MSI GV62 vs Asus N580VD vs ???

EDIT : I bought n580vd i5/8gb ram/1tb/TN screen - fell free to ask quastions

Hi,

I am planning to buy laptop and ssd and I need some advice...

my budget is ~4000PLN that is something around 1100 USD, ssd I will buy separately - looking at local prices I will probably go with ~250gb 850evo (mx300 is same price and I also thought about 960evo but I most likely wont feel the difference)

so that gets me ~1000$ for laptop, I will be using it for studies, work and sometimes to game so gaming will be the "toughest" task that laptop will face, games I played the most recently are WoT, GRID Autosport and GTA online. I don't want OS (already have w10), 15.6" 1080p is enough for me. I am planning to use this laptop for at least 2 years but it will stay "inside family" until it dies or becomes unusable :P , in home I will use second monitor (1080p) in work also if I will get one. Battery life isnt that important to me. When it comes to appearance I would consider non/less gamer looks as advantage(less red the better), after some research specs that I'm aiming for are something like i5 7300HQ/gtx1050/8gb ram but those and rest of config may change depending on build quality and price ofc ;) I will need laptop on 4th september + some time to install all stuff so I'd say 01.09 is the deadline when I get it into my hands

my top picks are MSI GV62 7RC and Asus N580VD

gv62 :

+ ~90$ cheaper than asus

+ IPS

- mx150, looking on benchmarks it would be ok for games I play (not on max settings ofc) but I'm not sure how "future proof" it will be, on the other hand I will probably game less as time pases

not much info about it but I'm guessing it will be similar to PL62, I had it in my hands for like 5 minutes it felt ok but I wasn't able to check screen (os wasn't installed yet) also I'm layman when it comes to build quality

n580vd (aka m580vd) :

+ I like the looks slightly more than msi but I read that aluminium feels cheap

+ 1050 with 4gb vram

- TN screen - 99.9% sure, no IPS version available here so far

- meh keyboard - what the ... happened to the bottom row of keys ? but I guess I would get used to it...

available since 22.08 + shipping time to me

• not sure about cooling & temperatures but if I will game it will be probably in home so I can do something to help it, "daily use" temperatures should be ok I guess

and the runner up is asus GL553VD

+ good screen

+ RGB keyboard = +50 swag :P

- cooling looks quite weak

- dvd that I will probably never use

• about same price as n580vd

• meh looks

other laptops I rejected :

-Acers (all of them) - looks cheap and gamery for me

-Lenovo - if there will be suddenly big sale I may consider Y520 but not likely because form what I know the quality is quite random and service quite bad so if I get bad one it will be a loooong story ...

-MSI (other series) - too expensive or 1050 w/ 2gb vram and meh screen, may think about GE62 6QF if I will get some discount (its ~1200usd now so I don't think it will go much down), it also seems to be quite big

-HP : - Pavilion 15t (or something like that) - its cheap but I had it in hands for like 5 minutes - felt worse than gv62, must buy with os

- Omen - overall meh, must buy with os, like better looks of old versions

-Clevo (local brands)- not sure about them, cheap screen, fans blowing on right, etc

which do you think will be better ?

did I missed/didnt think about something ?

Edit:

I forgot about the Dell - meh looks, little pricey, TN panel :/

oh yes, I forgot about the dell... quality seems to be very good but price is little above my budget and have TN panel :dry:

I know its 2017 and IPS should be standard but will I notice the difference compared to TN in daily use ?

GV series probably has mediocre build quality like GL/GP series so avoid them

Vivobook Pro is a good budget yet powerful ultrabook, however battery life is a bit low and build quality doesn't match Zenbook Pro
GL553VD is a good choice, however it's usually overpriced and Asus gaming laptop design is usually a bit worse

Lenovo Y520 has a quite good quality. Check out my review.
Avoid MSI GL/GP and maybe GE series, all have mediocre build quality
The new HP Omen (2017) is actually quite good in terms of build quality and thermals, unfortunately they are priced way too high

Clevo laptops are good choices too

I'll recommend the Dell 7567. Nice build quality laptop with decent battery life, just make sure you get the IPS version, otherwise you may consider to change the display by yourself.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

GV series probably has mediocre build quality like GL/GP(...)

are they rly that bad ?

with Lenovo, as my friend working in "IT shop" told me, its lottery so I will probably pass on that,

Dell might be ok if not price and TN, so price of one with IPS for sure will be out of my budget :/ also changing display in new laptop it's kind of stupid idea in my opinion

I saw the new Omen but as you said price is too high and I'm not sure about its appearance

2 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

I know its 2017 and IPS should be standard but will I notice the difference compared to TN in daily use ?

4 minutes ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

are they rly that bad ?

