Help with thermal pads placement on MSI 1080TI GAMING X

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,

Definitely follow the instruction, the blocks are designed with the pads in mind, so if you have a pad where it isn't supposed to be, there will not be adequeate contact and you will suffer temps. A recent member on the forum did something like this and his temps were +30 C of what it was supposed to be.

Follow the instructions.

Hi guys. I am installing a EK watercooling block on my MSI 1080ti gaming x and I am a bit confused on thermal pads.

EK suggests to install thermal pads on various places on the board.

When takeing off my stock cooler I noticed there where pads where EK doesn't show that pads should go.

Do I just keep the original pads there and install the EK ones on the suggested places or just install what ever EK says to install and remove the rest?
I have attached a file which shows where EK says thermal pads should go, and a picture where I have put thermal pads.

Can someone advise if this is ok as in the picture. Sorry, it's my first time with EK-IM-3830046991928.pdf. Don't want to mess this one up with such an expensive GPU.

Thanks

IMG_3582.JPG

Just replace where they were with EK's thermal pads

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

14 minutes ago, Otonel88 said:

-snip-

just follow the EK instructions my dude, and remover the plastic off the the thermal pads

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

just follow the EK instructions my dude, and remover the plastic off the the thermal pads

yeah, will remove the plastic off the thermal pads.

4 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Just replace where they were with EK's thermal pads

if I do this then it's not where ek says to place thermal pads.

Just now, Otonel88 said:

yeah, will remove the plastic off the thermal pads.

ok

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, Otonel88 said:

Then where does EK want them?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Otonel88 said:

follow the instructions

Definitely follow the instruction, the blocks are designed with the pads in mind, so if you have a pad where it isn't supposed to be, there will not be adequeate contact and you will suffer temps. A recent member on the forum did something like this and his temps were +30 C of what it was supposed to be.

Follow the instructions.

• 1 month later...

I completely understand the questions Otonel88 is asking and his frustration.

Just finished the exact same installation and the instructions with the waterblock is poor and very generic, please don't say "follow the instructions" when you don't know the details of this spesific case.

First, the cutout in the metal on the waterblock is not very fitting to the components on the MSI 1080 TI Gaming X board. Several displacements in the block is obviously not present on the components on the PCB. This of course needs to be built up with extra thermal pad to get even a slight fit.

As these blocks are made for several different cards I would love to see the following:

1. A thermal-pad layout for each card. Now it's pure guessing. It's close to impossible to measure (or guess) which thickness needs to go where.

The stock air-cooler has thermal pads for tons of the PCB-components, but the included pads are few and very lacking.

2. Included screws does NOT fit properly when using the original backplate. The original screws has a small head that goes into a displacement in the plate itself. As the screws for the waterblock has a larger size, the included screw does not fit these holes. This makes even then longest screws included too short. It will attach, but only with 1 1/2 rotation, which is a very risky and poor fit, and will very easily ruin the screw when tightening.

I assembled the first card (of 3) just now and as any contact-points is not visible from the outside, the only solution is to open again and visually check if pressure has been correctly applied to the thermal-pad themself. This should NOT be neccesary at all given the correct installation instructions.

I'm extremely surprised of the lack of instructions and bad fit on these parts.  

If anyone has found a guide for this spesific card with these blocks, please post asap! :)