MSI GV62 vs Asus N580VD vs ???

On 8/31/2017 at 4:59 AM, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

portable ? what do you mean by that ? it is laptop not desktop so it is portable :P

Is the N580VD light enough to carry around?

On 8/31/2017 at 4:59 AM, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

I wouldn't say so...

You didn't have a Y520 in hand. The build quality is good for its price.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

You didn't have a Y520 in hand

and you didn't have n580 in hand ... I actually had y520 in my hands... not for a long time but while I was searching for laptop I went to few shops in my area to see how laptops look and feel in real life, from what I remember compared to my vivobook I can say asus has better in build quality

Is the N580VD light enough to carry around?

specs say 2,3kg, and it feels more or less like that, your y520 probably weights about the same

-150mV : stable for everyday use, unstable for gaming gta5 - crashed while exiting building and 2nd time after changing (audio) settings => going for -145 :dry:

6 minutes ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

asus has better in build quality

In thermals, Y520 is better than Asus Vivobook Pro, Zenbook Pro, FX/GLxxxVD/VE

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

In thermals

6 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

for heavy gaming n580 isn't best pick because of cooling exhaust is not well thought here

no doubt about that if we are talking only about cooling in those two but build quality (like for example is it rigid ? or is there a lot of flex? etc...) is better in vivobook in my opinion ;)

-140mV seems stable, played gta5 online a little temps were stable at ~80C cpu and ~78C gpu

1 hour ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

-140mV seems stable, played gta5 online a little temps were stable at ~80C cpu and ~78C gpu

That's still a little warm even with the CPU undervolt. My 502VM gets 77 degrees and 68 degrees on the CPU and GPU respectively, and that's without an undervolt.

Ever tried doing a repaste? Sounds like your laptop might have poorly applied paste. Common with consumer laptops.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

well... high temps may be because fans are blowing directly on a hinge so the airflow is far from good, your laptop also seems to have better cooling design

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Ever tried doing a repaste?

yes, I repasted my old PCs cpu and gpu and all went well, only thing I'm worried about repaste is warranty :( from my photos I can see something white on one of screws holding heatpipes - probably some kind of warranty sticker ? dunno, guessing... I will have to open laptop and see if repaste is safe enough option, I would also have to buy the paste, so if repaste then probably end of next week

12 hours ago, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

Reveal hidden contents

image_2.jpgimage_3.jpgimage_4.jpgimage_7.jpgimage_1.jpg

I would go with the DELL 7567 it's cheap and its good for gaming. better than the two options you mentioned.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

11 hours ago, Pavilion said:

I would go with the DELL 7567 it's cheap and its good for gaming. better than the two options you mentioned.

A bit late there. He bought the ASUS

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I received the N580VD-E4428T today, I will test it for a week or 2. There's a 30 free return policy if I'm not happy I can get my money back and buy another one. If I do like it I will add 16GB ram and a HDD.

They sent it with a QWERTY keyboard... :( Here in Belgium the standard is AZERTY (Thanks to the fucking french!). I used QWERTY for over 2 years when I was working in Australia so I'm pretty used to it, but changing back and forth all the time is too confusing. So if I keep it I should change my desktop's computer to QWERTY too! 

Also on the website it clearly states that it's an IPS panel. On the box it says: "15,6 FHD USLIM WV". How do I make sure it's a IPS panel?  

I tested the Lenovo Y520 in a store and there was definitely less flex! I also tested the HP Pavilion power 2017 (15-CB000). The build quality of that was better then both the Y520 and the N580VD but 200€ more and the ram is maxed at 16GB.

So now I just test this laptop for a while and see what I think.

2 hours ago, Denisuu said:

15,6 FHD USLIM WV

"WV" probably sands for " wide-viewing " and from what I know this is how asus marks IPS panels, google "ips vs tn" and you will se what to look for if you want to be sure, you could probably also ask asus support for detailed specs (they will need s/n) or you could just ask seller what he just sold you :P

just stay with qwerty like the normal part of the world :P

30 day for return ? is it guaranteed by law there? I have 2 weeks and only if I'm buying at the distance (internet/phone etc) :dry:

On 02/09/2017 at 4:57 PM, Kanapka z Pasztetem said:

"WV" probably sands for " wide-viewing " and from what I know this is how asus marks IPS panels, google "ips vs tn" and you will se what to look for if you want to be sure, you could probably also ask asus support for detailed specs (they will need s/n) or you could just ask seller what he just sold you :P

just stay with qwerty like the normal part of the world :P

30 day for return ? is it guaranteed by law there? I have 2 weeks and only if I'm buying at the distance (internet/phone etc) :dry:

I sent them an email today to ask, although I'm pretty sure the screen is IPS. I don't know I think it's just this specific shop that gives 30 days :) 

But actually I'm really happy with this laptop, just 2 small things: No light when you plug in an Ethernet cable or when caps lock is pressed...

