List an old, lesser known, retro game that's kind of bad but has charm.

Just for fun.

List something funny that no one has probably ever heard of.

I'll start with "down under dan".

It's kind of terrible, the accents are super stereotypical, it starts out with a horrible button mashing sequence, but once you get past all that.. it's actually really fun.

Sort of like an old sierra game like space quest but with some RPG elements.

Lost Eden (1995)

Available on GOG.com

• One of the first FMV games made.
  • Hilariously bad voice acting at times,
  • People with questionable clothing
  • AWESOME soundtrack

"cheesy, but charming"

Edited by Changis
added link to game

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

G-Darius, PS1, fantastic game i rediscovered recently after playing with retropie

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Skate or die on NES, played tons of hours in my childhood, loved it, but if you look at it, it's far from being that great, and it wasn't that popular

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

55 minutes ago, Changis said:

Lost Eden (1995)

• One of the first FMV games made.
  • Hilariously bad voice acting at times,
  • People with questionable clothing
  • AWESOME soundtrack

"cheesy, but charming"

I might actually play this :)

Oh, I thought of another one:

Rex Nebulator and the Cosmic Gender Bender

That one isn't that rare though. You can actually buy it on GOG.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. A source 2 engine game that was so buggy even today you need a community patch to even get some of the quests and things to work. Seriously the tech issues here would push any other game not just to kinda bad but to dreadful.

However this is a proper RPG: Some of the role playing choices here have profound choices: The stealth character is so ugly you can't even get around the town map without aggro (you have to use the sewers to get in stores and such) The NPCs react to each type of character different and the crazy character literally changes every single line of player dialogue in the game to uniquely reflect how batshit insane you are.

Not only that but there's so much variety: One moment you're just doing regular combat missions for someone then you're uncovering a snuff film ring, then you get sent to a haunted mansion and the game puts on a sequence worthy of a full blown horror game, it just goes on and on. Might be the best computer RPG out there when it comes to mechanics and such but again: don't expect smooth sailing the bugs are extremely annoying and I wouldn't touch it without the community patch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. A source 2 engine game that was so buggy even today you need a community patch to even get some of the quests and things to work. Seriously the tech issues here would push any other game not just to kinda bad but to dreadful.

However this is a proper RPG: Some of the role playing choices here have profound choices: The stealth character is so ugly you can't even get around the town map without aggro (you have to use the sewers to get in stores and such) The NPCs react to each type of character different and the crazy character literally changes every single line of player dialogue in the game to uniquely reflect how batshit insane you are.

Not only that but there's so much variety: One moment you're just doing regular combat missions for someone then you're uncovering a snuff film ring, then you get sent to a haunted mansion and the game puts on a sequence worthy of a full blown horror game, it just goes on and on. Might be the best computer RPG out there when it comes to mechanics and such but again: don't expect smooth sailing the bugs are extremely annoying and I wouldn't touch it without the community patch.

With a game at that level of buggyness

I usually install it in a virtual machine with whatever version of windows it was made for.

This almost always works except with some early 3d games where there's no real direct3d support in the VM for it like "The new adventures of the time machine".

Never got that one working. Might work with different hardware though. Could give it another go on some other computers I guess...

but even games that had this weird issue where the screen turns into a flat single line across your screen when you boot the game even in windows xp or windows 7, running the game in a windows 95 virtual machine made it run buttery smooth other than sometimes running a bit too fast with the game time in games.

Replying to a comment made me think of a really cool hidden gem:

Biosys 

Like, holy shit this game was different. 

You were in a series of biodomes trying to survive..

You actually had to control everything in the biodomes too. It was extremely technical and hard.

it was a survival game combined with a point and click adventure game...

which is starting to happen again now like with Kona so that kind of makes it way ahead of it's time.

I had to install it in windows 95 built into a virtual machine to get it to work though.

It's hit a miss whether or not it works without having to do that with your hardware.

The game time runs a bit fast on modern computers too it seems.

VM's don't fix that.

Still, I recommend finding a copy if you can because it was really neat.

ThemeHospital:

Its not that buggy, its just DAMN Fing HARD.. man this game steps it up so much and with it so dead there is little to no info online from guys what worked and what didn't work for them. Love it though and the only reason I'll ever have origin installed on my PC. 

RollerCoaster Tycoon 1:

I havent got around to 2 yet, but am working through every single level and loving it, been playing it for years since I got the original CD's with expansions back in 2004 at a school fate sale thing. Got it on Steam and still love the Shit out of it. Although I now have all my saves in OneDrive a couple seconds before the level finishes so everytime I do a Format reinstall on windows I don't have to replay all the same levels again. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333