Anyone still playing old Star Wars games?

Zando_

Do you still play Battlefront II (2005)  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• Yes! It's awesome!
    • Nope, too old.
    • Never heard of it.
    • Not yet, but imma check it out.
  2. 2. What's your favorite Star Wars game?

• Battlefront II
    • TOR, KOTOR, etc.
    • Republic Commando
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • X-Wing (+ Special Edition)
    • TIE Fighter (+ Special Edition)
    • X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
    • X-Wing Alliance
    • Jedi Knight Series (Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast)
    • Other (Post below and I'll add them)
    • Empire at War

37 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Hmmmm. Even plain on my Win 10 64bit PC is fine. Could your monitor have done something weird? And which maps did you play?

I did the entire campaign. The one with the short movies with voice over between missions. I think I've played almost every map and there were at least a few graphical bugs per map. The tutorial level, and naboo were the most broken graphically. The entire floor black, or yellow  and red. The game still worked 100%, just the textures showed up oddly for me. 

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

I did the entire campaign. The one with the short movies with voice over between missions. I think I've played almost every map and there were at least a few graphical bugs per map. The tutorial level, and naboo were the most broken graphically. The entire floor black, or yellow  and red. The game still worked 100%, just the textures showed up oddly for me. 

Wow. Mine works flawlessly, only has glitches when I'm running mods. If you want to keep playing it, I'd try reinstalling. Coolest thing about the campaign mode is the narrator is the guy who played Jango Fett and the adult clones. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Wow. Mine works flawlessly, only has glitches when I'm running mods. If you want to keep playing it, I'd try reinstalling. Coolest thing about the campaign mode is the narrator is the guy who played Jango Fett and the adult clones. 

Yeah? I didn't know that fact! I loved the campaign. 

I tried reinstalling it previously and it oddly upheld the glitch. I'm now on Linux so Unless I figure out how to virtualbox, I can't play it. 

49 minutes ago, fpo said:

Yeah? I didn't know that fact! I loved the campaign. 

I tried reinstalling it previously and it oddly upheld the glitch. I'm now on Linux so Unless I figure out how to virtualbox, I can't play it. 

:( I've been playing through the campaign, and it's pretty awesome ( I kind of cheated on the Knightfall level, since I used Fake Console to kill al the AI on the opposing team. I just had to get a head start so I could protect the library. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

:( I've been playing through the campaign, and it's pretty awesome ( I kind of cheated on the Knightfall level, since I used Fake Console to kill al the AI on the opposing team. I just had to get a head start so I could protect the library. 

Oh yeah. That took me a few tries. The game was wayyy harder onPS2 back in the day though with how poorly the controllers worked. 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Oh yeah. That took me a few tries. The game was wayyy harder onPS2 back in the day though with how poorly the controllers worked. 

Yeah. I've tried to play it with my siblings on PS2, but it's like looking through milk. It doesn't help that it's 480p (is it that, or 360p?) on a 48" 1080p TV. And that level took me more than a few tries. The problem is that the Jedi start destroying the books way before you get there, and they deal a ton of damage. The other level are much more reasonable. 

Tip: on level with Jedi, try and be a normal trooper and get the elite rifle. It fires a 3 round burst like Boba Fett's and totally obliterates anyone, especially if you get headshots. 

Main PC 

Hah! Funny that you started this thread, Bob. Picked up BFII on GoG some time ago (May 4th sale I think) 'cause I lost my hard copy and gave it a go and had some fun. The interface is still utter garbage, but the game has aged incredibly well considering. Works flawlessly as well. Out of the loop on any mods and such though.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

6 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

Hah! Funny that you started this thread, Bob. Picked up BFII on GoG some time ago (May 4th sale I think) 'cause I lost my hard copy and gave it a go and had some fun. The interface is still utter garbage, but the game has aged incredibly well considering. Works flawlessly as well. Out of the loop on any mods and such though.

I got it from GOG on the 70th birthday sale. And yeah, it's pretty awesome, and has aged incredibly well. As far as mod goes, you need to install (in this order): The unnoficial v1.3 patch, Conversion pack 2.0, Conversion pack patch v2.2. That sets it up to use all the other mods. I'd recommend HarrisonFog's rezzed maps (the updates them to be nice and sharp), and the Battlefront Evolved or HarrisonFog's 2017 graphics mod. You can find all these on ModDB. And make sure and back up the GameData folder (I normally keep a copy of the entire Battlefront II folder) before installing anything, so you don't have to reinstall if you mess a mod up. You'll need 7zip to unzip the files, and there are readmes with installation instructions in each mod folder. As far as content mods go, get the Republic Commando Mod, it's insanely awesome! And get Auqualaris, it's a super well done mission campaign thingy. 

Main PC 

Holy shitbiscuits! That'll work, thanks!

I'll grab them and find my way around. I know the drill, most of my games are packed with mods, from race sims to ARMA 3, so I should be alright with this info.

Thanks again!

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

18 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Holy shitbiscuits! That'll work, thanks!

I'll grab them and find my way around. I know the drill, most of my games are packed with mods, from race sims to ARMA 3, so I should be alright with this info.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! It's still a pretty awesome game, and the HarrisonFog guy is still actively working on mods. He's trying to improve the game, since he doesn't like the new ones, and he does an amazing job. And if you find any good Stormie skins, make sure and tell me. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

since he doesn't like the new ones.

Gee, I wonder why...

Will do regarding the skins. I've been out of the loop for years, so I'm just now going to start browsing. I was already overcome with member berries when I started the campaign again.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

Gee, I wonder why...

