PS4 Pro Question about 4k Compatibility.

Ryujin2003

I have been holding off on getting a console for a while, and have been playing on my PC for the most part. I have a PS3 that came out in 2008, and its crapping out. I really only use it for Little Big Planet for my kid.

Anyways, I have been waiting for the new Gran Turismo Sport to come out. On it's webpage, it claims to be 4k HDR compatible if you have a TV that supports it. I have a Sony Bravia 4k HDR with 3D compatibility, so that part I'm fine with... But does the PS4 Pro actually output to 4k or is it upscaled? I thought this was part of the console argument about PS4 Pro not outputting true 4k. I have looked online and find both to be rumored truths. Will purchasing the PS4 Pro actually give me real true 4K visuals or will it be upscaled?

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a PS4 Pro refresh coming sometime this fall. Is this also true? I would be pretty pissed getting a PS4 Pro only to have it be replaced in a month or two.

Thank you to anyone who can provide some solid insight into this. I'm very PC educated, but haven't spent much time with consoles other than the occasional repair for clients.

Most PS4 Pro enabled games are rendered at some resolution higher than 1080p but not 4K and then upscaled. There are a few games that do render in 4K, and I have feeling Gran Turismo will be one of them (because it's a "gotta show off the PlayStation" game)

And there's nothing in the pipe about any new PlayStation 4 revisions. The PS4 Pro hasn't even been out for a year, it'd be stupid to release yet another upgrade or even a brand new console this early.

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I have been holding off on getting a console for a while, and have been playing on my PC for the most part. I have a PS3 that came out in 2008, and its crapping out. I really only use it for Little Big Planet for my kid.

Anyways, I have been waiting for the new Gran Turismo Sport to come out. On it's webpage, it claims to be 4k HDR compatible if you have a TV that supports it. I have a Sony Bravia 4k HDR with 3D compatibility, so that part I'm fine with... But does the PS4 Pro actually output to 4k or is it upscaled? I thought this was part of the console argument about PS4 Pro not outputting true 4k. I have looked online and find both to be rumored truths. Will purchasing the PS4 Pro actually give me real true 4K visuals or will it be upscaled?

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a PS4 Pro refresh coming sometime this fall. Is this also true? I would be pretty pissed getting a PS4 Pro only to have it be replaced in a month or two.

Thank you to anyone who can provide some solid insight into this. I'm very PC educated, but haven't spent much time with consoles other than the occasional repair for clients.

IIRC it's upscaled 4k. At least from what I heard long ago when it was rumored. Havent kept up on console peasents *ahem* (sorry, elitest in me) alternate gaming option news

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

There are some games that play at native 4k on PS4 Pro. For instance, in The Last of Us Remastered you have the choice of 1800p upscaled to 4k at 60 fps or native 4k at 30 fps. Since the Gran Turismo games seem to be really well optimized (I remember one of them on PS2 could run at 720p) maybe there's a chance of native 4k on the upcoming one. But most games render at 1800p internally on PS4 Pro, with a few native 4k, a few 1440p, and many straight up 1080p.