4K Projector Setup: 4 Projectors

So my father has always wanted an incredible Home-Theater set up to watch his movies, and looking around online, he now wants a projector to display an image roughly 100" big. 

Because I am the tech support in my house, I told him simply: " If you want a great image, you need a high resolution" and explained that a 1080p image on a 100" screen won't look nearly as good as a 4K image on a 100" screen. 

With some research we found 4K projectors (the 'non-sketchy' ones) ranged from $2,000-$30,000

That's a bit much...

So I had this genius idea (based on Linus Tech Tips:)

What if I bought 4; 1080p projectors and hooked them up like Linus did. (1080p projectors can be found from $50-$150 a pop)

I think it should work, right?

Each projector displays one, 50" image and they combine up to a 100" diagonal screen at 4K. and better yet, It should be bezel-less if I aimed them correctly.

I have only ever used TVs and Monitors, never once got to play with a projector; much less 4.

Is this a legit Idea? Is there a property of projectors that would make it impossible?  I'm starting to get hyped and I'd like to know sooner rather than later if I'm wasting my time.

I've done this with two smaller projectors before and prepare to spend hours lining them up , and pray to god they all produce EXACTLY the same color temperature and brightness. Chances are if you are buying 50$ projectors , they are going to be crap. 

Not to mention 4x the electricity , 4x the bulbs , 4x the noise , and having to turn all four of them on and off just to watch a movie. 

I've done this with two smaller projectors before and prepare to spend hours lining them up , and pray to god they all produce EXACTLY the same color temperature and brightness. Chances are if you are buying 50$ projectors , they are going to be crap. 

I understand, I have found a 1080p projector that is on sale and is usually 160$ and now is about 90$ so they would be 4 exact copies of one another. I don't mind the setup, and the time I'll take, but you're saying there's a chance?

It's 4 times less reliable than a normal single projector too. and let me say , a 160$ projector is also going to be crap. 

I'm not going to say it's impossible , it's just not a good way to go about it. 

you're going to spend (i assume) about 400$ on 4 cheapo projectors that hopefully will make a cheapo 4k image instead of buying one high quality 1080p projector.

Heck , I got a 55" 4k tv with a 5 year warranty from best buy for 600$ that will always make a brighter more reliable and easier to setup and maintain image than 4 tiny projectors.

44 minutes ago, emosun said:

It's 4 times less reliable than a normal single projector too. and let me say , a 160$ projector is also going to be crap. 

I'm not going to say it's impossible , it's just not a good way to go about it. 

you're going to spend (i assume) about 400$ on 4 cheapo projectors that hopefully will make a cheapo 4k image instead of buying one high quality 1080p projector.

Heck , I got a 55" 4k tv with a 5 year warranty from best buy for 600$ that will always make a brighter more reliable and easier to setup and maintain image than 4 tiny projectors.

Please listen to this guy. I know you really want the 4-projectors thing to work, but it's just not the right solution. Buy a decent TV, or buy a single 4K projector if you really need that 100" size. Don't mean to get you down, but sometimes hacking something together produces a disappointing end product. This is one of those times.

Thank you all for your constructive input, I will most likely be looking for 1 good 1080p projector and set the project aside until it becomes more realistic with (hopefully) more innovations in projectors in the future. You guys really saved me time and money, I have never used projectors (as mentioned) and will definitely keep all of this in mind.

I gotta be honest.  Working in the film industry, the VAST majority of the films we've worked on are naively worked on at 2K in their workflow.  I mean big, blockbuster, tent-pole features too.  If you look at listings of UHD blurays to see if they are REALLY 4K or not, you'll see most films on UHD BD are indexed as upscale jobs for that same reason.

Simply put, when you shell out $10-$15 for a movie ticket, you're almost always still watching 2K and you are doing so on a screen a heck of a lot bigger than 100".  If you can still go 'Oooo' at the spectacle in the cinema, then maybe 1080p at home will do you just fine too.