HP Spectre x360 Black Screen After Login Screen

RacketyMustard

Hello All!

So my friends laptop is an HP Spectre x360 and everytime it boots the computer takes forever to load the desktop screen right after the login screen. So basically I was setting up War Thunder for him and I exited the game no problem and just closed the laptop. I opened it again and windows did an automatic update (which I'm confused about because it should have only been in sleep mode) and once I logged back in again I was greeted with a black screen for about 10 minutes and then the desktop screen finally loaded. I have tried reinstalling GPU drivers from both device manager and GeForce Experience with no luck. I also tried rolling back to the version of windows he had installed before this latest automatic update occurred and I still had no luck. Also during the black screen I can still do Ctrl + Alt + Delete and that comes up fine and I can open task manager and open the file explorer and successfully open anything that I can find on his hard drive. Windows explorer (aka explorer.exe) also gives me a "restart" option when I am in task manager while it is black screened, and whenever I tried that restart nothing happened until I just waited for the desktop / explorer.exe to kick in. I also tried the windows key + e which is supposed to open explorer.exe and I tried manually opening explorer.exe through task manager and that also didn't work. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7500U

RAM: 16GB DDR4-2133MHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 940mx

Storage: 512GB SSD

When the screen is black but you can Cntl Alt Delete what is the CPU utilization? If it's high what's using the most of it?

Is the OS from factory or did you install the OS?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When the screen is black but you can Cntl Alt Delete what is the CPU utilization? If it's high what's using the most of it?

Is the OS from factory or did you install the OS?

@Windows7ge Its at 0% almost the entire time with very occasional spikes, like the normal amount of spikes you would expect and the OS is factory. I'm also completely resetting the whole PC and completely reinstalling Windows so hopefully that fixes it

Well, I had the same problem where whenever I booted up windows, the screen would go black, then it would take ages to load back to the desktop screen. So after lots of troubleshooting, I reinstalled the operating system and everything worked fine after that. I also disabled windows updates to prevent it from doing anymore updates. Ever since I had performed these troubleshooting steps, my PC hasnt slowed down and the black screen problem has also been prevented.

16 minutes ago, RacketyMustard said:

@Windows7ge Its at 0% almost the entire time with very occasional spikes, like the normal amount of spikes you would expect and the OS is factory. I'm also completely resetting the whole PC and completely reinstalling Windows so hopefully that fixes it

I was going to say if it's factory then it's probably full of bloatware but if CPU utilization isn't high at all then I suspect some sort of driver or other software conflict is bugging out the system.

In situations like these I usually just dump the OS and install fresh. Not always an easy option for people so I didn't expect you to respond with what I'd do myself.

59bb672ea73e5_Windowsupdates(disabled).PNG.fbcb84106a60a755c1929ce8b19d7862.PNG59bb673dbcb39_Windowsupdatesstartuptype.PNG.77d2053b4076b632ae9e16da388c1d64.PNG

If you want to prevent windows updates when you boot your PC, then this is how to do it.

1. Control panel

2. system and security

3. Administrative tools

4. Click on services located in the folder

5. Double click on windows updates

6. Then, change the startup type to "Disabled"

7. Then click apply

This should prevent windows from installing updates when you boot up your PC.

5 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

59bb672ea73e5_Windowsupdates(disabled).PNG.fbcb84106a60a755c1929ce8b19d7862.PNG59bb673dbcb39_Windowsupdatesstartuptype.PNG.77d2053b4076b632ae9e16da388c1d64.PNG

If you want to prevent windows updates when you boot your PC, then this is how to do it.

1. Control panel

2. system and security

3. Administrative tools

4. Click on services located in the folder

5. Double click on windows updates

6. Then, change the startup type to "Disabled"

7. Then click apply

This should prevent windows from installing updates when you boot up your PC.

Awesome thank you both @TheBeastPCand @Windows7ge I'm in the process of reinstalling windows so that'll take some time and ill disable the updates as well. If it doesn't work by the time I get to the computer in the morning (letting it do its thing and reinstall windows while I sleep lol) ill be back to ask more questions and ill let you guys know if it works tomorrow too. Thanks again!