OMG! i disconnected everything exept the laptop from the router and the results!

liquidmagma

so tipically i get like 2000 Kbps down to about 100 Kbps. now i disconnected 2 phones, tv box and tv from the router. this is what it looks like. 9_9

i was thinking that my isp is throttling me. doesnt seem like it.

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Uuuughh, yaa let me go have a try too because this got me interested.

Looks like it's time for a new router or whatever you're using if just having other devices plugged in not doing anything causes your speed to drop to 1/4 :D 

Good thing you figured out the cause!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Looks like it's time for a new router or whatever you're using if just having other devices plugged in not doing anything causes your speed to drop to 1/4 :D 

Good thing you figured out the cause!

i guess its the tv box. the speed we pay is 12 Mbps.

Isn't it obvious that the more devices you connect, the less your bandwidth will be.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

This title is such clickbait, i felt like this was facebook when i read it.

tbh it kinda looks shit like this: ''with this odd technique you can learn a language in 2 weeks'' ill give you that :P

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Isn't it obvious that the more devices you connect, the less your bandwidth will be.

if this is a joke it is not clear

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

if this is a joke it is not clear

Some devices will continue to connect, even when it's not being used.

I was the only one using my PC and noticed the speed was lagging. No one else was using it, so I disabled my wifi, since all the other devices in my home are wireless, and the speed immediately went back to normal.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Some devices will continue to connect, even when it's not being used.

I was the only one using my PC and noticed the speed was lagging. No one else was using it, so I disabled my wifi, since all the other devices in my home are wireless, and the speed immediately went back to normal.

well that sounds like a terrible router/switch/AP/all of the above then.  It should be common sense that the number of devices doesn't matter unless they're actually using/transferring data.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well that sounds like a terrible router/switch/AP/all of the above then.  It should be common sense that the number of devices doesn't matter unless they're actually using/transferring data.

So I have to enable back my wifi and went to check all of the other devices and noticed, the reason for the lagging internet was the ipad downloading some update. When the download finished, everything was fine.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So I have to enable back my wifi and went to check all of the other devices and noticed, the reason for the lagging internet was the ipad downloading some update. When the download finished, everything was fine.

yeah that'll do it...

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is not strictly true. A lot depends on the devices and the router. Because of its nature WiFi is a shared medium, this means that only one device can be putting data into the air at a time or you get collusions. The general rule of thumb is that WiFi will slow down to the lowest device.

If you have an old 802.11g device on a ac network you are going to get dropped down to g speeds.

Also if one device is on really bad signal then it will have more transmission issues and will actually slow down the whole network.

Routers get round this with some tricky time slicing tactics and by telling some devices to just shut up for longer. Also if you router has multiple radios it will normally try to steer bad devices onto other bands.

This problem will be largely hidden for most users as normally you won't see any huge slowdowns relative with total bandwidth with a small number of devices.

However if you only have ac devices on you network it will have a lower ping then a mix of ac and g devices.