Not 'bad', just mediocre build quality

4 minutes ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

with Lenovo, as my friend working in "IT shop" told me, its lottery so I will probably pass on that

Buying electronics is lottery, you can't bias a brand like that, every laptop brand can be a lottery, who knows

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

well... in this price range its impossible to get high build quality with high specs so I kinda have to agree to medicore build quality :dry:

about Lenovo - let me say it other way... overall opinion on Lenovo service around here is bad that first reason why I prefer others, second is that per X sold laptops the amount that get returned/needs to be serviced seems quite high compared to other brands according to my "sources" (but I have no statistic data to back me up here tho)

I think I probably go with n580vd but I'm still worried about that TN panel :/ I also have few more questions :

- how does changing thermal paste goes with voiding warranty ? not that I'm sure I want to do this but just in case...

- if in future I would want to upgrade ram is it better to buy 2x8gb of same model and resell old one or it just doesn't matter and I can just add 1x8gb with similar specs to the one already installed ?

On 8/11/2017 at 9:31 AM, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

oh yes, I forgot about the dell... quality seems to be very good but price is little above my budget and have TN panel :dry:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-Laptop-i5577-5335BLK-PUS/dp/B06XFGDD8P - Buy this... or wherever you can find it really... ^_^;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LP156WF6-SP-B1-Laptop-15-6-WUXGA-Full-HD-eDP-LED-LCD-Screen-LP156WF6-SPB1-/401326503129?hash=item5d70ec74d9:g:13YAAOSwq1JZFsia - And swap out the screen for this.

Covers all the bases that you have. The 1050 is a 4GB model too, so... should be good enough for most games out there. I know my 960M is. Oh yeah and did I mention that this would be less than a grand by a solid chunk? :) 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

7 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

@Imglidinhere, 5577 seems nice but no one is selling it here in Poland :dry:

<~> No fair. That's like... the best recommendation I can come up with!

I'd say... find something with the MX150 and go with that. It's got essentially the same horsepower as a GTX 860M. For the low-wattage that it requires, you shouldn't have to worry about temps.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

yea it's a shame I cant even find it here :(

looking trough specs of n580vd I noticed that there is no single word about m.2 slot... also on asus site I cant rly find anything about m.2 too :/

but on the other hand in the review and on amazon I can see it clearly has that slot so I'm confused ... cant find anything useful on "N580VD-DM297"

should I assume it has m.2 cause it would be weird if some would had and some wouldn't ...

from specs it also looks like it has 2x4gb ram, possible ? if I see "8gb ram" I would assume it will be 1x8gb

Don't get the MSI if you want to use it for anything other than gaming. My brother had a GS63. Upon every startup or wake, Windows set the default mode to high performance, which obviously uses more battery. It didn't play nice with some of his programs, either.

@Snikerdoodlz, and did he tried to contact support or just google it ? I wont be using laptop that much on battery so I don't carry about battery life so much ;)

also

16 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

looking trough specs of n580vd I noticed that there is no single word about m.2 slot... also on asus site I cant rly find anything about m.2 too :/

but on the other hand in the review and on amazon I can see it clearly has that slot so I'm confused ... cant find anything useful on "N580VD-DM297"

should I assume it has m.2 cause it would be weird if some would had and some wouldn't ...

from specs it also looks like it has 2x4gb ram, possible ? if I see "8gb ram" I would assume it will be 1x8gb

anyone ?

5 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

anyone ?

It might be a region specific model. Like the Best-Buy model of the Asus ROG machines in the past? They'd have different specs tailored specifically to the competition and usually made them worse in some way that you'd have to KNOW about well beforehand to notice. There was rather little info on those as well. :/ 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

I asked seller about specs ( N580VD-DM297 ) and he replied :

1. ram will be 2x4gb on 8gb models and not 1x8 like I thought so...

2. they got info that there will be no M.2 slot but there is a chance it will have M.2 - once laptops arrive to them they will check it how it is in real life ...

if it wont have M.2 then it will be perfect example how to ruin decent notebook :(

but for now I guess I have to wait until they arrive...

45 minutes ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

I asked seller about specs ( N580VD-DM297 ) and he replied :

1. ram will be 2x4gb on 8gb models and not 1x8 like I thought so...

2. they got info that there will be no M.2 slot but there is a chance it will have M.2 - once laptops arrive to them they will check it how it is in real life ...

if it wont have M.2 then it will be perfect example how to ruin decent notebook :(

but for now I guess I have to wait until they arrive...

It has a M.2 slot. Not NVMe supported though.

The N580VD has a poor battery life and mediocre build quality so keep that in mind. If you don't mind portability I strongly suggest you to get the Dell 5577/7567 (IPS display) or other alternatives like Lenovo Y520, Acer Nitro 5/VX15 (IPS display), Clevo N850HK1

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

@ZM Fong

On 12.08.2017 at 0:30 PM, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

well... in this price range its impossible to get high build quality with high specs so I kinda have to agree to medicore build quality :dry:

no dell 5577 here and 7567 only with TN screen (which is more expensive than n580vd), lenovo is probably same build quality if not worse, and as I already said I don't like acers looks :/

I also asked asus support about m.2 but from their reply it seems like even they dont know ...

43 minutes ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

@ZM Fong

no dell 5577 here and 7567 only with TN screen (which is more expensive than n580vd), lenovo is probably same build quality if not worse, and as I already said I don't like acers looks :/

I also asked asus support about m.2 but from their reply it seems like even they dont know ...

If you don't mind the battery life of N580VD just go for it. It's a good budget, portable yet powerful laptop. Just make sure you undervolt the CPU and GPU.

Consider Clevo custom laptops as well

Asus support kinda sucks

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.08.2017 at 11:44 AM, ZM Fong said:

mediocre build quality

"wrong" - Donald J Trump

bought that asus, build quality is above mediocre - its actually quite good, tn panel is meh... quick play of gta5@high@1080p, no problems with fps ofc ;) gpu avg~79C, cpu avg~85C (90C max), this baby gets craaazy hot under load so hot that it is not comfortable to touch some parts of keyboard, but in everyday use it is ok, fans are not disturbing unless you are in quiet place

@ZM Fong

I see you wanted to undervolt your 1050 here

did you manage to do that ? can you say more about that ?

3 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

did you manage to do that ? can you say more about that ?

Check my review on my Y520

Undervolted both CPU and GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I'm also not sure if I should get the Vivobook pro N580VD or the Lenovo Legion Y520... 

I don't care so much about gaming, I just need a laptop for school with minimum an I7 and 16GB ram. I would like an ultrabook but they almost always lack Ethernet ports.

Here in Belgium they are priced:

€1349  Vivobook pro (N580VD-E4392T)

€1149 Y520 (15IKBN)

So the Y520 is €200 cheaper and has a GTX1050ti over GTX1050... But the N580VD just looks a lot more poratable and sexy. but I wonder if there's a big difference in build quality? Also how do the screens compare next to each other?

3 hours ago, Denisuu said:

I'm also not sure if I should get the Vivobook pro N580VD or the Lenovo Legion Y520... 

I don't care so much about gaming, I just need a laptop for school with minimum an I7 and 16GB ram. I would like an ultrabook but they almost always lack Ethernet ports.

€1149 Y520 (15IKBN)

So the Y520 is €200 cheaper and has a GTX1050ti over GTX1050... But the N580VD just looks a lot more poratable and sexy. but I wonder if there's a big difference in build quality? Also how do the screens compare next to each other?

Here's a video to get an idea of the Y520s build quality

Unfortunately they're so little information on the N580 aside from one review HERE.

I was considering the N580 myself but the lack of reviews on the thing is preventing me from making an informed decision and I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering one online and then returning it. 

20 hours ago, Denisuu said:

Also how do the screens compare next to each other?

@Denisuu,depends what type of screen does your have - I have n580 with TN screen and it there is nothing special in it... I would like to pay more for ips version but there is no such option in my country atm. but in home I use external monitor anyway. build quality as I said is quite good, almost no keyboard flex, keyboard itself feels ok, backlight is even across all keys - you can see backlight under the keys and that makes you think it isn't, I uploaded

@OmJo93, I bought n580vd (N580VD-DM297 to be more specific), i5/8gb ram/1tb hdd/TN screen I added 250gb 850evo to it, I'm not expert "in laptops" but feel free to ask some questions I will try to do my best answering them ;)

here you have some photos

Spoiler

image_2.jpgimage_3.jpgimage_4.jpgimage_7.jpgimage_1.jpg

I did some undervolting on my baby to keep it cool B| :

prime95->small FTT (max heat)
30min, 0mV(stock),  max 79C, avg 76C, min 53C
35min, -100mV, max71C, avg 70C, min 56C
30min, -150mV, max 68C, avg 65C, min 50C
30min, -165mV, max 68C, avg 65C, min 49C //crash at prime exit - didn't thought that it was because of voltage
00min, -180mV, crash at xtu apply

00min, -170mV, radom freezing and crash after few seconds
90min, -165mV, max 68C, avg 65C, min 49C //2nd run, crash at prime exit - here I noticed that it might be voltage related 
45min, -160mV, max 68C, avg 65C, min 52C

I started measurement once at least 1 core got up to 100%load in hwinfo, so far no crashes at -160 but I will test it in games, idle temps dropped about 5C

@ZM Fong, could you post screen of your msi AB voltage/frequency graph ?

//Edit just crashed at -160 in WoT after 1 battle => going back to -155

Wow, -150mv has so much decrease in temps, maybe I shall try it too

Sorry but I don't have my laptop now. You just put the maximum frequency at 0.85-0.875V, 1600-1700MHz

Also, is it portable?

On 8/30/2017 at 8:34 AM, Denisuu said:

€1149 Y520 (15IKBN)

Vivobook Pro - better IPS display (however some come with TN), more portable

Y520 - better build quality, better gaming performance (with 1050TI)

Both come with mediocre battery life, keep that in mind

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Y520 - better build quality

I wouldn't say so... for heavy gaming n580 isn't best pick because of cooling exhaust is not well thought here but for game every once in a while like me it should be ok

portable ? what do you mean by that ? it is laptop not desktop so it is portable :P

crashed after 10 min in wot at -155 => going back again to -150