Will an AIO cooler help me OC my 1080 FTW2 further?

Gerr

I bought a new GPU recently, an EVGA FTW2 GTX 1080 (non-Ti).  Once installed, in their OC software, I unlocked the power from the temp and maxed each.  I maxed voltage to +100%, set a custom fan curve to max fans at 60%, then took a baseline using the Valley benchmark for 30 min.  GPU boost took it to 1987Mhz at a max temp of 78*C.  I then started to OC the core, but ended up only able to get a +10 stable OC with a GPU boost of 1998Mhz with a max temp of 80*C.  Anything above wasn't crashing, but was causing artifacts.  No, I never OC'ed the memory as it was already at 11Ghz!

Basically I am unhappy with this OC as everything I read said the FTW2's should hit 2050 easily and often 2100, while mine isn't even hitting 2000!  I have a spare Corsair H75 AIO, so was thinking about getting a NZXT G12 and installing it, keeping the midplate by using a copper shim.  I know this will lower my temps, but not worth it unless I can increase my OC as well.  So, will it?

its gpu lottery. My aorus gtx 1080 ti wont even do stable 2000 mhz

It could, but there’s no way to know. Silicone lottery. My Aorus 1080 ti, with a monster cooler and largest power delivery of any card minus the Kingpin, can’t do 2000mhz stable

Also note that there’s no guarantee that your card can hit any overclock. The manufacturer only guarantees stock speeds. The rest is all up to luck.

I realize I don't have a good GPU for OC'ing, but wondering if replacing the cooler with an AIO would let me get over 2000Mhz?

And remember this is a GTX 1080 NON-Ti.

Or maybe just replace the stock thermal paste with better stuff or even liquid metal first to see if the temps go down and if that allows for any additional OC before going to an AIO.

lower temps won't necessarily increase OC headroom. it'll help improve consistency of gpu boost 3.0, thus sustaining boost clocks for longer. 

15 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Or maybe just replace the stock thermal paste with better stuff or even liquid metal first to see if the temps go down and if that allows for any additional OC before going to an AIO.

probably see a few temps lower even if you switch to liquid metal. and using liquid metal is kinda tricky, as the die is a little exposed 

1080 not reaching 2000 Mhz is very weird, all of them surpass 2050, mine was good for 2076-2088 stable. 1080 Ti's usually stay at around 2 Ghz or less, but your case is weird, I don't think watercooling will help it.

Case is NZXT H440 with Noctua 140mm intake fans and a 140mm exhaust fan.  CPU on an AIO out the top.  Don't think the case is the issue.

getting an AIO might not allow you to get 2000mhz but if your card can do 1950mhz it will ensure that it wont thermal throttle so you will still have better performance compared to stock or some aftermarket solutions.

I just ordered myself a A https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-hybrid-iii-120.html

I have a Founders edition 1080ti that can pull 2100 but thermal throttling with Stock Jet Engine Cooler.

I used https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html

before but my current mobo has clearance issues so i need to upgrade to AIO.

A bad chip will remain bad even with a water cooler. I've got my hands on two 1080ti's, both with reference PCBs, but one is the MSI hybrid and the other is the EVGA Black edition. Both are very bad overclockers, even though one has a water cooler. 

I also have two 1080 FTW cards, one hybrid and one air cooled, and both can reach 2113mhz peak and 2088mhz stable.

If you want lower temps, then by all means get the hybrid cooler. However, do not expect higher clocks. 

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler