RGBW 5050 strips VS cablemod or others

JDMFTW

Has anyone used RGB/W 5050 strips in their pc that supports RGB/W?

Most manufacturers just claim it needs to be 4/5 pin 12v led strips 

I noticed everyone seems to stick with pre made RGB strips when you can get a roll of 5050 RGBW for around 18$ Im aware most motherboards header only allows 2amp outputs.

Is there a reason nobody goes this route?

81iPZba6wyL._SL1500_.jpg

I used a roll for my desk.. not really a fan. Those generally have some garbage remote, and the adhesive blows. I like my Corsair LEDs because they are magnetic and much more durable.

Those rolls are exposed, so touching then can cause colors to change. It's weird. They also get a lot hour than the manufacturers versions.

Main complain, adhesive is total garbage. I had to purchase double sided foam tape to secure it properly.

16 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I used a roll for my desk.. not really a fan. Those generally have some garbage remote, and the adhesive blows. I like my Corsair LEDs because they are magnetic and much more durable.

Those rolls are exposed, so touching then can cause colors to change. It's weird. They also get a lot hour than the manufacturers versions.

Main complain, adhesive is total garbage. I had to purchase double sided foam tape to secure it properly.

I have a roll for my desk also.

The motherboard would control the strip in fact all you use is the strip. I purchased a weather proof unit for my desk so exposure is limited to which version you buy.

1 hour ago, JDMFTW said:

Has anyone used RGB/W 5050 strips in their pc that supports RGB/W?

Most manufacturers just claim it needs to be 4/5 pin 12v led strips 

I noticed everyone seems to stick with pre made RGB strips when you can get a roll of 5050 RGBW for around 18$ Im aware most motherboards header only allows 2amp outputs.

Is there a reason nobody goes this route?

81iPZba6wyL._SL1500_.jpg

I can't comment on others, but I went this way. Mine were allot more money since there professional grade RGB lighting & made in the US. Just be careful when buying yours allot of the Chinese made ones are pure garbage & don't last. You specially have to be careful with the UV strips, Many claim to be UV but there just purple. CableMod has a slight UV to them but there more purple then anything. So far DarkSide is the only true UV among the computer companies that create UV lighting. It's also what Mayhem suggest using if your going to use UV coolant.

As for why people use the pre-made LED's A. They don't know how to solder (There are cables as well for those who can't solder) or B most just buy it when they buy there parts.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

58 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I can't comment on others, but I went this way. Mine were allot more money since there professional grade RGB lighting & made in the US. Just be careful when buying yours allot of the Chinese made ones are pure garbage & don't last. You specially have to be careful with the UV strips, Many claim to be UV but there just purple. CableMod has a slight UV to them but there more purple then anything. So far DarkSide is the only true UV among the computer companies that create UV lighting. It's also what Mayhem suggest using if your going to use UV coolant.

As for why people use the pre-made LED's A. They don't know how to solder (There are cables as well for those who can't solder) or B most just buy it when they buy there parts.

So just buy a quality RGBW and im good lol. I figured it was a lack of know how is why the pre done stuff was the norm. 

You have a link to were you got ahold of your leds?

3 hours ago, JDMFTW said:

So just buy a quality RGBW and im good lol. I figured it was a lack of know how is why the pre done stuff was the norm. 

You have a link to were you got ahold of your leds?

RGB Link: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=NB-RGB-CTvirtualkey66890000virtualkey901-NB-RGB-CT

RGBW Link: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/IRL-RGBW-01/?qs=d6lTzxTPKXWQzL%2bkKcDDag%3d%3d

I personally favor there Ultra Bright Line, However UB series only comes in blue, Pure, Warm & Cool.

@JDMFTW we use the highest quality in our RGB-W and RGB-UV strips - here's photos of our RGB-W in action, as well as our RGB-UV in action with Green on the RGB portion. I think pictures do a great job explaining and showcasing the product. :)

joeyspcyellow.jpg

P1000054.JPG

Did some one say "DIY RGB" strips?

Ive used countless rolls of the generic Ebay 5050 RGB with the controllers.   And like ppl say of course using cheaper stuff will have a drawbacks.

But it also has advantages.

Some of my main mods use this the cheaper product, Generally it's because i need up to 4mtrs  per mod and i there is no way i can justify spending the amount of green needed for 4mtrs just for one light mod.

Ive had a few clusters die (3LEDs in a row of 100) after a few months of using... but to me this is cool.  The 5 min hassle of cutting and soldering in a new cluster far out weighs the initial cost of having to spend $100 dollars.

Ive also used most the common computer and IKEA type brands and have had clusters or single ,which usually results in a cluster fail on those too!!!  

So paying a lot more dosn't mean your immune to a cluster F%CK.

In car headlight and tail light mods i like to use CREE SMD LED's   Unlike a PC you need the guarantee when it comes to your mates cars and their safety.

11 hours ago, Defyant said:

Did some one say "DIY RGB" strips?

Ive used countless rolls of the generic Ebay 5050 RGB with the controllers.   And like ppl say of course using cheaper stuff will have a drawbacks.

But it also has advantages.

Some of my main mods use this the cheaper product, Generally it's because i need up to 4mtrs  per mod and i there is no way i can justify spending the amount of green needed for 4mtrs just for one light mod.

Ive had a few clusters die (3LEDs in a row of 100) after a few months of using... but to me this is cool.  The 5 min hassle of cutting and soldering in a new cluster far out weighs the initial cost of having to spend $100 dollars.

Ive also used most the common computer and IKEA type brands and have had clusters or single ,which usually results in a cluster fail on those too!!!  

So paying a lot more dosn't mean your immune to a cluster F%CK.

In car headlight and tail light mods i like to use CREE SMD LED's   Unlike a PC you need the guarantee when it comes to your mates cars and their safety.

The cheap stuff have more issues then it's worth putting up with & usually don't last. Not to mention the lighting is usually much duller compared to quality lighting. Plus my lighting has a warranty for them and are promised not to fail for x amount of hours (Mine are designed for 100,000 hours).

Like they say you get what you pay for and LED's are well worth the price compared to cheap crap they sell on Ebay.