• More storage 
  • More port options
  • Touch screen 

Macbook

• Amazing screen
  • Great OS
  • USB C
  • Super portable

What are your thoughts on this? It would be used for college. This will be a computer I use for a long time. My budget is $2500 after tax. Apple and Microsoft have student discounts. Not sure about Razer. 

Why are those your only laptop choices?

1st off, Razor laptop's are poorly designed and will die out of nowhere, so that's a no. 2nd off, the Surface Laptop is ifixit's worst tested laptop for repairablity, so it is a no since there is really nothing that you can easily repair at all. Lastly, I don't like how the Macbook also isn't very upgradable, but IMO it is the best out of the 3 and would be the one I would buy if I had to buy one of those 3.

I concur, I think you should look at options. Have you considered the Zenbook Pro? It has a massive 73wAh battery. In college, battery life should really be utmost on your list. No one likes the group member thats battery dies and he can't do anything.

Welcome to the forum :)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yea as they said there are other options out there. Check out the xps and zenbook pros.

2 minutes ago, Colexd said:

Yea as they said there are other options out there. Check out the xps and zenbook pros.

I own a zenbook currently. I don't like the plastic feel of the xps. 

12 minutes ago, Mikailk said:

Hi, so I'm stuck between these 3 options. My gripes with each one:

Microsoft Surface Laptop

• Only one USB port
  • Not great SSD speeds

Razer Blade Stealth 13.3"

• Thick bezels, not as portable as the others
  • Not a good laptop in a professional setting
  • Comparatively not great battery life

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" No Touch bar

• No touch screen.
  • Would have to buy windows.
  • No bio identification

Heres what I like about them!

Surface

• Super portable
  • Beautiful design
  • Touch screen 
  • Great and cheap extended warranty plans
  • Windows Hello

Blade

• RGB keyboard
  • More storage 
  • More port options
  • Touch screen 

Macbook

• Amazing screen
  • Great OS
  • USB C
  • Super portable

What are your thoughts on this? It would be used for college. This will be a computer I use for a long time. My budget is $2500 after tax. Apple and Microsoft have student discounts. Not sure about Razer. 

I have a surface pro 4 (which I am typing this on). Its okay, I have thermal throttling issues. I recommend you get the i7, 8gb version. 4gb of ram is not enough if you plan on heavier tasks. Out of all of them I would go MacBook if it needs to last for a long time. If you can I would spend $1600 on the surface. Get a warranty and case. Then save the money and try to put a little money into that savings every now and then. And wait for a really good laptop to come out.

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I concur, I think you should look at options. Have you considered the Zenbook Pro? It has a massive 73wAh battery. In college, battery life should really be utmost on your list. No one likes the group member thats battery dies and he can't do anything.

Welcome to the forum :)

I have but I never really found one that appealed to me in terms of design. 

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Why are those your only laptop choices?

1st off, Razor laptop's are poorly designed and will die out of nowhere, so that's a no. 2nd off, the Surface Laptop is ifixit's worst tested laptop for repairablity, so it is a no since there is really nothing that you can easily repair at all. Lastly, I don't like how the Macbook also isn't very upgradable, but IMO it is the best out of the 3 and would be the one I would buy if I had to buy one of those 3.

For $120 I can get a Microsoft coverage plan. If something terrible happens to it, it's a 50 dollar repair. I could fix the screen 14 times if I wanted to with that coverage. It's also 50 dollars if I want to replace it. So repairability isn't an issue. 

I'm not looking for upgradeable. Just something powerful and sleek. Is there any form of notoriety of the razer claim? I just don't see that being an issue with those laptops

21 minutes ago, Mikailk said:

Microsoft Surface Laptop

•  

for normal use, go for it. 

•  

poor engineering and shitty support 

•  

Dongle book pro, not really worth getting, too many sacrifices for a thin design. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

for normal use, go for it. 

poor engineering and shitty support 

Dongle book pro, not really worth getting, too many sacrifices for a thin design. 

