Changing to Mini-ITX for portability. Should I purchase a Ryzen CPU or Intel?

Go to solution Solved by .:MARK:.,
13 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Any justification on that? Why is it better?

You know why.

Hello. 

I am changing my system to mini-ITX. I use my computer for gaming & programming.  I would like to also upgrade from Z77 for a number of reasons - mainly advanced storage solution support.

Should I get AMD Ryzen, or Intel. I'll spend up to about £500 for CPU + Motherboard + RAM. I like the performance of an 3570k, so something like that or better - and that can keep up for the next 5+ years.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Intel i5 for pure gaming/moderate office work or Ryzen 5 (6C/12T) for streaming, video editing, VMs, 3D rendering, and more taxing office work.

2 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Intel i5 for pure gaming/moderate office work or Ryzen 5 (6C/12T) for streaming, video editing, VMs, 3D rendering, and more taxing office work.

r5 goes toe-to-toe with i5 in gaming, making it the safe bet here. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Which CPU in the R5 range would you suggest?

Just now, .:MARK:. said:

Go intel because it's better

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

1 minute ago, Joshua said:

Which CPU in the R5 range would you suggest?

the 1600. 

it's 6 bloody cores, and IMHO the best value CPU out there. 

or get the 1600x if you don't want to OC, as it hits 3.7Ghz+ out of the box through xfr

idk

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I mean if all he is doing is gaming, which he said in the OP along with programming, then sure pick up a 7500 or even 7600K.

Alternatively, you could wait for 8th Generation Coffee Lake Intel CPUs as the i5's and i7's will have 6C/6T and 6C/12T respectively. 6 physical cores matched up with the good IPC Intel CPUs have will be excellent for gaming and programming.

4 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I mean if all he is doing is gaming, which he said in the OP along with programming, then sure pick up a 7500 or even 7600K.

but what's the point investing in an architecture that performs the same in gaming and worse in everything else?

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

but what's the point investing in an architecture that performs the same in gaming and worse in everything else?

Well, he could wait for 8th Generation Coffee Lake Intel CPUs as the i5's and i7's will have 6C/6T & 6C/12T respectively.

13 minutes ago, Joshua said:

You know why.

Comb it with a brick