Need new monitor

Proffecte

Hi.

I'm buying a new computer with an i5-7600k and most likely a gtx 1070 or 1060 6 gb.

I would like a 1440p, 144hz 27" moitor, but my Budget is only about 400 usd, give or take.

What would the cheapest option be?

Also if i'd have to lower the specs of the screen, it would be the hz as i'm mainly concerned with the image quality, and i don't play many video games. (But ofc i'd like to be able to or else i wouldn't buy a 1070)

if you go the gtx1060 route i'm not sure about the utility of 1440p 144hz, in such case you should step back with either 144hz and go 1440p 60hz ips or step back to 1080p 144hz.

even with the gtx1070 it's gonna be limit, 1440p 144hz is absolutely no joke and is solid gtx1080 territory.

23 minutes ago, Proffecte said:

Hi.

I'm buying a new computer with an i5-7600k and most likely a gtx 1070 or 1060 6 gb.

I would like a 1440p, 144hz 27" moitor, but my Budget is only about 400 usd, give or take.

What would the cheapest option be?

Also if i'd have to lower the specs of the screen, it would be the hz as i'm mainly concerned with the image quality, and i don't play many video games. (But ofc i'd like to be able to or else i wouldn't buy a 1070)

I'd suggest to step up in resolution to 4K and go down to the standard 60Hz, to me it's a much better experience. And the 1070 can generally keep up, if you don't just push the hell out of it for no image benefit like many do.

A standard TN 4K panel (samsung) comes very cheap, like half you budget. For 400 you should be able to get a good IPS/PLS/VA panel.

2 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

I'd suggest to step up in resolution to 4K and go down to the standard 60Hz, to me it's a much better experience. And the 1070 can generally keep up, if you don't just push the hell out of it for no image benefit like many do.

A standard TN 4K panel (samsung) comes very cheap, like half you budget. For 400 you should be able to get a good IPS/PLS/VA panel.

this is also a very good idea tho for 4k i guess you'd have to turn down settings on a lot of newer games, even worse with a gtx1060

Just now, Howitz said:

this is also a very good idea tho for 4k i guess you'd have to turn down settings on a lot of newer games.

Well.. it depends. If you don't push MSAAX8, supersampling and such you can always play with maxed textures and shadows on very high/ultra. 

Of course there are situations where it might be less easy to play that, FPS in particular. Everything else you should be fine.

12 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Well.. it depends. If you don't push MSAAX8, supersampling and such you can always play with maxed textures and shadows on very high/ultra. 

Of course there are situations where it might be less easy to play that, FPS in particular. Everything else you should be fine.

you said he could half his budget, in such case i suppose he could put the other half toward a gtx1080 right? and then get 4k 60hz with maxed quality?

or vega 64? he also won't need a better processor for the gtx1080 as it won't get bottlenecked in 4k.

tho i don't think vega is such a great success for amd... =(

8 minutes ago, Howitz said:

you said he could half his budget, in such case i suppose he could put the other half toward a gtx1080 right? and then get 4k 60hz with maxed quality?

or vega 64? he also won't need a better processor for the gtx1080 as it won't get bottlenecked in 4k.

tho i don't think vega is such a great success for amd... =(

Not really, I just mean that he could get it off for 200ish$. Then ofc, if you sell your 1070 and get a 1080 you're really better suited but I would wait, as we're already turning into 2018. There's no need for a new processor for a while.

I don't even consider Vega as an option. You just can't find it, and if you can it's priced just as the 1080 or higher.. so hey? My personal plan was to go for vega since I have a 4K freesync monitor but I decided to skip it.

16 minutes ago, Proffecte said:

cut

You're shooting on your foot then, but anyway:

For CPU + MOTHERBOARD, wait 30 minutes, look for the Z370 + 8400/8600K reviews and prices and choose well what to do. The 7600K isn't that great piece of hardware, even if for 180$ it's a good price. The motherboard you've chosen is an overpriced AF Z270 that I would totally avoid.

I'm still holding to my opinion: go for a 4K60Hz monitor. If you spare some money of your budget, trade your 1070 with these for a 1080.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I've been looking around a bit, and atm I'm looking at the Asus PG279Q and waiting for the 1070Ti. Would this be a good combination?

Some people say that 4k on a 27" display is overkill.

Also I'll be buying the i5-8600K.