I didn't know razers weren't a great build! I'm leaning toward the surface. Any personal preferences? My number one thing is design with a laptop. 

Just now, Mikailk said:

I didn't know razers weren't a great build! I'm leaning toward the surface. Any personal preferences? My number one thing is design with a laptop. 

XPS 13 is solid, Surface devices have excellent build quality. 

Just now, Mikailk said:

I didn't know razers weren't a great build!

nope, too many poor choices when designing it 

3 minutes ago, Mikailk said:

I like the Elitebook HP lineup, they are well built and look nice IMO. I rekon you should consider them. 

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

XPS 13 is solid, Surface devices have excellent build quality. 

nope, too many poor choices when designing it 

The inch bezel is gross

Check out the X1 Carbon from Lenovo. 

Great build, weight, design, warranty, etc 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Check out the X1 Carbon from Lenovo. 

Great build, weight, design, warranty, etc 

The keyboard is probably great, but it looks like it's from 2005. Otherwise a great computer internally!

6 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Try the lg gram it's got everything you want

or the xps 13

The LG Gram could be a better build quality in my opinion. Plastic bezel, things like that.

15 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I like the Elitebook HP lineup, they are well built and look nice IMO. I rekon you should consider them. 

I was skeptical, but that Folio does look dang good... The only thing is that it's unfortunately 6th gen Intel, not 7th.

Edit: it's a core M series ewwwwwwwww

24 minutes ago, Mikailk said:

The inch bezel is gross

Inch bezel on what? The XPS is near bezel-less.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

dongle book pro ? absolutely

18 hours ago, Mikailk said:

Hi, so I'm stuck between these 3 options. My gripes with each one:

Microsoft Surface Laptop

• Only one USB port
  • Not great SSD speeds

• Thick bezels, not as portable as the others
  • Not a good laptop in a professional setting
  • Comparatively not great battery life

• No touch screen.
  • Would have to buy windows.
  • No bio identification

Heres what I like about them!

Surface

• Super portable
  • Beautiful design
  • Touch screen 
  • Great and cheap extended warranty plans
  • Windows Hello

Blade

• RGB keyboard
  • More storage 
  • More port options
  • Touch screen 

Macbook

• Amazing screen
  • Great OS
  • USB C
  • Super portable

surface book, nearly prefect except outdated. if u dont need pen 2in1 touchscreen gaming.. etc get xps 13 and save ur buck

I Really Like the Razer Blade, but even I would take the XPS over it, really impressed with it. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Like others said, why not XPS 13? Or the new ZenBook Pro UX550 with 73Wh battery and GTX 1050? or the new X1 Carbon?

There are also many more like LG Gram 2017, Samsung Notebook 9 15" with GT 940MX, HP Spectre x360 2017 with Pen, Yoga 720 13/15, etc.

Although I'm not saying that your current options are bad. They are good in their own way and have drawbacks of their own. But if you're looking for best bang for your buck, you might want to look at other options as well. And I'm curious as well, why Razer Blade Stealth 13.3" as a choice? xD

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

2 hours ago, ErrystioT said:

Like others said, why not XPS 13? Or the new ZenBook Pro UX550 with 73Wh battery and GTX 1050? or the new X1 Carbon?

There are also many more like LG Gram 2017, Samsung Notebook 9 15" with GT 940MX, HP Spectre x360 2017 with Pen, Yoga 720 13/15, etc.

Although I'm not saying that your current options are bad. They are good in their own way and have drawbacks of their own. But if you're looking for best bang for your buck, you might want to look at other options as well. And I'm curious as well, why Razer Blade Stealth 13.3" as a choice? xD

the razer blade honestly for the rgb keyboard and 4k screen. I think the battery life is awful though. 

I'm not a fan of the plastic in the xps and the gram. The spectre is too gold for me and the ports are in a terrible location. The yoga 910 is a nice option but it has a huge footprint. The samsung notebook i won't get because i want 12-14" screens.