Set frontier router QoS settings

RGProductions

So, I'm fed up with 200 ping. My sister is always on netfix, and it tries to stream in 4k, and takes up are whole bandwidth, leaving Cs none. I want to change my QoS settings in my frontier router to gvie my PC priority over the TV so CS is happy at 20 ping and the TV streams at 1080p, using only 1/2 of our 15/5 connection. How do I go about doing this? the menu is more advanced than the ones from all the online tutorials.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Is your PC connected via WiFi or Ethernet? Also, is it only your sister and you that use the internet or is there more people?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Is your PC connected via WiFi or Ethernet? Also, is it only your sister and you that use the internet or is there more people?

Ethernet. There are a few phones and my mom's PC, but I would say they use less than 2 megabits per second total. The problem is, streaming on the tv takes priority over gaming on my PC.

14 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Ethernet. There are a few phones and my mom's PC, but I would say they use less than 2 megabits per second total. The problem is, streaming on the tv takes priority over gaming on my PC.

I see. Well only option is to upgrade to higher speeds. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I see. Well only option is to upgrade to higher speeds. :) 

Sadly I agree. This sucks, when we had a 720p streaming setup bandwith was fine, but now that it tried 4k it wont work. I think I'll have to like with 15/5 for another 3 years sadly.

7 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Sadly I agree. This sucks, when we had a 720p streaming setup bandwith was fine, but now that it tried 4k it wont work. I think I'll have to like with 15/5 for another 3 years sadly.

Go in to the Netflix settings and change the Playback settings. That should prevent it from using 4K. Also, I was poking around the DDWRT Firmware I have on my router. In the QoS options you can priorities different services. Though I have not attempted to use this feature, so Im not sure how good it works. I just use the basic QoS options and it seemed to reduce my buffer bloat down to almost zero and helped me get better video playback. But, Im on the 75/10 connection, so I get plenty of speed. QoS options by design will kill speed. It sorta holds the extra bandwidth in reserve for when you need it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

you dont need to do that. The less users and apps to manage the simpler the QoS can be. Simply set your games for a higher priority and set streaming to lower priority. This will solve your issue.

If priority is not available, reserve yourself some bandwidth. This makes sure that you will always get the bandwidth you need for your game but this may not help with latency. Priority helps ensure latency, games are latency sensitive usually. Streaming is not latency sensitive but bandwidth sensitive.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Go in to the Netflix settings and change the Playback settings. That should prevent it from using 4K. Also, I was poking around the DDWRT Firmware I have on my router. In the QoS options you can priorities different services. Though I have not attempted to use this feature, so Im not sure how good it works. I just use the basic QoS options and it seemed to reduce my buffer bloat down to almost zero and helped me get better video playback. But, Im on the 75/10 connection, so I get plenty of speed. QoS options by design will kill speed. It sorta holds the extra bandwidth in reserve for when you need it. 

That sounds like a good deal with stream quality, let's hope it works. This router doesn't use ddwrt firmware though?

1 hour ago, System Error Message said:

you dont need to do that. The less users and apps to manage the simpler the QoS can be. Simply set your games for a higher priority and set streaming to lower priority. This will solve your issue.

If priority is not available, reserve yourself some bandwidth. This makes sure that you will always get the bandwidth you need for your game but this may not help with latency. Priority helps ensure latency, games are latency sensitive usually. Streaming is not latency sensitive but bandwidth sensitive.

The problem is, even after mucking around in settings for an hour I can't find either option. The priority is what I want, but it doesn't seem to be in there.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

The problem is, even after mucking around in settings for an hour I can't find either option. The priority is what I want, but it doesn't seem to be in there.

yeah i dont know what brand or model the frontier router is . I do know that many consumer routers offer some basic form of qos. I suggest looking at brands like netgear, asus, tp link. 

I would not count on ISP given routers to include QoS.

5 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

That sounds like a good deal with stream quality, let's hope it works. This router doesn't use ddwrt firmware though?

Then your screwed. Most stock firmware is shit, unless your talking about something like a Ubiquiti router or a PFsense box. DDWRT and other 3rd party firmware offers business class features for a $0 price tag. The only issue is limited capability. Also, there are certain features in DDWRT that can get you in trouble. For instance you can increase the broadcast power of your WiFI. Anything over the LEGAL limit set by the FCC can get guys in black suits knocking on your door. Because of this, some router makers I think TPLink is one of them, build their routers so they are not compatible with DDWRT. 

7 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

yeah i dont know what brand or model the frontier router is . I do know that many consumer routers offer some basic form of qos. I suggest looking at brands like netgear, asus, tp link. 

I would not count on ISP given routers to include QoS.

Yeah, it's there but it's stupidly compicated.

