Restoring an old iphone 3g

I have an old iPhone 3g that worked about 3 days ago, but when I went to the setting to reset it to factory settings it just went crazy. Before I clicked ,,erase iPhone,, it warned me about my files and that the process might last an hour (pretty normal so far). When it started there was the apple logo and a progress bar. The bar filled up but the logo stayed and it doesn't go away. I tried waiting for the battery to die but when I put the phone to charge the logo comes back again. Then I tried going into restore mode with iTunes, but the computer doesn't see the phone at all. Help please. 

Why even bother with a 3g? 

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

I would say the phone has served its purpose - now let it die in peace.

You could probably get it going again, but I'm more of an android guy, so can't really give any specific advice. Some fairly advanced low-level bootloader software utilities will be required. iTunes won't have this, as apple want you to send your phone to them to be repaired, as then they can charge you for it, rather than let you do it by yourself.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

the phone isn't mine a friend of mine gave it to me to reset it (he isn't that good when it comes to tech). He wants to give it to his kid and doesn't want to spend money.

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2017 at 5:06 PM, Papayatheenthusiast said:

the phone isn't mine a friend of mine gave it to me to reset it (he isn't that good when it comes to tech). He wants to give it to his kid and doesn't want to spend money.

Start with making a Custom Firmware 4.3.3 for 3GS and install it, if using a Mac use pwnage tool 4.3.3 available at the following site;

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/06/pwnagetool-4-3-3-jailbreak-released-download-links/ 

If using Windows use SnowBreeze 2.7 available at; https://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.sno

Go to Cydia and run 'Ultrasnow'. This should fix the issue.

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

You may want to try this: go on file explorer, program files, common files, Apple, mobile device support, drivers, and Install the inf file. As an apple advisor, that's something that fixes 85% of iTunes communication issues with devices. Now being a 3g, can't guarantee it will work, as the firmware is pretty outdated right now, so if that fails, as strange as it may sound, trying to restore on windows xp or Vista might be a good idea as those systems have an old iTunes version which matches the time that the 3g was popular.