Help I screwed up my ram

Jayliss

I have ddr4 ram which I removed from my PC then I tried to insert ddr2 ram (because I'm an idiot running on 2 hours sleep) and now my PC won't start when I put my old ddr4 ram in. My PC just start then stops and repeats those steps. There is not bois menu that comes up or no activity on my screen. Have I ruined my Mobo? My GPU and CPU fans are still spinning but I think I might have broken the ram slots. Is that possible? Any help is appreciated ?

PC specs

i7 6700k 

gtx 1060

2 x 8gb drr4 

windows 10

1tb hdd

Did you force the DDR2 in? The slots may well be screwed if you did. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Since DDR standards have different sockets chances are very high you managed to break your board.

Thou shalt not force your components in!
Thou shalt not work without sleep!

Well and there's the Linus commandment …
Thou shalt not drop it!

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I think I broke it. Can you repair ram slots or will I need to fork out 100 bucks for a new motherboard

11 hours ago, Jayliss said:

I think I broke it. Can you repair ram slots or will I need to fork out 100 bucks for a new motherboard

pretty sure the cost of repair will be more than the cost of a new mobo.

but yeah never force anything in

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

Get a picture of the damage, so I can amuse myself :P

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

16 hours ago, Jayliss said:

I have ddr4 ram which I removed from my PC then I tried to insert ddr2 ram (because I'm an idiot running on 2 hours sleep) and now my PC won't start when I put my old ddr4 ram in. My PC just start then stops and repeats those steps. There is not bois menu that comes up or no activity on my screen. Have I ruined my Mobo? My GPU and CPU fans are still spinning but I think I might have broken the ram slots. Is that possible? Any help is appreciated ?

PC specs

i7 6700k 

gtx 1060

2 x 8gb drr4 

windows 10

1tb hdd

The notch is on a different position for DDR4 and DDR2. If you used excessive force you might have broken the notch in the DIMM slot. If you did, there tends to be a little give in the position of the RAM stick when you install it. It might end up too much to the left/right, so the connection pins end up misaligned.

If the notch is not broken, the slot might simply be dirty. If you replace memory on a PC that has been running the same memory for a longer time, dirt accumulated around the slot tends to make it's way in when you reinstall the memory. (might be invisibly small dirt particles). Try removing/reseating a single stick for let's say 10 times, the friction will clean the contacts, then try the PC again.