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Then your screwed. Most stock firmware is shit, unless your talking about something like a Ubiquiti router or a PFsense box. DDWRT and other 3rd party firmware offers business class features for a $0 price tag. The only issue is limited capability. Also, there are certain features in DDWRT that can get you in trouble. For instance you can increase the broadcast power of your WiFI. Anything over the LEGAL limit set by the FCC can get guys in black suits knocking on your door. Because of this, some router makers I think TPLink is one of them, build their routers so they are not compatible with DDWRT. 

Oh well, this is a isp provided setup. I'm honestly about ready to give up on this, and online gaming in general.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Oh well, this is a isp provided setup. I'm honestly about ready to give up on this, and online gaming in general.

if QoS is not on the router simply get another that does have it. There is no easy answer for QoS. Some routers have QoS profiles. ASUS for instance have their auto QoS gaming focused which is good for you if you dont have the skills needed to configure QoS.

24 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

if QoS is not on the router simply get another that does have it. There is no easy answer for QoS. Some routers have QoS profiles. ASUS for instance have their auto QoS gaming focused which is good for you if you dont have the skills needed to configure QoS.

I wish I could, but I can't really buy anything right now. 

6 hours ago, RGProductions said:

I wish I could, but I can't really buy anything right now. 

All you can hopeful that who ever takes over Frontiers Network when they implode, because they are about to implode, as they were nearly delisted from the Nasdaq a few weeks ago. Hopeful the new provider will do upgrades. Thats if any one picks up the assets when they file for bankruptcy. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

All you can hopeful that who ever takes over Frontiers Network when they implode, because they are about to implode, as they were nearly delisted from the Nasdaq a few weeks ago. Hopeful the new provider will do upgrades. Thats if any one picks up the assets when they file for bankruptcy. 

I could get 2 gigabit up and down where I live. I just can't afford it.

Just now, RGProductions said:

I could get 2 gigabit up and down where I live. I just can't afford it.

Comcast? I know Comcast does that for $1000 for the install and $299 a month with the 3 year commitment. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast? I know Comcast does that for $1000 for the install and $299 a month with the 3 year commitment. 

Yep! Minus the contract. 

11 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Yep! Minus the contract. 

In order to get that service you have to be within 1/3 mile of a fiber node. Why the hell are you subbed to shitty DSL? Comcast should be close. Do they not offer service at your address? 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

In order to get that service you have to be within 1/3 mile of a fiber node. Why the hell are you subbed to shitty DSL? Comcast should be close. Do they not offer service at your address? 

I don't have dsl! Just really shitty cable. They offer it at my house! But $50 a month after all contracts and taxes, and the only thing I could get is 15/5, pushing to speed a few $ more for 100/25

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

I don't have dsl! Just really shitty cable. They offer it at my house! But $50 a month after all contracts and taxes, and the only thing I could get is 15/5, pushing to speed a few $ more for 100/25

Frontier offers DSL and FIOS (Fiber). Because Frontier has purchased most of the unwanted markets from Verizon and AT&T. Also, Comcast has a much better network. While they are not deploying it yet in my area. They will be offering Gigabit speeds via Coax in the future with Docsis 3.1. Not all cable providers are doing this. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Frontier offers DSL and FIOS (Fiber). Because Frontier has purchased most of the unwanted markets from Verizon and AT&T. Also, Comcast has a much better network. While they are not deploying it yet in my area. They will be offering Gigabit speeds via Coax in the future with Docsis 3.1. Not all cable providers are doing this. 

This definitely isn't fiber. I believe it's an old grandfathered in system, it's several years old.

Just now, RGProductions said:

This definitely isn't fiber. I believe it's an old grandfathered in system, it's several years old.

I just looked again. They did buy a Cable Company way back in the day like in the early 1990s. Seems they didnt upgrade the cable system much. Dont expect them too, they can barely keep the FIOS service they got from the Verizon sales working. Im waiting for them to go out of business and for some other stupid shit provider to buy up the assets. 

One thing I failed to mention about Comcast, they have a 1 TB cap, in select areas (areas they have a monopoly, They charge $50/month  to not be capped). Not sure about Frontier. If not, then thats the only good quality about them. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I just looked again. They did buy a Cable Company way back in the day like in the early 1990s. Seems they didnt upgrade the cable system much. Dont expect them too, they can barely keep the FIOS service they got from the Verizon sales working. Im waiting for them to go out of business and for some other stupid shit provider to buy up the assets. 

One thing I failed to mention about Comcast, they have a 1 TB cap, in select areas (areas they have a monopoly, They charge $50/month  to not be capped). Not sure about Frontier. If not, then thats the only good quality about them. 

They don't even offer 15/5 anymore. Their prices are nutty though, we could afford 50/50 for not much more once all fees are added in