HOW TO FLASH YOUR ANDROID PHONE

HOW TO FLASH YOUR ANDROID PHONE

Theoretically, this guide should be backwards compatible with any phone. You'd just need different files, and different key combos to get into fastboot mode. For this guide we'll be updating a Google Pixel to Android 8.0 (Oreo).

Also below will be some minor troubleshooting info in case you run into an issue like I had.

animation-play-protect.gif

WARNING: Before you update, if you're not familiar with image flashing or unlocking the bootloader ensure you're at least comfortable with the steps below. It's not a simple system update(as you're probably aware) and you'll really have to understand how to navigate with CMD prompt to accomplish the update.  Here's a very brief rundown of what you need to do to unlock the bootloader and update

(DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I AM NOT AT FAULT IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE)

Googles update guide hasn't been changed in a while so some of their instructions are incorrect. This is how I, personally, updated my phone,

This guide is current as of 8/23/17

PART 1: UNLOCK THE BOOT LOADER

NOTE: When typing the commands, like "fastboot devices" DON'T TYPE the quotation marks, just type the words.

NOTE: This will not work if you have a service provider locked phone, like a Verizon pixel. There are methods to unlocking those phones (Only older models from what I've read) but because I don't own one, I won't be discussing it here.

Download the SDK platform tools from the Android Developer site(This is mandatory)

SDK platform tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

1. Unzip the platform tools to the desktop.

2. Open CMD prompt and type "cd desktop" Press enter, now you're in the desktop.

3. Now type "platform-tools" (This is the name of the SDK platform tools file after the unzip) Press enter and now you're in the platform-tools folder

4. Now turn your phone off, then hold the volume down button and then the power button simultaneously to launch into fastboot, plug it into the computer (These combos differ from phone to phone).

5. Now type "fastboot devices" (This will tell you if your device is detected) Press enter and your device should pop up, it'll say something like "FA6982894" as the device name

6. Now type "fastboot flashing unlock"  (unsure if this will be the same for every phone) Press enter, go to your phone and use the volume buttons to navigate to "yes" then press the power button to select "yes".

Now the bootloader is unlocked.

Part 2: UPDATING

Android 8 update files: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/download.html

Doesn't have to be Android 8.0. This should be backwards compatible with any phone and the steps below will work with any Pixel phone if you're trying to put on a custom OS or an older OS version.

1. To update, download the Android 8.0 update from the link for your phone, unzip it to the desktop. Then, copy and paste everything from the platform-tools folder into the android 8.0 folder

2. To go back to the desktop type "cd.." (in the CMD prompt)

3. Here's the tricky part, check the name of your Android 8.0 file, their names are all different. For instance, my file name was sailfish-opr6.170623.011 So, Type cd [Name of your Android 8.0 file] Press enter and now you're in the update file,

4. Finally, ensure your phone is plugged into the computer (SECURELY) and type "flash-all"  (This may also differ, ultimately what you want to do is activate the .bat file that's in the folder. For this update the .bat file was called flash-all.bat)

5. Press enter and do NOT touch the phone whatsoever. It took me about 5 minutes, in total, for the update to finish. Don't unplug it under any circumstances.

6. (OPTIONAL) Now that it's updated you can lock the bootloader using the same steps you used to unlock it, but this time you'll want to type flashing lock instead of flashing unlock

You're now rocking Android 8.0 OREO (or whatever else you successfully loaded to your phone :))

TROUBLESHOOTING

Stuck booting? Did you accidentally disconnect it? Did it disconnect itself? Were you confused and thought the update had ended, then pulled it out prematurely? Here's how to fix it.

If you're phone is stuck on, wait for it to die.

After it's dead, plug it into the wall and turn it on,

If it's not booting up properly after plugging it into the wall, follow these steps(Obviously let it die again):

Plug it into the computer and turn it on using the fastboot method (For a Pixel, hold the volume down button and then hold the power button at the same time).