Will do regarding the skins. I've been out of the loop for years, so I'm just now going to start browsing. I was already overcome with member berries when I started the campaign again.

Yeah, ModDB is the biggest site for mods, then there's a few smaller ones. HarrisonFog also has his own site, and is working on a new (and pretty good looking form the gameplay) graphics mod, revamping all the textures. Here's the site: https://harrisonfog.wixsite.com/swbf2modding

Main PC 

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah, ModDB is the biggest site for mods, then there's a few smaller ones. HarrisonFog also has his own site, and is working on a new (and pretty good looking form the gameplay) graphics mod, revamping all the textures. Here's the site: https://harrisonfog.wixsite.com/swbf2modding

That's some really sweet work. Can't wait.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

That's some really sweet work. Can't wait.

Yeah. I'd really love to learn how to do that. All I've found so far is how to munge stuff (basically compile it), but IDK how to actually make a trooper skin or map or anything. And he has down some amazing work. I'm hoping he releases some skins too. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. I'd really love to learn how to do that. All I've found so far is how to munge stuff (basically compile it), but IDK how to actually make a trooper skin or map or anything. And he has down some amazing work. I'm hoping he releases some skins too. 

I've done some very basic work for that when it came to designing car liveries. It's a pain in the butt, and it requires quite a bit of actual artistry. Involves lots of reference material, lots of finessing on templates (that you have to make on your own if there aren't any) and a good eye for weathering and such. It's mostly trial and error and starting from basic assets if the game wasn't meant for it. Like say simpler geometric shapes like scopes or smaller weapons. Sadly I kind of dropped out from doing that stuff 'cause then I started scripting in ARMA3...

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

2 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

I've done some very basic work for that when it came to designing car liveries. It's a pain in the butt, and it requires quite a bit of actual artistry. Involves lots of reference material, lots of finessing on templates (that you have to make on your own if there aren't any) and a good eye for weathering and such. It's mostly trial and error and starting from basic assets if the game wasn't meant for it. Like say simpler geometric shapes like scopes or smaller weapons. Sadly I kind of dropped out from doing that stuff 'cause then I started scripting in ARMA3...

Cool. What would be even cooler, would be to find where the assets and such are for Battlefront III and 13:13 and try and make a game from those. Stink they canceled them...

Main PC 

Cool. What would be even cooler, would be to find where the assets and such are for Battlefront III and 13:13 and try and make a game from those. Stink they canceled them...

We don't deserve good SW games anymore, not with what we've allowed them to do with the franchise xD

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

We don't deserve good SW games anymore, not with what we've allowed them to do with the franchise xD

Yeah. I wanna get TOR and KOTOR (oldy goldies), and I think they have graphics mods for those too. Pretty much the only new Star Wars games is the new Battlefront series. Which is strange, because even a mediocre game with Star Wars in the title sells like hotcakes. Case in point: Battlefront (great graphics, but not really any content).

Main PC 

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. I wanna get TOR and KOTOR (oldy goldies), and I think they have graphics mods for those too. Pretty much the only new Star Wars games is the new Battlefront series. Which is strange, because even a mediocre game with Star Wars in the title sells like hotcakes. Case in point: Battlefront (great graphics, but not really any content).

Yeah indeed. I used to do SW Galaxies, lots of XW vs TF, mixed in with some KOTOR and BF1/2 and Imperial Commando. The latter is actually quite a cool little title. They can do substance, story and immersion with the franchise if they want to, but they don't. It's mostly full on fan service.

EDIT: WARNING, might want to turn the volume down in advance.

I mean, I'm not going to bash anyone for what they like, but I found that bit oddly resonating and amusing :P

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

26 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Yeah indeed. I used to do SW Galaxies, lots of XW vs TF, mixed in with some KOTOR and BF1/2 and Imperial Commando. The latter is actually quite a cool little title. They can do substance, story and immersion with the franchise if they want to, but they don't. It's mostly full on fan service.

Hmmm. SW Galaxies looked pretty cool last I read anything about it. Is it still going? And imma check out Imperial Commando...

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Hmmm. SW Galaxies looked pretty cool last I read anything about it. Is it still going? And imma check out Imperial Commando...

Nah, SWG is dead and burried. It was a very interesting MMO in its hayday. It was something like a mix between KOTOR and Freelancer. But it you find a good offer on IC, it might be worth your time. It's a pretty typical shooter, but they do a pretty good job with the story and the squad interaction as well. 

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Nah, SWG is dead and burried. It was a very interesting MMO in its hayday. It was something like a mix between KOTOR and Freelancer. But it you find a good offer on IC, it might be worth your time. It's a pretty typical shooter, but they do a pretty good job with the story and the squad interaction as well. 

Do you mean Republic Commando? Wikipedia says IC was canceled... as is the norm for awesome looking sequels I guess. 

Main PC 

Do you mean Republic Commando? Wikipedia says IC was canceled... as is the norm for awesome looking sequels I guess. 

Sorry, I'm an idiot. My brain just quit there. Yes, Republic Commando, derp...

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Sorry, I'm an idiot. My brain just quit there. Yes, Republic Commando, derp...

I did see someone is working on a complete remake of RC, basically a sequel. it looks pretty awesome, and I'm hoping it doesn't get shut down by LucasFilm. I'll see if I can find the Alpha vid. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I did see someone is working on a complete remake of RC, basically a sequel. it looks pretty awesome, and I'm hoping it doesn't get shut down by LucasFilm. I'll see if I can find the Alpha vid. 

I remember that too, and I seem to recall Disney giving it a tentative "okay" on legal grounds for now.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave