Why are my games downloading so slow?

Hey I just finished building my new pc and installed steam, but my games are downloading unvelievably slow. I have an ssd, and the games should be downloading pretty quickly right?

What's your uplaod and download speeds? Steam generally limits your speeds to about 25 mb

All depends on your internet speeds

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Do you have a wired or wireless connection.

Go to speedtest.net , do a test and post the numbers it spits out.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, dtapemaster said:

its only 3.5 MB/s

3.5 MB?

I usually get 500KB with this junk of a PC. It takes me generally 12 hours to download ONE game.

1 minute ago, dtapemaster said:

its only 3.5 MB/s

thats your problem, ssd dont improve download speed

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

thats your problem, ssd dont improve download speed

wait so then what does it do?

wait so then what does it do?

SSD or Solid State Storage isn't like a hard drive as it has zero mechanical moving parts, it's a lot faster than a standard HDD. So it's faster for loading stuff like your OS n stuff. 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

SSD or Solid State Storage isn't like a hard drive as it has zero mechanical moving parts, it's a lot faster than a standard HDD. So it's faster for loading stuff like your OS n stuff. 

so it doesnt improve how fast i can download games?

no, did you buy an ssd to download games faster?

No. Your download speed is always tied to your internet speed. So unless you have something like 1 gigabit internet, everything else in your system is always going to be faster than the internet speed.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No. Your download speed is always tied to your internet speed, then your network speed, then your storage speed. So unless you have something like 1 gigabit internet, the other two are always going to be faster than the internet speed.

ok ty, so what does it do oither than improve my boot times, and why are SSD's advertised with read and write speeds, what do these correlate to?

ok ty, so what does it do oither than improve my boot times, and why are SSD's advertised with read and write speeds, what do these correlate to?

Storage performance only affects transfer performance of data from it to RAM (or somewhere else). The read/write speeds correlate to the read/write speeds of the storage drive itself. So an SSD with 500MB/s read and 300MB/s write speed means it can transfer 500 MB/sec out to somewhere else and it can take in 300 MB/s from other sources.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Storage performance only affects transfer performance of data from it to RAM (or somewhere else). The read/write speeds correlate to the read/write speeds of the storage drive itself. So an SSD with 500MB/s read and 300MB/s write speed means it can transfer 500 MB/sec out to somewhere else and it can take in 300 MB/s from other sources.

ahh, that actually makes a lot of sense. never thought of it like that

6 hours ago, dtapemaster said:

Ping - 18 ms

Download- 29.38 mbps

upload- 4.66 mbps

for downloading games this is about a good 2-3 hours for a 10-15 GB size game. 

On 16/08/2017 at 0:19 AM, dtapemaster said:

Ping - 18 ms

Download- 29.38 mbps

upload- 4.66 mbps

3.5MB/s = 28Mb/s

You're confusing bits and bytes, but regardless as has already been said an SSD doesn't speed up downloads for which you need a faster internet connection.