Remove HP Server Fans without Preventing Boot?

cstwister

Hello

So currently I have an HP Proliant SE316M1 (basically DL160 G6) and I wanna use it as a rendering server in my room. The main issue is the rackmount server's fans which are usually a vacuum cleaner if not worse... I want to install a few aftermarket coolers for the CPU and an extra fan or two for the overall system cooling taking off the top lid. However before I buy my parts, does anyone know if I can make these things boot without fans in? Or maybe short a pin to make it think its in? Any insight will be appreciated.

Most desktops and I can say some server motherboards have an option in the BIOS to over-ride the fan safety mechanisms. Check if there's an option anywhere in there like fan monitoring and turn the RPM to off or if it just says something like ignore fan state then enable that.

"... in question are actually SE316M1. According to HP, the mainboards are identical to the DL160G6. This turns out to be incorrect, instead the boards are identical to the DL180G6."

"Regardless, the problems and settings are the same. We have made several PCB's which mimic the fans with a 50hz square pulse from 0-3V. This is the only way to bypass the fan detection."

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Enable-boot-without-fans-on-HP-DL160G6/td-p/6748093

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party, but you may want to look at this thread: 

Its about the mainboard you have. I also have a SE316M1 and am using the mainboard with an ATX power supply and normal 4pin PWM fans, so if you have an futher questions feel free to ask them.

Regarding your question directly, it is possible to boot without fans, you will get warnings though and you will have to skip these by pressing F1 I think. To simulate a fan installed, you will have to supply a PWM signal to the motherboard. Pinout of the fans connector is in the thread I just mentioned.