Should I worry about the 1 star reviews on amazon?

SolidRedIron

I am looking at the product on the list of the parts that people have made on my posts (thanks you guys) and look for the parts on Amazon.  I start by reading the 1 star reviews and they start scaring me away from the product.  The 5 and 4 star ones could be from the people that just got it and haven't seen any issues or are too enthusiastic about the product.  Should I be worried about those one star reviews?  Should I order it, cross my fingers, and hope that the product comes as good as those 5 and 4 star reviews say they are, or chose based on the company's reputation rather than the reviews?

there wll always be worse 1 star because f you et a product t doset work you waa tell people 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

what product specifically, can you link us to the amazon page?

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

just make sure to ignore the one star reviews where the person is just stupid and doing it wrong.

"this processor is crap, it didnt fit in my motherboard because i didnt do any research whatsoever about the product i was buying or even bother to read the product page where is explicitly said it wouldnt work!   1 star!"

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

You have to take into account what was the issue they had with those 1 star reviews, I read them when I'm researching a product and often see that the problem was not a real problem, and the issue was the user that had unrealistic expectations or just didn't understand what was buying.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Depends, if the overall is 4 or 5 stars it should be fine. There will always be at least 1 one star review and its sometimes people being dumb.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Just now, MysticalRainXIV said:

what product specifically, can you link us to the amazon page?

Well it's all of the product in general,the one on the Rosewill Micro ATX say that it didn't last very long, cheaply made,and poorly designed. (https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B072F29JP4/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0)

While the one on the HP Pavilion 22 csw says that the monitor is unreliable and the base is poorly made. (https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B015WCV70W/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0)

So I don't know what to do.

For those prices it really comes down to you get what you pay for..

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

Stay away from this case unless you are willing to modify it to make it work. The metal parts are touching the mobo in so many places that it makes the mobo not turn on at all unless it is not touching the case, meaning you will need carboard or something between mobo and the case to make electricy flow in a sense that it works. I don't know if what I said is correct or not, but mobo will not have power unless it is not touching the case.

lol foret the standoffs thats why u cat tryst reviews all the tme 

My Personal Computer

Peripherals

My personal favorite was a motherboard review I saw way back when. Some hapless builder was unhappy that the board only had two fan headers and his case had mounts for many more, so he daisy-chained the living hell out of the CPU fan header (because, I mean, go big or go home, right?) then complained that the motherboard didn't work.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

There will always be a few from stupid people (as pointed out already) and from those who were unlucky and genuinely did have a bad experience through no fault of their own, but as long as the number is low and there are a lot of 4 and 5 star your'e probably fine.  That said, if there is a proportionately significant number of 1 star, might want to give it a second thought.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Only if they are relevant. If for example you see a post like "I bought it and it didn't even work" well it's likely that guy got w dead on arrival product and instead of returning it went on an angry rampage and gave a bad review. Sometimes that kind of stuff just happens and it's not necessarily a problem with the product in question. Personally I just look for a few reviews on youTube or something and maybe a forum or two. Amazon reviews are mostly garbage anyways. Allot of the people have limited knowledge about the product they just bought.

6 hours ago, Vernw3 said:

there wll always be worse 1 star because f you et a product t doset work you waa tell people 

Did you have a stroke while typing this comment? ;s

Just now, coolkingler1 said:

Did you have a stroke while typing this comment? ;s

HALF MY KEYS ARE BROKE 

My Personal Computer

Peripherals

12 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

HALF MY KEYS ARE BROKE 

Ooh okay. :P

I think review scores on sites like Amazon are very tricky to interpret correctly. You can't just blindly look at the review score to determine if a product is good or bad.

We have all seen those "it didn't work because I did something wrong and now I am mad. 1 star!" reviews, but a good score can sometimes be misleading too.

I used to have a screenshot of this Rosewill power supply I found on Newegg. It had gotten a 5 star review because "It lasted for 6 months before it broke which was more than I expected".

The thing you want to look for in online reviews is consistency.  If the 1-2 star reviews all identify the same issues than it likely is an issue with the product.  If you run into a couple that say it didn't work its probably a small percentage defect or user error.  If the overall rating is 3 to 3.5 stars thats when you want to be skeptical of the overall product.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, Vernw3 said:

HALF MY KEYS ARE BROKE 

Guess CAPS is not one of them :P

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C