Pc shutting down under stress, unknown reason.

Hey tech people!

So for the past 7 months i've had a pc that shuts down randomly when i'm playing any harder to run games (Ark survival evolved, PUBG).
Its a complete shutdown, no restart. As if i flip the switch. 
The issues started back in december when i switched my Motherboard/MEM/CPU. 
During a attempt to try and fix this with people on this forum back then we "found" the issue to be the PSU, which i replaced and upgraded.
Unfortunately this didnt fix the issue, the pc is still crashing. 

I have updated all drivers and the bios. 
The replaced parts are sent back to the seller to test for any issues, but none were found. These were the Motherboard/mem/cpu.
The current psu is 850w Gold so shouldnt have any issues suplying enough power.

If you need anything more to help out, let me know! 
at this point i really don't know what to do anymore..

My specs are :

Motherboard: Asus viii ranger
Memory: Corsair vengeance 3200 2x 8gb
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: Evga gtx 970
PSU:corsair Rm850x 

HDD: 2x Samsung hd204ui
SSD: 1x Crucial Bx200 480gb (current start up disk)

Case: NZXT noctis 450

1 minute ago, Godchildcain said:

Hey tech people!

So for the past 7 months i've had a pc that shuts down randomly when i'm playing any harder to run games (Ark survival evolved, PUBG).
Its a complete shutdown, no restart. As if i flip the switch. 
The issues started back in december when i switched my Motherboard/MEM/CPU. 
During a attempt to try and fix this with people on this forum back then we "found" the issue to be the PSU, which i replaced and upgraded.
Unfortunately this didnt fix the issue, the pc is still crashing. 

I have updated all drivers and the bios. 
The replaced parts are sent back to the seller to test for any issues, but none were found. These were the Motherboard/mem/cpu.
The current psu is 850w Gold so shouldnt have any issues suplying enough power.

If you need anything more to help out, let me know! 
at this point i really don't know what to do anymore..

My specs are :

Motherboard: Asus viii ranger
Memory: Corsair vengeance 3200 2x 8gb
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: Evga gtx 970
PSU:corsair Rm850x 

2x Samsung hd204ui HDD
1x Crucial Bx200 480gb (current start up disk)

Case: NZXT noctis 450

Probably temperatures, get HWmonitor and see what the temps are. If its not that then it might be a CPU issue, or mobo issue.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

2 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

an unstable overclock? what are your settings. xmp?

10 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Probably temperatures, get HWmonitor and see what the temps are. If its not that then it might be a CPU issue, or mobo issue.

I've actually been checking temp using realtemp (which shows both minumum and all-time high for current session) and nothing out of the ordinary shows. And as i said in the post the seller tested the parts so i'd have to "believe" that they aren't faulty.

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

an unstable overclock? what are your settings. xmp?

Nothing is overclocked besides the GPU which is overclocked by EVGA, and before i never had any issues with the GPU, only after i installed the new parts the crashing started. (i had the gpu for a year about then)

Just now, Godchildcain said:

I've actually been checking temp using realtemp (which shows both minumum and all-time high for current session) and nothing out of the ordinary shows. And as i said in the post the seller tested the parts so i'd have to "believe" that they aren't faulty.

what are the temps? 

Just now, fixitnow said:

what are the temps? 

Maximum temps would range around the 80 which were peaks on the cpu, mostly it would range aroundd 50.
Gpu would be around 80 aswell but more consistently around 70.

i cant see the mobo heat in there though.

Just now, Godchildcain said:

Maximum temps would range around the 80 which were peaks on the cpu, mostly it would range aroundd 50.
Gpu would be around 80 aswell but more consistently around 70.

i cant see the mobo heat in there though.

Sounds a little too hot for a desktop, The GPU seems ok, but the CPU would be a little on the toasty side, try reapply the thermal paste, see of that makes a difference. 

What CPU cooler are you using? Please take a screenshot of HWmonitor or HWinfo when putting some load on the system. I would recommend Asus Realbench.

Clearing CMOS would be my first go to for a clean slate repair attempt

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

What CPU cooler are you using? Please take a screenshot of HWmonitor or HWinfo when putting some loaf on the system. I would recommend Asus Realbench.

Loaf on the system xD

1 minute ago, frankyrobin69 said:

Loaf on the system xD

You caught it before i edited :P although it would be pretty funny to just have a piece of bread on it to see how toasty the system gets

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

You caught it before i edited :P although it would be pretty funny to just have a piece of bread on it to see how toasty the system gets

Intel announces new toaster.................featuring Q6700

597b622560669_ScreenShot2017-07-28at5_10_54pm.png.7ea571ae03b983f7b18d36880de30c2e.png

Just now, For Science! said:

Dam if only it was an AMD system

1 hour ago, frankyrobin69 said:

Low temp cut out in the bios? 

How would i do this, and what would it achieve?

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

Sounds a little too hot for a desktop, The GPU seems ok, but the CPU would be a little on the toasty side, try reapply the thermal paste, see of that makes a difference. 

i've let this run during a complete match of pubg, normally i'd also be streaming this but this comes closest as i could in a short time span to what it crashed on earlier. And i was already thinking of re-applying the paste tomorrow, just to make sure its correctly applied.
asus realbench: https://gyazo.com/0f5a3e8737765db94db59dbefa0b1c55
HWmonitor cpu+mobo: https://gyazo.com/dcd9aa103b15daa42d24e372de5e8598

27 minutes ago, For Science! said:

What CPU cooler are you using? Please take a screenshot of HWmonitor or HWinfo when putting some load on the system. I would recommend Asus Realbench.

a Cooler master hyper 212 evo is the cpu cooler, and i've posted a screenshot of hwmonitor above this reply, ive dont a CMOS and complete new windows install this week as soon as i got the parts returned. No loafs were harmed during the process :)

Something i've just now found about the crash aswell.
Whenever i crash i get an error message it saying windows shut down half an hour before the crash, but nothing happened at that time.
I've added screenshots so you guys can see what i mean.

https://gyazo.com/ac0c457bc3aa59bf94c580c65ee1816e
https://gyazo.com/42207bb51e1e2678f5ee838276f0669e

2 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

Ok can you just try a 15 minute Asus Realbench stress test using all your memory to see if it's a system instability or something more related to the games themslves.

