1080, Vega, or even Volta?

Go to solution Solved by SlaughterSmurf,
7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If you ask me, just get a 1080 now. Vega is unlikely to have a huge perf/$ advantage over Pascal, at best you might seem something like a Vega part the same price as the 1080 with 10% better performance. You almost never wait for new GPUs, the exception is when architectures expected to have huge perf/$ drops are about to happen (Polaris and Pascal for example, back in April and May 2016 people were recommending to wait), Vega isn't the case. Volta is too far out to be worth waiting for.

Nothing is confirmed ATM.

I mean waiting  a week or two for a $500 part seems like a good bet to me. It's like right here. 

So, after now buying several parts I realized I've actually picked a piss poor time to build a PC. Just watched a video now and saw that Vega was out to rival the 1080 for $100 less, and I had planned to put a 1080 in my new PC. So, my question is: should I buy all my components now and just throw in my dinky 1060 into a $2000 system and wait for Vega, or go for the 1080 now? Additionally, I heard that Volta, the new NVIDIA architecture, is gonna come early 2018. So, if I'm buying a $630 1080, is it just going to be made obsolete by the Volta series xx80? So then, what should I do? Help me out here: 1080, Vega, or maybe even Volta?

IMG_9792.JPG

IMG_9793.JPG

1080 now = regret later

vega = regret later because volta might be better

volta = regret you didnt buy a 1080/vega because its not as good as you wanted it to be 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1080 now = regret later

vega = regret later because volta might be better

volta = regret you didnt buy a 1080/vega because its not as good as you wanted it to be 

Yeap. So then what?

Tech is always changing. Like we're pretty close to Vega launching in like 2 weeks so you may as well wait for that, but Volta? Forget it. If you're worried about 6 months in the future for PC tech you're never getting a new system. Odds are that within 6 months there is volta. But then within 6 months of that there are new CPUs, but then within 6 months of that there is the new 2080ti coming out. But within 6 months of THAT there's going to be a new line of CPUs from Intel. Never worry about more than a few weeks or a couple months. 

Just now, Mankasiker said:

Yeap. So then what?

volta because you do save like $50-100 for the same performance

it goes like this:

1280 will perform as good as a 1080ti

1270 will perform as good as a 1080

1260 will perform as good as a 1070* 

1250ti will perform as good as a 1060 3gb

*probably unlikely IMO 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, SlaughterSmurf said:

Tech is always changing. Like we're pretty close to Vega launching in like 2 weeks so you may as well wait for that, but Volta? Forget it. If you're worried about 6 months in the future for PC tech you're never getting a new system. Odds are that within 6 months there is volta. But then within 6 months of that there are new CPUs, but then within 6 months of that there is the new 2080ti coming out. But within 6 months of THAT there's going to be a new line of CPUs from Intel. Never worry about more than a few weeks or a couple months. 

I got ryzen now but I could've waited for Gen 2. Stuff like that. I'm waiting for Vega but that's cause it's like an inch away

1 minute ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

wait

isnt volta september..? 

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

I got ryzen now but I could've waited for Gen 2. Stuff like that. I'm waiting for Vega but that's cause it's like an inch away

im waiting for zen+ :D

3770k still chugging along, i was going to upgrade to zen but my parents didnt want me to resell my pc at 90%+ of what they paid for in 2012 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

it goes like this:

*probably unlikely IMO 

So you're saying, wait 6 months, because you'll save less than 10% on a $2000 system. That makes no sense. Especially considering that by the time 1280's launch, we'll be within 6 months of the 1280ti's launch which will cost as much as the 1280 did at launch but perform better. Then we'll be within 6 months of the 1380's launch which will perform like a 1280ti for less money. ect.

wait

isnt volta september..? 

im waiting for zen+ :D

3770k still chugging along, i was going to upgrade to zen but my parents didnt want me to resell my pc at 90%+ of what they paid for in 2012 

Last I heard it's Q4 2017 or Q1 2018. it honestly depends on how good Vega is. From what we've seen, Nvidia will probably keep milking pascale until Q1 2018. 

Last I heard it's Q4 2017 or Q1 2018. it honestly depends on how good Vega is. From what we've seen, Nvidia will probably keep milking pascale until Q1 2018. 

I thought it was going to be September, like their last launch of a new generation of cards. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

So you're saying, wait 6 months, because you'll save less than 10% on a $2000 system. That makes no sense. Especially considering that by the time 1280's launch, we'll be within 6 months of the 1280ti's launch which will cost as much as the 1280 did at launch but perform better. Then we'll be within 6 months of the 1380's launch which will perform like a 1280ti for less money. ect.

yes because I'm frugal and there's always people selling their 1070/1080 for vega/Volta which might get you a great deal on a 1070/1080 which is already a good card

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

yes because I'm frugal and there's always people selling their 1070/1080 for vega/Volta which might get you a great deal on a 1070/1080 which is already a good card

But then why not wait literally forever? Tech is always moving forward. You can always wait a while and get better price/performance. However, 6 months in tech is a LONG time to wait considering how often new parts come out. 

But then why not wait literally forever? Tech is always moving forward. You can always wait a while and get better price/performance. However, 6 months in tech is a LONG time to wait considering how often new parts come out. 

To me with Nvidia generations:

buy the card at or near launch 

wait until the Ti varient comes 

no way in hell im waiting 6 months. 

I just thought Volta was going to come out in September, which is only two months. A 1060 isn't that potato and two months wait for +10% performance or save a few bucks is worth it to me

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

To me with Nvidia generations:

buy the card at or near launch 

wait until the Ti varient comes 

no way in hell im waiting 6 months. 

I just thought Volta was going to come out in September, which is only two months. A 1060 isn't that potato and two months wait for +10% performance or save a few bucks is worth it to me

yeah that's fair. I mean my crystal ball's in the shop, it may come out in September. We just haven't even seen leaks yet so we're probably a ways off. Also Vega will probably cost a bit more than the 1080 and perform a bit better. I doubt Nvidia is worried about it. They are probably able to keep milking Pascal until Q1 2018 if they wanted to, and they probably do. I mean look at Maxwell. 

i'd wait for Vega - it's not that long until SIGGRAPH. but then again, there'll be AIB cards that will come out throughout august and september, plus waiting for tech outlets to send out reviews once NDA ends. 

7 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

yeah that's fair. I mean my crystal ball's in the shop, it may come out in September. We just haven't even seen leaks yet so we're probably a ways off. Also Vega will probably cost a bit more than the 1080 and perform a bit better. I doubt Nvidia is worried about it. They are probably able to keep milking Pascal until Q1 2018 if they wanted to, and they probably do. I mean look at Maxwell. 

Also, the word around town is that Vega will cost less than the 1080, right? Just making sure 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i'd wait for Vega - it's not that long until SIGGRAPH. but then again, there'll be AIB cards that will come out throughout august and september, plus waiting for tech outlets to send out reviews once NDA ends. 

Since AMD did a whole partner thing with ASUS at Budapest, do you think the ASUS variant for the Vega would come sooner rather than later? I know it's not ideal, but I picked out a bunch of parts with the ASUS aura compatibility in mind, and I picked my 1080 for that reason. So, if I'm getting a Vega, it's gotta be RGB ASUS sync. How late do partner cards usually come out?

7 minutes ago, Mankasiker said:

Also, the word around town is that Vega will cost less than the 1080, right? Just making sure 

I doubt it. I haven't heard that, but ever since I got into PCs in 2013 you have been able to guess GPU performance relative to other cards with amazing accuracy based off of price alone. I can't see them making Vega for cheaper than the 1080, but if they charge the same price as the 1080 ($500) I imagine Nvidia will just drop the 1080 to $450 and call it a day. I mean back then the 290 launched at $399 and beat the 780, the 780 was still being sold for $500. 

5 minutes ago, Mankasiker said:

Since AMD did a whole partner thing with ASUS at Budapest, do you think the ASUS variant for the Vega would come sooner rather than later? I know it's not ideal, but I picked out a bunch of parts with the ASUS aura compatibility in mind, and I picked my 1080 for that reason. So, if I'm getting a Vega, it's gotta be RGB ASUS sync. How late do partner cards usually come out?

i recall seeing a leaked photo of some ASUS strix cards at that budapest event, tho i wasn't sure if those cards were Vega or Polaris. but some vendors will ship out their cards sooner than others. you won't have to wait too long for AIB cards

3 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

I doubt it. I haven't heard that, but ever since I got into PCs in 2013 you have been able to guess GPU performance relative to other cards with amazing accuracy based off of price alone. I can't see them making Vega for cheaper than the 1080, but if they charge the same price as the 1080 ($500) I imagine Nvidia will just drop the 1080 to $450 and call it a day. I mean back then the 290 launched at $399 and beat the 780, the 780 was still being sold for $500. 

Hm. Alright. Got it, thanks for the help! I've been in a back and forth with myself and couldn't decide. You helped me out here. I think I'll go ahead and wait for Vega now, which seems like the smarter decision after having this discussion

If you ask me, just get a 1080 now. Vega is unlikely to have a huge perf/$ advantage over Pascal, at best you might seem something like a Vega part the same price as the 1080 with 10% better performance. You almost never wait for new GPUs, the exception is when architectures expected to have huge perf/$ drops are about to happen (Polaris and Pascal for example, back in April and May 2016 people were recommending to wait), Vega isn't the case. Volta is too far out to be worth waiting for.

20 minutes ago, Mankasiker said:

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I mean waiting  a week or two for a $500 part seems like a good bet to me. It's like right here. 

2 hours ago, Mankasiker said:

So, after now buying several parts I realized I've actually picked a piss poor time to build a PC. Just watched a video now and saw that Vega was out to rival the 1080 for $100 less, and I had planned to put a 1080 in my new PC. So, my question is: should I buy all my components now and just throw in my dinky 1060 into a $2000 system and wait for Vega, or go for the 1080 now? Additionally, I heard that Volta, the new NVIDIA architecture, is gonna come early 2018. So, if I'm buying a $630 1080, is it just going to be made obsolete by the Volta series xx80? So then, what should I do? Help me out here: 1080, Vega, or maybe even Volta?

IMG_9792.JPG

IMG_9793.JPG

If i were u probably 1080 . Volta we duno when it come out. Vega has crappy power efficiency for what its worth from what i read on reviews so far i was hoping it bypassed at least the 1080ti but meh it took them this long just to match...

vega didnt impress me id expect more given how much time they had to devise. And volta im assuming probably comes out march next year (the 1080ti came out official approx march mid 2017 so dont expect it sooner imo) id base most products usually update every year or close as it deems

To chase for number one tech all the time is setting u back more than you actually benefit... imo u better of getting 1080 and be happy . It powers most things nicely minus a bit of 4k but thats all i fan tinker off...

that being said take this as a suggestion. But i guess most people are aiding with 1080 for now.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

it goes like this:

*probably unlikely IMO 

I don't think this is entirely accurate. The 1070 is performing as good, or better, than a 980 ti. And there's nothing in the Maxwell architecture that can match a 1080 in performance.

there's always newer and better stuff coming out. I was in the same predicament - wanted to wait for Vega. Ended up buying a 1080 and I'm very happy with it. it's not like anything more powerful will suddenly make the 1080 weaker.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz