The road to 4Ghz...

Hello everyone, 

I've recently bought a Ryzen 5 1600 cpu and I absolutely want to get the most out of it. With it I bought an Asus Prime B350 Plus mobo and a Kraken X62 280mm liquid AIO. Until now I've only managed to get a 3.9Ghz overclock at 1.375 volts. The temperatures only reach 56 degrees. Whenever I go higher, the system boots but crashes when I load up a stress test in AIDA64. Setting the voltage to 1.45 volts makes the stress test a second longer. Temperatures reach 62 degrees. The only settings I've touched in the bios are the core ratio, the voltage and I've set the VRM Phases to their maximum performance. Changing the load line calibration didn't help much either so I set that to auto. Their are other settings like SOC voltage and others but I don't know if this will help with system stability. 

I know that I didn't won the silicon lottery but I still want to try to hit a stable 4.0Ghz overclock. 

Maybe one of you can help me. 

Thanks!

Luck, Asus or AsRock board and good cooling

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You could try go a bit higher, try for 3.925, and then 3.95. That should help you get a bit more.

My ryzen chip is the same about 4.1Ghz. It simply won't run benchmarks, even at 1.45v.

Set the load line calibrated to max. Then bumping the multiplier by 0.25 should help you find the voltage wall of your particular chip.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Yeah...I guess it could be the board also. I have had interesting results when having different boards for my 6600k. On the cheapish z170 from MSI I just barely got 4.4, on the Asus z170i I got 4.7 stable without putting much effort into it. 

Also the chip just might not be the greatest. Mine only goes up to 3.8 atm because I have a bios bug...

There are multiple things that can effect an overclock. Personally I think the difference between 3.9 and 4.0 is not worth it to invest hours of testing etc. ... then again when I first learned overclocking on my 2500k I spent days doing nothing else, but trying to optimize it just to see how far it could go...not that I ever needed it.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Isn't it a bit dangerous to set the load line calibration to max when you already use such high voltage, or is it better? Load line calibration is still new for me and I havn't figured it out properly... 

And yeah it could be the board too. I regret it that i've bought that board and not one with more phases... But who knows if that would've helpt.... And yeah I'm probably not going to run it at 4Ghz all the thime its just to see how far I can push it. 

29 minutes ago, Lou said:

Hello everyone, 

I've recently bought a Ryzen 5 1600 cpu and I absolutely want to get the most out of it. With it I bought an Asus Prime B350 Plus mobo and a Kraken X62 280mm liquid AIO. Until now I've only managed to get a 3.9Ghz overclock at 1.375 volts. The temperatures only reach 56 degrees. Whenever I go higher, the system boots but crashes when I load up a stress test in AIDA64. Setting the voltage to 1.45 volts makes the stress test a second longer. Temperatures reach 62 degrees. The only settings I've touched in the bios are the core ratio, the voltage and I've set the VRM Phases to their maximum performance. Changing the load line calibration didn't help much either so I set that to auto. Their are other settings like SOC voltage and others but I don't know if this will help with system stability. 

I know that I didn't won the silicon lottery but I still want to try to hit a stable 4.0Ghz overclock. 

Maybe one of you can help me. 

Thanks!

First off, ensure you have the latest bios version.  If you're wanting to see if your Ryzen 5 1600 can hit 4GHz, crank the CPU Vcore to 1.45v, and the CPU LLC setting to Extreme.  I'm not sure, but I think VDDCR_SOC (or however it's spelled) is tied to ram stability, but it can't hurt to put it at 1.1v.  Try to run an Aida64 stress test for at least 1 hour (overnight is better as I've had tests crash at the 4-5hr mark).  If it's not going to be stable at those max settings, it's probably not going to happen.

I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and I'm unable to hit 4GHz.  Unfortunately, my ASRock board doesn't have LLC or SOC settings.  I can do 3.95 at 1.45v, but I'm not comfortable running with my voltage above 1.4.  I'm satisfied running at 3.8GHz at 1.35v at around 63c with Noctua.  My Setup

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

Isn't it a bit dangerous to set the load line calibration to max when you already use such high voltage, or is it better? Load line calibration is still new for me and I havn't figured it out properly... 

And yeah it could be the board too. I regret it that i've bought that board and not one with more phases... But who knows if that would've helpt.... And yeah I'm probably not going to run it at 4Ghz all the thime its just to see how far I can push it. 

The Asus Prime B350-Plus is probably one of the better choices in the B350 category of any maker.  I bookmarked a YouTube video I found last week that seems rather informative.  The guy seems extremely knowledgeable about boards and gpus.  In the video he goes over the various B350 boards talking about their VRMs and phases.  At around the 20 minute mark, he mentions your particular board.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

snip

QUOTE US SO WE KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE REPLIED!!!!!!!!!

I have LLC set to max with my crosshair VI hero. The voltage will never go above what you set in bios. All LLC does is stop it sagging under load.

There is quite a good video by der8auer about it.:

I have custom p-states setup, to allow the processor to throttle, so its not running at 4.05GHz, 1.42v all day.

Definitely get the latest BIOS. Vdd SOC is the PCH controller voltage at the die. it only helps with RAM stability. Setting it to anything will not help with CPU overclock. I currently have it set to auto, and my 3466MHz memory overclock is perfectly stable.

Ryzen hits a voltage wall around 4GHz, so it wouldn't surprise me if you can't reach it. Only the very top chips can get to 4.1GHz, and thats a struggle.

Here is an overclock guide for the chip. It states that most 1600s will be able to reach 3.9 -4.0 GHz, so I'd try push for 3.95GHz or something.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-1600-review,23.html

4 minutes ago, johndms said:

snip

Thanks for that. Currently looking at a budget overclocking build for my brother. Good to find reviewers who actually test stuff.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

5 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

QUOTE US SO WE KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE REPLIED!!!!!!!!!

I have LLC set to max with my crosshair VI hero. The voltage will never go above what you set in bios. All LLC does is stop it sagging under load.

There is quite a good video by der8auer about it.:

I have custom p-states setup, to allow the processor to throttle, so its not running at 4.05GHz, 1.42v all day.

Definitely get the latest BIOS. Vdd SOC is the PCH controller voltage at the die. it only helps with RAM stability. Setting it to anything will not help with CPU overclock. I currently have it set to auto, and my 3466MHz memory overclock is perfectly stable.

Ryzen hits a voltage wall around 4GHz, so it wouldn't surprise me if you can't reach it. Only the very top chips can get to 4.1GHz, and thats a struggle.

Here is an overclock guide for the chip. It states that most 1600s will be able to reach 3.9 -4.0 GHz, so I'd try push for 3.95GHz or something.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-1600-review,23.html

Thanks for that. Currently looking at a budget overclocking build for my brother. Good to find reviewers who actually test stuff.

Yes it is that video that made me a bit scared about those voltage spikes but I didn't quite understand it (english is not my native language) but I get it now, And I will take a look at the overclocking guide. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, johndms said:

The Asus Prime B350-Plus is probably one of the better choices in the B350 category of any maker.  I bookmarked a YouTube video I found last week that seems rather informative.  The guy seems extremely knowledgeable about boards and gpus.  In the video he goes over the various B350 boards talking about their VRMs and phases.  At around the 20 minute mark, he mentions your particular board.

Thanks, I will take a look at the video

Just now, Lou said:

Yes it is that video that made me a bit scared about those voltage spikes but I didn't quite understand it (english is not my native language) but I get it now, And I will take a look at the overclocking guide. Thank you!

There is also a German version if that helps.. The voltage spikes will be fine, as they only last for a very short time period. Its just good to be aware that they exist.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

3 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

There is also a German version if that helps.. The voltage spikes will be fine, as they only last for a very short time period. Its just good to be aware that they exist.

Yeah my German is much worse than my English, I speak Dutch natively. And OK thank you for your time!

Just now, Lou said:

Yeah my German is much worse than my English, I speak Dutch natively. And OK thank you for your time!

Yeah thats Okay. Good luck.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s