41 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

How would i do this, and what would it achieve?

i've let this run during a complete match of pubg, normally i'd also be streaming this but this comes closest as i could in a short time span to what it crashed on earlier. And i was already thinking of re-applying the paste tomorrow, just to make sure its correctly applied.
https://gyazo.com/0f5a3e8737765db94db59dbefa0b1c55

If you are going to be re-doing the thermal paste I suggest you do it like this:

It sounds like you need to re-apply your themmal pate, i recommend doing it like this:

1- Get some arctic silver 5 , Its the best I have found. 

2- Once you have taken the heat sink off, put some TIM remover onto some tissue, toilet paper will be fine, and gently wipe over the CPU/GPU/North bridge. until there is no paste left. 

3- Wait 2-3 minutes

4- Wipe all the surfaces you have just cleaned with a material like your t-shirt

5- Apply a line of thermal paste in a parallel line to the longest edge on the CPU.

6- Spred it out, you want a thin layer over the whole die, making sure that you can't see the die. 

7- Place the heat sink down and wait for about a minute to let the air escape

8- Put the screws back in a star like pattern, don't tighten them too much until they are all in, you don't want the heat sink to move at all. 

9- Make sure that it is all tight and reassemble you computer.

Those temps still seem a bit hot. Its either temps or the CPU still isn't getting enough power. When you have the cooler out, remove the CPU and look for bent pins on the socket or TIM thats in there, An issue Luke had in scrapyard wars series 3. Take out the CPU power cable too, and check for dust. 

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Ok can you just try a 15 minute Asus Realbench stress test using all your memory to see if it's a system instability or something more related to the games themslves.

i just did the 15 minute test, this is what i can get in terms of "results"
https://gyazo.com/be312ce1ef1944ae2155ce41325485d2

8 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

i just did the 15 minute test, this is what i can get in terms of "results"
https://gyazo.com/be312ce1ef1944ae2155ce41325485d2

Ok so if you didn't insta-crash then I would think you should be stable under gaming loads. This leads me to think it is more of a software related issue than a hardware setup, so slightly out of my depths unfortunately. Hope somebody else can help.

The only other thing I can think of is that the power supply from the wall is not so good for whatever reason. Perhaps you should try gaming in another room using a socket that is preferably not overloaded. But other than that I have no other suggestions.

37 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Ok so if you didn't insta-crash then I would think you should be stable under gaming loads. This leads me to think it is more of a software related issue than a hardware setup, so slightly out of my depths unfortunately. Hope somebody else can help.

The only other thing I can think of is that the power supply from the wall is not so good for whatever reason. Perhaps you should try gaming in another room using a socket that is preferably not overloaded. But other than that I have no other suggestions.

I've tried other sockets and it still crashed, and the current socket shouldnt be overloaded anyways :)
Thanks a lot for your input none the less!

19 hours ago, fixitnow said:

re-applied paste but doesnt look like it changed anything. Using the newest prime95 heat test i get 100 degrees but forums also state that the test doesnt like my kind of CPU, and got recommended using a previous version.
Using that previous version i hit 80 and don't go over it.

i had some kind of same problem but i was concerned that was the heatsink fixation to the plate , it seems that can move thowards one direction , my gf has a 212 new 3 days ago (i got experience mounting cpus ) and it seems very unstable if u move with the hand , just for being sure , look if u can move ur heatsink with the hand (dont use too much strenght xD ) i got with my new pc same problem with a nox hummer plastic mount ( the ones that u need to plug ur heatsink to base with a clip) on my 4790k , it reached 90º on stock with aida , switched to an aio that fits very well and strong to cpu and drops to normal 60 cpu 70 cores , now i got a noctua nhd15 around 30 on idle and doesnt reach 60º on pubg on high settings. got coolermaster thermalpaste artic silver and noctua and that changes 2 degrees between , but the problem was when the fan spin at high rpm seemed to move the heatsink (i think) and that can cause a crash in seconds with that temps.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

with my gf new rig 35º with the 212 plus and an i5 6500  on gaming ("second life heartstorm  etc.. at high")

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

just to be sure put your pc on the ground making the geatsink push by its weight and look if that changes temps it can be first clue :D

and if u can look my other post about the 4790k and asus thermal radar 2 picking 1,35v from stock with settings like load line lvls at 8 by default

I think from my experience that if u have some poor airflow that stress cpu so much under heavy fan load + asus mobos with i7 K series seems to put all voltages and current capabilities at max by default or ur heatsink is moving a bit , or all of that together .

I achieved that conclusion because with my aio with gaming  cam peacked me a spike of 86 degrees while gaming at 65º and I couldnt found that peak on the temp monitor so i figured it out it was a voltage spike from my cpu and that seems to be the clue because my i7 4790k was oced by default at 4,4 even idle at 1,35v allways, 1,35 with and 40% more energy from thermalradar setup was a bomb ticking to reset on a spike(with 80 temps like you).