Lock the bootloader, and then try to boot normally. If the issue persists perform the following,

Unlock the boot loader again

Start the update once more using the steps listed in part 2

Hopefully your phone should be functioning properly once the update is complete but I must stress, DO NOT TOUCH THE PHONE UNTIL 5-8 MINUTES HAVE PASSED.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

please fix for night theme users as we can only read the colored parts of this.

as for flashing a phone, most phones are going to be slightly different, and following the incorrect instructions for you phone, or flashing the incorrect update, WILL brick your device.

as for upgrading from Android 7.0 to Android 8.0, when the update is available from your manufacturer, just hit 'update' on your phone, and it will update it without the risk of bricking it, and without needing to void your warranty.

just wait for the update from your manufacturer

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

please fix for night theme users as we can only read the colored parts of this.

as for flashing a phone, most phones are going to be slightly different, and following the incorrect instructions for you phone, or flashing the incorrect update, WILL brick your device.

as for upgrading from Android 7.0 to Android 8.0, when the update is available from your manufacturer, just hit 'update' on your phone, and it will update it without the risk of bricking it, and without needing to void your warranty.

just wait for the update from your manufacturer

I agree you are not describing the steps and even if you do its different by the manufacturer to manufacturer os version of Linux kernel whether or not the firmware is locked and lots more. I get that you're trying to make a guide but this is targeted to noobs and this guide will break their device plus if you want a guide for a specific device search it on xda-developers or android central or android authority and you will find everything about the device there

13 minutes ago, ACEHACK said:

-snip-

20 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

-snip-

Not to be rude in any way, but did you folks read my notes? I never said this was the golden standard. I also stated that it SHOULD be backwards compatible. Never once did I say it absolutely is. I also made several mentions of where the steps should differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. This is what I did and I had no problems with it. It won't break their devices and the guides listed by google are ineffective at best. 

To address Tsuki specifically here, this won't void your warranty. I am very aware of the warranty and I know that, without a doubt, you can't void the warranty by unlocking the boot loader. There are countless articles on it. Also, what's the relevance of the "Wrong" update? I'm not giving them specific files. I even said that they should provide the files they need. 

To address ACEHACK. I went step by step telling you what each step did. I'm telling you what to type and where. It's simple CMD Prompt lines, there's not much else to tell. 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

I'm not responsible and my guide isn't incorrect if people are dumb enough to look for, then use the wrong files. Nor am I responsible for them using my guide incorrectly, going AGAINST what the manufacturer dictates, especially when I tell them where there will be inconsistencies based on the manufacturer. 

The Louvre

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

Not to be rude in any way, but did you folks read my notes? I never said this was the golden standard. I also stated that it SHOULD be backwards compatible. Never once did I say it absolutely is. I also made several mentions of where the steps should differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. This is what I did and I had no problems with it. It won't break their devices and the guides listed by google are ineffective at best. 

To address Tsuki specifically here, this won't void your warranty. I am very aware of the warranty and I know that, without a doubt, you can't void the warranty by unlocking the boot loader. There are countless articles on it. Also, what's the relevance of the "Wrong" update? I'm not giving them specific files. I even said that they should provide the files they need. 

To address ACEHACK. I went step by step telling you what each step did. I'm telling you what to type and where. It's simple CMD Prompt lines, there's not much else to tell. 

to be honest, i only read the parts that were in color, the rest was invisible until paul fixed it.

even saying "should" be backwards compatible is a stretch when its very obviously not. the relevance of the "wrong" update, is that verizon and tmobile for example, both run slightly different versions of the update, as they have different hardware, even on the same device, if you flash the verizon update onto your tmobile phone, its bricked.  and your warrenty does not cover bricking your device like this. if you hit "update" through settings and it gets bricked, then yea its covered, but unlocking the bootloader and flashing it manually, is not.

and my comment wasnt directed at you, it was at people who might consider following this guide. if they try to follow it, and dont know what they are doing, they need to find an actual detailed guide for their phone specifically and not look at any of this at all.

and if they do know what they are doing, then they will have already found a real guide.

my point stands, if you actually need this guide, then wait for the official update from your phones automatic update.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

to be honest, i only read the parts that were in color, the rest was invisible until paul fixed it.

even saying "should" be backwards compatible is a stretch when its very obviously not. the relevance of the "wrong" update, is that verizon and tmobile for example, both run slightly different versions of the update, as they have different hardware, even on the same device, if you flash the verizon update onto your tmobile phone, its bricked.  and your warrenty does not cover bricking your device like this. if you hit "update" through settings and it gets bricked, then yea its covered, but unlocking the bootloader and flashing it manually, is not.

and my comment wasnt directed at you, it was at people who might consider following this guide. if they try to follow it, and dont know what they are doing, they need to find an actual detailed guide for their phone specifically and not look at any of this at all.

and if they do know what they are doing, then they will have already found a real guide.

my point stands, if you actually need this guide, then wait for the official update from your phones automatic update.

