Gt 940mx ddr3 vs gddr5

SkylakeAlex6700k

I'm looking at laptops and would like to know how much better the 940mx with gddr5 would be.

Don't get a 940mx laptop, the MX150 is out and it's so much better it makes the 940 irrelevant 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

At least get a 1050 or 1050TI if you want to play games.  The old 900 series laptop cards aren't great, (I have a 960M and it sucks too).

13 minutes ago, SkylakeAlex6700k said:

I'm looking at laptops and would like to know how much better the 940mx with gddr5 would be.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940MX.156033.0.html

The Nvidia GeForce 940MX is a mid-range laptop graphics card with DirectX 12 support (FL 11_0). It has been announced in the first quarter of 2016 and is the refresh of the GeForce 940M. Compared to the older card, the new one is based on the same chip but now supports faster GDDR5. Therefore, it is similar to the Maxwell GPU in the Microsoft Surface Book but with more memory and higher clock speeds. However, most notebook vendors will use the slower DDR3 version of the 940MX that clocks only a few percent faster than the old GeForce 940M (1122 versus 1072 MHz base clock e.g.). 

For the GDDR5 version of the 940MX there appears to be also a variant with the GM107-B chip with 512 shaders instead of the 384 but lower clock speeds. The 940MX in the Acer Aspire E5-774G e.g. featured 512 shader cores (GM107) clocked at 795 - 861 MHz. The Dell Inspiron 17 7778 version however had the GM108 chip with 384 shaders clocked at 1083 - 1189 MHz.

The performance greatly depends on the used graphics memory and chip. According to our benchmarks (see below), the DDR3 version is very similar to the old 940M (due to only minor increased clock rates). The GDDR5 version however pushes ahead 20% (even 30% if paired with a fast desktop quad-core, but we lack 940M reference scores). Therefore, demanding games from 2015 should run fluently in low to medium settings and WXGA resolution. 

The TDP of the card should be rated at about 15 to 30 Watt (depending on the version, clock speeds and memory). Therefore, the GPU is best suited for laptops from 13-inch and up.

Photography / Finance / Gaming

TLDR if youre shopping for a new laptop for light gaming

dont get one with the old 9XX series gpus

Photography / Finance / Gaming

29 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Don't get a 940mx laptop, the MX150 is out and it's so much better it makes the 940 irrelevant 

I'm not sure my $550 budget can allow an mx150 Laptop. Any chance you know of a mx150 laptop within my budget?

20 minutes ago, mok said:

TLDR if youre shopping for a new laptop for light gaming

dont get one with the old 9XX series gpus

What laptop would you suggest for light gaming then?

Thanks