move windows to ssd

d00m1ord

hi guys

i recently brought an 120gb ssd so I could add it to my existing windows 10 system and move my OS from my 1tb hdd to the ssd and just use the hdd for programs my question is this is there a way to move windows from my hdd to my ssd and then remove it from the hdd and have programs link to the ssd windows

thanks in advance

Yes, I just did this. Reinstall windows onto your ssd. Just do a backup before you actually do it. Best thing to do is have windows help chat open as you do it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

how would I go about doing this I have installed windows onto the ssd so it is currently on the hdd and ssd where do I go from here

1 minute ago, d00m1ord said:

how would I go about doing this I have installed windows onto the ssd so it is currently on the hdd and ssd where do I go from here

Find your windows disk or usb.  You will have to install it from scratch. 

you can get the media creation tool here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/software-download/windows10

you shouldn't do this though unless you feel you're comfortable enough.

yes I installed windows on the ssd already but I'm not sure where to go from here 

Just now, d00m1ord said:

yes I installed windows on the ssd already but I'm not sure where to go from here 

make sure that the boot priority of ssd is no1 and disable the hdd. this will make sure it doesnt boot off the hdd and isntead boot to ssd

Just now, Alexsolo said:

Okay so now that windows is installed on the SSD plug in both drives to the computer.

Go in the BIOS and make sure that it's set to boot onto the SSD first.

Then enter windows. Let me know when you've reached this point.

lol i was late

7 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

ok i went into bios and made the ssd boot priority 1 what next

then delete everything exept personal files from the hdd. then its a personal files hdd

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

You're not booting on the SSD, make sure its plugged in on the sata port labelled Sata 0, or Sata 1 (depending on motherboard)

Also please quote someone when replying in a thread, so I get a notification when you've replied

I set it as boot 1 is there something else I need to do it shows up on the my pc page

screenshot.png

You're not booting on the SSD, make sure its plugged in on the sata port labelled Sata 0, or Sata 1 (depending on motherboard)

Also please quote someone when replying in a thread, so I get a notification when you've replied.

how do you identify from that pic that hes booted on the hdd? r u a hacker or really smart when it comes to windows?

Just now, Alexsolo said:

I set it as boot 1 is there something else I need to do it shows up on the my pc page

I think so don't know if it makes a difference but when I formatted the ssd it assigned it as e drive so will it change when I boot from it also I think the ssd is plugged into sata 3 on my motherboard will this make a difference

Just now, Alexsolo said:

Do you know the model of the motherboard?

msi z97 gaming 5

It won't let you delete if they're currently loaded lol

oh yea... exept if you have old good bat file which can give unlimited permissions to any folder, file or drive :)

Just now, Alexsolo said:

OH WOW! I'll definitely have a look at this! Thanks!

i love this good old (like win7 days old) bat file.

2 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

i love this good old (like win7 days old) bat file.

although im not sure i used the exact same bat file. but when you take ownership itll open cmd which will give permission to selected files/ folders. then closes. basically uses the power of cmd.

30 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Plug SSD into this one, keep HDD unplugged. 

Boot into Windows

PLUG IN HDD WHEN WINDOWS IS LOADED ON SSD

Then delete from the HDD (should be drive letter E in this case since C will be the SSD)

Ok ive got the ssd as my boot drive now had to reinstall windows to it ive plugged my hdd into sata 2 do i now need to restart my pc so it will show up because it isnt showing currently

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

It SHOULD show up, but maybe you're in IDE mode which doesn't allow hot swapping of drives (plugging in and out when it's on)

Yeah, restart the PC, double check that the SSD is the C: drive in "my computer" once you're sure of this, go in the HDD and delete anything that's "program files" or "windows" to avoid it booting onto the HDD in the future. 

All your files (desktop, documents, pictures, music, videos, downloads) will all be found in the "users" folder. 

Let me know if you need any more help!

So is that anything not in the user folder also will i have to reinstall drivers and stuff because my ethernet port isnt working currently 

13 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

but I say you had a backup in there too, so just make sure you don't have any files scattered about before you go deleting everything!

how will I find out if I have files I need elsewhere what should I look for??