It took me half an hour to get used to it so I'll switch everything to qwerty! :P

My laptop comes with 1 RAM module: "8GB M471A1K43CB1-CRC DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM CL17 1.2V"

Could I add this 16GB module: "16GB M471A2K43BB1-CRC DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM CL17 1.2V"

So 1 x 8GB + 1 x 16GB = 24GB total. Same brand. Speed, volt.... That should work right? Or would I be better of to just add another 8GB module?

Also I tried to add a HDD since I had some brand new ones laying around, but non of them fit :( they are like 1mm too thick!

If I'm going off topic too much I can post this elsewhere :) Anyway thanks for the help guys!

Edit 1: Asus confirmed that there is IPS screen in my model :)

17 hours ago, Denisuu said:

Same brand. Speed, volt.... That should work right?

probably... you can only be sure if ram producer specifies that this ram is compatible with this laptop, asus also says " up to 16 GB " ram so be prepared that this probably wont work

Kanapka z Pasztetem, can you take a photos of screen? Viewing angles etc. I'm from Poland too and I'm looking for a good laptop, would you buy this one again?

I have tn screen = meh viewing angles, I'm not graphic designer or anything like that so its ok enough for me but it would be nice to have ips

pl:

ja mam ekran TN więc kąty są średnie ale przy siedzeniu na wprost wystarczające a w domu i tak mam drugi monitor, laptop grzeje się niemiłosiernie pod obciążeniem, w codziennej pracy nie słychać go przy puszczonym radiu, IPSów w xkomie nie będzie do końca roku na 100% może potem, obczaj sobie forum nieidealny.pl

I have tn screen = meh viewing angles, I'm not graphic designer or anything like that so its ok enough for me but i'm not happy about it... it would be nice to have ips

pl:

ja mam ekran TN więc kąty są średnie ale przy siedzeniu na wprost wystarczające a w domu i tak mam drugi monitor, laptop grzeje się niemiłosiernie pod obciążeniem, w codziennej pracy nie słychać go przy puszczonym radiu, IPSów w xkomie nie będzie do końca roku na 100% może potem, obczaj sobie forum nieidealny.pl

Ok, thanks, how about overall quality?

pl:Dzięki,laptop grzeje się przy grach czy przy użytkowaniu (excel,chrome,jakiś edytor) również? Jak oceniasz jakość wykonania? Widziałeś na żywo Msi GV62?bo w sumie nad nim również się zastanawiałem ze względu na IPS

Good info tx, I am looking into buying an MSI gv62 from x-kom myself. Don't need a very powerful gaming laptop but was wondering about the build quality, have you had it in hand?

PL: ja miałem -100zł za preorder asusa, poczytaj sobie ten temat i tu masz drugi, gv62 miałem przez 5 minut w rękach i wydawał się ok - jak masz salon xkomu blisko to skocz i pogadaj żeby sprowadzili na salon bo chcesz je zobaczyć koło siebie

en: I had but just for 5 min so I dont remember much but asus seems be better build

I went a comepletely different way and got a 17.3 Omen by HP :P

They had a sale on the 1050 versions so i got that. Can let you know how it is once it arrives next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have the N580VD with a IPS screen for over a week now. I upgraded it from 8GB to 16GB RAM and added  a 2TB firecuda SSHD (it needs to be 7mm!!!). 1 thing would have been nice, a led for when capslock is on and a led  in the Ethernet port.

The only really annoying thing is the spacebar is really squeeky! I wonder if you have the same? I have been typing a lot on this laptop it drives me insane!

well I don't get the point of sshd especially here where you can have ssd and hdd but I guess its your laptop and I cant tell you what to do with it :P

no squeeky spacebar here, 1 key was squeeky for a while ( probably right shift but I don't remember ) but now it is ok, the touchpad could be move little more to the right because sometimes when I type I touch it with my left hand and cursor starts to move, anyone tested display via usbc ?