Those "different versions" are properly labeled and listed.  You can't even update the Verizon versions, which I also noted in the guide. Again, you would have to be absolutely brain dead because the update BLATANTLY SAYS what service provider it's for.

This guide is absolutely fine, I've never had an issue with the multiple times I've flashed my Pixel. Saying "Should" isn't a stretch because this IS android after all and the only REAL differences lie in the phones respective launchers and the software in their updates. This guide is for people who are confused about what to do, there's not a problem with it. I don't understand how it doesn't work. I said this is for a manual FLASH, I didn't say "Oh you should do this instead of updating".  Technically, they're REQUIRED by law to honor the warranty even if it's bricked. Again, read the countless articles about it.  Again, not being rude here just stating fact.

The Louvre

23 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Technically, they're REQUIRED by law to honor the warranty even if it's bricked. Again, read the countless articles about it.  Again, not being rude here just stating fact.

no, they are not.

and you are wrong. they can void your warranty if you brick the phone by doing a nonstandard and unsupported update process.

from samsungs warranty

"defects or damage resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by SAMSUNG, including but not limited to installation of unauthorized software and unauthorized root access, both of which shall void this limited warranty "

if you brick it this way, it WILL void you warranty, at their discretion.  any "laws" will not save you.

|Specs in profile|

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

no, they are not.

and you are wrong. they can void your warranty if you brick the phone by doing a nonstandard and unsupported update process.

from samsungs warranty

if you brick it this way, it WILL void you warranty, at their discretion.  any "laws" will not save you.

Uh...You just proved my point? I never said that rooting was against the warranty...Also, Consumer Protection Laws tell us that if you brought Samsung to court over it, Samsung would be in the wrong since you're not really allowed to void a warranty, hell Linus did a video on it.  How in the world is installing AUTHORIZED software using AUTHORIZED access against a warranty.

Also, http://prntscr.com/gcbbr5 like I said. It's carrier specified. 

The Louvre

8 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

no, they are not.

from samsungs warranty

This isn't non-standard. This is just how you flash the bloody phone. If this isn't how you do it, then WHY does it work.

The Louvre

10 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Uh...You just proved my point? I never said that rooting was against the warranty...Also, Consumer Protection Laws tell us that if you brought Samsung to court over it, Samsung would be in the wrong since you're not really allowed to void a warranty, hell Linus did a video on it.  How in the world is installing AUTHORIZED software using AUTHORIZED access against a warranty.

Also, http://prntscr.com/gcbbr5 like I said. It's carrier specified. 

"including but not limited to" that means that rooting voids it, but so does other stuff.

" damage resulting from improper...installation "   that means that if you flashed it on there yourself, and you bricked it, then your warranty is void. you cannot argue that and actually think that you're right. your not.

and if you think that downloading a rom from a website that doesnt belong to the manufacturer, regardless of whether or not it says it works for your device, is considered "authorized" then you need a fucking reality check.

and for the record, in no way am i saying "dont update your phone like this",  all im saying is, dont fuck it up, and if you think you might, wait for the official update

|Specs in profile|

Just now, Tsuki said:

"including but not limited to" that means that rooting voids it, but so does other stuff.

" damage resulting from improper...installation "   that means that if you flashed it on there yourself, and you bricked it, then your warranty is void. you cannot argue that and actually think that you're right. your not.

and if you think that downloading a rom from a website that doesnt belong to the manufacturer, regardless of whether or not it says it works for your device, is considered "authorized" then you need a fucking reality check.

Sigh. First of all, this is for the Pixel so it IS from the manufacturer dumbass,

Second, why did you bold "installation" what really should be bolded is "improper" because this isn't improper

Third, it absolutely can be argued BY LAW and no it doesn't say anything about flashing an authorized update

Fourth, The fuck are you talking about? At what point did I EVER say to use the link I provided for any phone or to get your updates from a website that's not the manufacturers or supported by the manufacturer.

You didn't read the entire fucking guide I wrote, you continue to make misconceptions and everything you claim doesn't make any sense because it's either addressed IN THE GUIDE or it's disproven by simple fact. Like the argument about the fucking service provider, it's written RIGHT THERE.

The Louvre

4 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Sigh. First of all, this is for the Pixel so it IS from the manufacturer dumbass,

Second, why did you bold "installation" what really should be bolded is "improper" because this isn't improper

Third, it absolutely can be argued BY LAW and no it doesn't say anything about flashing an authorized update

Fourth, The fuck are you talking about? At what point did I EVER say to use the link I provided for any phone or to get your updates from a website that's not the manufacturers or supported by the manufacturer.

You didn't read the entire fucking guide I wrote, you continue to make misconceptions and everything you claim doesn't make any sense because it's either addressed IN THE GUIDE or it's disproven by simple fact. Like the argument about the fucking service provider, it's written RIGHT THERE.

first, you linked the android developer website, not Pixels, so no its not from the manufacturer website.

second, i bolded installation, because that what this is. its the installation of a new operating system. and in this usage, "improper" means "you did it wrong"

third, you're right, it can be taken to court and argued in court. one of 2 things are going to happen. you're either going to get buried in arbitration, or samsung is going to send you a new phone. this will take at least 6 months to happen, feel free to wait.

fourth, see first.

i did read the entire guide. im not making misconceptions, and you did address some of them. but nothing is "disproven by fact" this WILL void your warranty(if you actually read it you'd know) and while yes you can go to court over it, that doesnt change that fact.

The guide is well written, very much so.  and like i said, my initial comment was not directed at you. it was simply informing people that if they fuck this up, it will void their warranty and to consider waiting for the official update through their phone. which for 90% of the users on this forum, thats the right answer.

take your inflated ego elsewhere and dont get so butthurt over somebody suggesting an alternate way to update their phone.

my initial comment wasnt even rude, you're the one who got super defensive and started being a prick about the whole thing.

|Specs in profile|

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

first, you linked the android developer website, not Pixels, so no its not from the manufacturer website.

second, i bolded installation, because that what this is. its the installation of a new operating system. and in this usage, "improper" means "you did it wrong"

third, you're right, it can be taken to court and argued in court. one of 2 things are going to happen. you're either going to get buried in arbitration, or samsung is going to send you a new phone. this will take at least 6 months to happen, feel free to wait.

fourth, see first.

i did read the entire guide. im not making misconceptions, and you did address some of them. but nothing is "disproven by fact" this WILL void your warranty(if you actually read it you'd know) and while yes you can go to court over it, that doesnt change that fact.

The guide is well written, very much so.  and like i said, my initial comment was not directed at you. it was simply informing people that if they fuck this up, it will void their warranty and to consider waiting for the official update through their phone. which for 90% of the users on this forum, thats the right answer.

take your inflated ego elsewhere and dont get so butthurt over somebody suggesting an alternate way to update their phone.

my initial comment wasnt even rude, you're the one who got super defensive and started being a prick about the whole thing.

Android 8.0 was released for the Pixel/Other Google devices, the website I linked was the official source for it. It is supported.

Improper does mean you did it wrong, but again this guide shows you how to properly FLASH your phone. It does not tell you to flash it instead of doing an update.

If you're flashing your phone it is for a specific reason, perhaps you need to go back to an older version, you want to get a newer version etc..  Anybody that flashes their phone is doing it for a very specific reason. It's not like some Mom is gonna stumble across my guide for flashing your phone and do it, you don't just stumble across these guides unless you want to flash your phone.  To reiterate, you don't look to or flash a phone unless you have a reason and I put warnings on the guide. I am not responsible so bringing that up when people are already aware of the consequences is, not to be offensive, redundant.

People, like myself, purchased the Pixel to have 2 things. #1 have a stock experience, #2 get in bed with the Google/Android ecosystem. This means we want to get these updates first, which we do, and we want to perform them. As I stated previously, the guide says how to flash your phone, it does not suggest that you should be doing it instead of waiting for the update. Again, if you're going to read how to flash your phone it's because you want/need to for your own reasons. When I went to locate guides, they were mostly out of date and used the wrong command lines.  Some of them don't work anymore or are very vague.  On the website there are multiple mistakes, one of them is running ADB tools through the command line which you don't need to do (and this is on the dev site).  This is a current guide and it's the same method I've used when I've run into problems on my device.

The Louvre