the time) and the quality of it was not as bad as I was expecting. I unplugged the printer and went to bed because I really don't trust cheap chinese things. And that was a good decision.

I got up this morning and set a small print away, about 20 minutes in all was going well so I went to go and get some toast, while my toast was in the toaster being toasted all of the power went off. I never thought about it being the printer because the lights tripped as well, and normally only the sockets trip. So I go back upstairs anyway, unplug the printer, go back down and put the electric back on, get my toast and go back to the printer.

I plug the printer back in and there was a rather large bang so I immediately unplug the printer. To be honest, I was fully expecting the power supply to be total crap but i expected the included one to at least last longer than 1 and a half prints.

So now I have to wait another day for Amazon to deliver an upgraded power supply and try to convince them to give me a refund for the value of the power supply, which I fully expect to be able to get.

While I was on Amazon I also purchased some mosfets for the hotbed and hot end, I was going to buy them anyway so now is a good a time as any.

I'm going to get a new build surface, but I don't know whether to go for a Buildtak (or similar) surface, go with glass, or whether to just use masking tape.

Anybody got any ideas, I'll probably be primarily printing in PLA if that of any help. If I start using ABS, I'll probably build a little cupboard to put the unit in to keep the temperature up as I know ABS can be a nightmare without an enclosure

When I get it up and running, I'll start printing out some upgrades like extra supports for the frame and Z-axis. Is there anything else that would be recommended?

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Search on YouTube anet a8 upgrade. Yeah, these things have scary psus.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

27 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Search on YouTube anet a8 upgrade. Yeah, these things have scary psus.

I was fully expecting to replace the PSU but I was expecting to get a few prints out of it first.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

These machines are total deathtraps, you're lucky it didn't go up in flames as they have no safety features at all. Get a proper PSU from a reputable supplier if you want to keep using it, and you'll have to enable thermal runaway protection in firmware.

4 hours ago, makersmuse said:

These machines are total deathtraps, you're lucky it didn't go up in flames as they have no safety features at all. Get a proper PSU from a reputable supplier if you want to keep using it, and you'll have to enable thermal runaway protection in firmware.

Like I say I was going to order a new PSU anyway because I watched a load of videos about the safety upgrades like a new PSU and MOSFETs, but i didn't want to order anything until I knew the machine was working as I may have had to send it back.

PS. Are you the legit Makers Muse or have you just hijacked the name. If so, then I'm a big fan (not literally) and if not, get a life.

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

10 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Like I say I was going to order a new PSU anyway because I watched a load of videos about the safety upgrades like a new PSU and MOSFETs, but i didn't want to order anything until I knew the machine was working as I may have had to send it back.

PS. Are you the legit Makers Muse or have you just hijacked the name. If so, then I'm a big fan (not literally) and if not, get a life.

Just a suggestion if you are looking for a small switching PSU's check Meanwell their stuff sometimes can be a little more expensive depending where you are but have very high quality units.